Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
NOMAD Modern Horween Leather Case

Always rocked the Apple Leather case and would still have preferred that but that’s what brought me here.

I had the Apple clear case to start with but have to say it is without doubt the worst case I have ever had! Better off trying to hold onto a bar of soap. Buttons are also terrible to use, especially the action button. The lack of protection at he bottom is also asking for damage to happen on the phone.

Today my NOMAD Modern Horween leather case arrived and I love it. Build quality and fit are excellent. The buttons are great to use, especially without having to look at them. Easy to identify and have a satisfying click.

Wasn’t sure I would like the bottom of the phone with the lanyard loops. It adds a slight bit of length that has the added benefit of some extra drop protection (If it lands on the bottom edge/corners that is).

MagSafe holds very well on my Belkin charging stand. Don’t have any MagSafe accessories to check with them though.

The black surround feels smooth but the concave shape on the side makes it very easy to hold onto.

I have also ordered the Technically Red ANDAR ASPEN. If my Nomad case had arrived before ordering the ANDAR I prob would not have as the NOMAD case is great.

View attachment 2297324 View attachment 2297323 View attachment 2297322 View attachment 2297321 View attachment 2297320
Nice write up and pics. Definitely try out the Andar Aspen when you get it (unless you cancel the order now). Leather all around is definitely back to the Apple Case design - but a much higher quality from Andar (vs Apple).

Andar was quick to reply to me early on when I had misgivings about no Action Button. They were quick to tell me "No" and "Maybe on future phone models", etc...I have e-mails from them on it. Then about a week later, it was announced that they would be going back on their 15P/PM cases to add the Action Button. If at least one of the two folks had reached out to me to apologize or offer me a discount on a new case - I would have considered buying the new case. But with shipping out to November, I also needed a case now vs later. I also get it, that I'm one of many in the sea.

Another close, but better Leather case vs Apple's is the Mujjo Leather case, which I have and am happy with.

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Tried the Smartish gripmunk after being majorly impressed by the gripzilla. The profile is definitely sleeker, side finger grips less pronounced, no beefed up corners like the gripzilla, maybe slightly less front glass lip. Easier to get on and off for sure.

I didn't like the back of the gripmunk as much. It is not as textured as the gripzilla -not quite slick but softer. Solid case if you think the gripzilla is too bulky or rough.

Apple silicone went back, bottom cutouts were weirdly sharp in hand.

Caudabe sheath going back. Just didn't like the whole case being as rough as it was and gave it a fair shot, really drags in and out of pockets. Maybe the synthesis is better. Magsafe strength ok.

Gripzilla has been on for the last week, only took off to try the gripmunk. This case just feels great in hand, the difference in side and back texture has less drag in the pocket, and magsafe is a beast. If you don't mind the profile with beefed up corners, it's hard to beat this one.

List of potential cases to try
Limitless 5.0-Forest green looks really nice but sheesh $100 asking price is too steep for a case. Wish they kept only one logo on the back, either Mous at the bottom or the M in the corner, just pick one.
Caudabe synthesis - celestial blue or the grey look pretty nice.
Otterbox symmetry- may try to get the green juice if it drops on a better sale.

StrangeMrE

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2015
Nice write up and pics. Definitely try out the Andar Aspen when you get it (unless you cancel the order now). Leather all around is definitely back to the Apple Case design - but a much higher quality from Andar (vs Apple).

Andar was quick to reply to me early on when I had misgivings about no Action Button. They were quick to tell me "No" and "Maybe on future phone models", etc...I have e-mails from them on it. Then about a week later, it was announced that they would be going back on their 15P/PM cases to add the Action Button. If at least one of the two folks had reached out to me to apologize or offer me a discount on a new case - I would have considered buying the new case. But with shipping out to November, I also needed a case now vs later. I also get it, that I'm one of many in the sea.

Another close, but better Leather case vs Apple's is the Mujjo Leather case, which I have and am happy with.
I am keeping the ANDAR order for that reason. Miss the leather all round.

Doesn’t ship until mid November though but does have an action button instead of the gap.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Seems every case he tries is the best case ever until the next one. I enjoy his reviews though.
Name brand cases are so good anymore that unless there’s some glaring flaw, which is unlikely, it comes down to personal preference for the most part.

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Tried the Smartish gripmunk after being majorly impressed by the gripzilla. The profile is definitely sleeker, side finger grips less pronounced, no beefed up corners like the gripzilla, maybe slightly less front glass lip. Easier to get on and off for sure.

