Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

JBinPDX

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
Well... I promised myself I was done buying cases. But then I was over at the Apple store today to look at watch bands and decided I might as well just look at cases you know... They didn't have hardly any in stock, except FW. There were plenty of those in every color. The display models were looking a bit worn.

I mentioned to the guy helping me that it didn't look like they were going to hold up very well. "They're not very popular," he said. "A lot of the people who did buy them have brought them back. They don't seem to be a good substitute for the leather cases." He agreed with me that maybe at 1/2 the price they'd be worth it. He always bought the leather cases also. This year he went with Bullstrap. He said, "I don't know what Apple was thinking."

Anyway, it was an interesting conversation. (FWIW I bought a braided solo loop in clay. I looked at the Apple silicon cases and liked them, but they weren't in stock, so I came home and ordered a green one from Amazon.)

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Thanks I just picked up a black one off of that link. Curious if it will be any different than the one I got off of eBay.

Probably the same, although some people said their magnets were really strong while mine is very weak. I would buy another one that has a confirmed stronger magnet!

Reactions: VaderRulez

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
All this Clay Apple Silicon case talk has my FOMO triggered. I took these on 9/23 just checking the vibe after launch day and I really liked it then. The picture w/ the Silicon and FW Case was regular/default 15PM camera settings. I dialed down the exposure on the close in picture b/c that color seemed to match what I felt my eyes were seeing.

Someone already posted with the BluTi and I love that combo. Could this be my Case #6?

So far:
1) Mujjo Leather (Blue)
2) Quadlock Mag Case (Black w/ Blue ring)
3) Apple FW in Blue
4) ESR Case (Clear with Blue Accents)
5) Otterbox Lumen (Clear w/ Blue) - thinking this will supersede my ESR clear
6) Apple Silicon (Clay)?

Nice thing for US Apple Store is that I can get Mil Discount.

Attachments

• IMG_7919.jpeg
    IMG_7919.jpeg
    991.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7918.jpeg
    IMG_7918.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125

VaderRulez

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2019
All this Clay Apple Silicon case talk has my FOMO triggered. I took these on 9/23 just checking the vibe after launch day