I didn't like the back of the gripmunk as much. It is not as textured as the gripzilla -not quite slick but softer. Solid case if you think the gripzilla is too bulky or rough.

Caudabe sheath going back. Just didn't like the whole case being as rough as it was and gave it a fair shot, really drags in and out of pockets. Maybe the synthesis is better. Magsafe strength ok.

Gripzilla has been on for the last week, only took off to try the gripmunk. This case just feels great in hand, the difference in side and back texture has less drag in the pocket, and magsafe is a beast. If you don't mind the profile with beefed up corners, it's hard to beat this one.

Limitless 5.0-Forest green looks really nice but sheesh $100 asking price is too steep for a case. Wish they kept only one logo on the back, either Mous at the bottom or the M in the corner, just pick one.
My gripmunk gets here today, can't wait to try it. Synthesis with the action button cover should be here tomorrow.

Reactions: SweetLou122

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
My gripmunk gets here today, can't wait to try it. Synthesis with the action button cover should be here tomorrow.
Nice, the black tie affair is really sleek if that is what you went with. Although I'm keeping the gripzilla instead, I would be tempted to try the gripmunk in the jade color way.

Reactions: Djones96

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Nice, the black tie affair is really sleek if that is what you went with. Although I'm keeping the gripzilla instead, I would be tempted to try the gripmunk in the jade color way.
I went with the black tie affair cause I'm simple when it comes to phone case designs. I'd be interested in trying the gripzilla, but I'm hesitant because I feel like it'd add unnecessary bulk to the phone. I just checked out the jade color for the gripmunk, and it does look really nice! Would probably match well with the white iPhone I have.

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
I got the Otterbox Symmetry in Ballerina Shoes today. I love it! It matches my pink series 9  watch perfectly! Buttons are clicky and the MagSafe magnets feel strong with my PopSocket.
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0147.jpeg
IMG_0148.jpeg
IMG_0150.jpeg
IMG_0152.jpeg
IMG_0154.jpeg

Brent0n

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2023
My ryan london leather case has shipped. Will update when it gets here. Hopefully it's better than the apple leather
It will be. I ordered one today. Hopefully I get into the same batch you were.
I need a case man!!! I haven't found one I like yet. Using this phone naked for now.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Got my replica apple "leather" case in taupe today. The packaging looks OEM! Case itself is pretty good, fitment is great, cutouts great, smells like the iPhone 12 apple leather cases did. Has the magsafe animation. The drawback to this case is that the magnets are weaker than some of my other cases, but for $7 shipped I cant complain.

Digital scale/caliper measurements: Weight 32g, 11.7 mm thick, 75mm wide, 150.4mm long.

IMG_0217.jpeg
IMG_0218.jpeg
IMG_9740.jpeg
IMG_0223.jpeg
IMG_0222.jpeg

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
An observation; Today I had to take off the Spigen Enzo. The magnets are so strong it nearly pulled off my Mous MagSafe car holder from the window! Strangest magnets I've ever known on a case.

• Wow
Reactions: VaderRulez

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
So, I got my action button cover version of the Celestial Blue Sheath.

Was on my phone for a hour and didn’t like it. Caudabe has been disappointing this year.

So, if anyone wants a deal on 2 Sheath’s (button and cutout) for the Pro Max, message me.

infinilo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2022
Good as new, no dents or scratches. But I mostly work from home and don’t really go and do anything risky or unsafe with my phone like hiking or running.

I do wipe it down everyday because of smudges that you can see from handling the phone.
thats kind of why I talked myself into it, I barely use my phone. Had it since launch day and it only has 9 cycles.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I opened the Gripmunk up and put it right back in the box. I ordered a black one, and you could faintly see the MagSafe ring on the back.

That bugs me. The Gripzilla is great though!

Reactions: AE14

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012

We have tried similar cases!

Did the Gripmunk you tried have the viable MagSafe ring on the back?

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
There are a few plastic cases that I’ve seen here that look quite nice-but I’m so apprehensive after what the Apple clear case did to my 14PM. I like a case on when I’m at work, but I like to remove the case in the evening and use ‘naked’ (the phone, not me lol). Also reluctant when it comes to clear cases because of yellowing over time. Apples clear case doesn’t, but what are other brands like long term? How tight or difficult to remove are some of these plastic cases-I don’t want the finish chipping all around the frame.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Got my replica apple "leather" case in taupe today. The packaging looks OEM! Case itself is pretty good, fitment is great, cutouts great, smells like the iPhone 12 apple leather cases did. Has the magsafe animation. The drawback to this case is that the magnets are weaker than some of my other cases, but for $7 shipped I cant complain.

Digital scale/caliper measurements: Weight 32g, 11.7 mm thick, 75mm wide, 150.4mm long.

View attachment 2297385 View attachment 2297383 View attachment 2297384 View attachment 2297386 View attachment 2297387
It’s amazing to me that they can get away with selling those counterfeits long enough to make a profit. You’d think Apple would have them shut down in no time.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
It’s amazing to me that they can get away with selling those counterfeits long enough to make a profit. You’d think Apple would have them shut down in no time.

The listings & sellers keep changing so i assume they are having a hard time lol

Reactions: Zensō

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I've been using the Ringke Onyx with MagSafe case for a day on my 15PM. Has a very nice in hand feel, better than the Sheath IMO. Buttons are great too. The sides of my unit aren't too flexible and I haven't had an issue where debris was getting inside the case. Only complaint is that they only have this case available in black.
This all the way.

I've got:
Caudabe Synthesis
Benks Amour Air MagClap
FloLab Leather
Speck Candyshell
Ringke Onyx MagSafe

I've tried and returned:
Apple Finewoven
Gripmunk
Pitaka MagEz

I always end up back with the Ringke right now.

I've got the dbrand ghost and rebel gen 5 on on order so we'll see.

Reactions: MM301

MikeyMacintosh

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
California
So far I’ve owned about 6 cases for my natural titanium iPhone 15 Pro Max. Since upgrading every year since the iPhone X, I’m averaging about 8-10 cases a year. Yikes! So this year I made a deal with myself to cut down on cases and limit myself to 3. Here’s what I owned so far:

-Spigen Magnetic Ultra Hybrid (clear): Overall not a bad case and first case I got this year. Decent protection and I ended up dropping my phone twice in this from about 4 ft both times. It did what it had to do and my phone came out unscathed. Also overall great magnets and I had no issue with MagSafe I usually own about 1-2 Spigen cases a year, but I ultimately decided to send this one back. I ended up purchasing another clear case which I will talk about later in this post.

-Apple Silicone Case (Clay):
What can I say? I usually end up with an Apple branded case every year, whether it be leather or silicone, and this year isn’t much different. Since there’s no more leather, I ended up grabbing silicone. Tough to justify the price, especially with its durability concerns after several months, but I just can’t deny the fit and feel of this case. Furthermore, partnered up with the natural Ti, might be the best colorway for an Apple case in recent times.

-Spigen Classic C1 MagFit (Graphite):
Just a good looking case and the nostalgia definitely got me. Magnets were strong and I wouldn’t doubt the protection it would provide with its bulkier lip. However, I just could not get over the cheap feel it provided in hand, and the thick, plastic, rounded sides were a huge turn off. I debated, but other than aesthetics, this one’s also going back.

-Otterbox Figura:
Ended up walking into an Apple Store and buying it on a whim. I noticed reviews of this year’s release compared to last year’s models and many spoke about an upgrade in terms of fitment. It’s thin and does feel good in the hand, but one thing to note is there’s almost no grip and it can be very slippery at times. Dropped it once already from about 3 ft and it did protect my phone. The build looks to be just TPU and nothing special. Asking price of $50.00 and with the idea of me keeping the Apple Silicone, this one is also going back before the deadline.

-Rhinoshield Mod NX w/ MagSafe backplate (Olive):
This case ended up replacing my clear Spigen case from above. I’ve owned several RhinoShield Mod NX cases in the past, but I always had trouble with its weak, loose, fitting sides and the absence of grip texture. This year’s case though has exceeded my expectations. It surely is on the thicker side of case sizings, but the quality seems much improved and I have zero gripes about the fitment. The MagSafe magnets are strong with the raised edges for the camera bump. If there’s one thing I would adjust would be adding a tad bit more grip on the bumper, but it’s not much of a complaint. I have no doubt this phone can provide me with a high-level of protection. It’s a keeper.

-Nomad Rugged case (Atlantic Blue):
I liked everything about this case! Protection. Build quality. Fit. Feel. Except for one huge complaint: THE ACTION BUTTON. The action button on the case appears to be misaligned. You could actually activate the action button by simply pressing on the side of the case, just above the action button itself. It also did not take much effort to press it on the side of the case. I checked the web for similar complaints and did find people experiencing the same issue. Tried to reach out to Nomad about it, but they haven’t said a thing. It’s probably going back.

Reactions: julit0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.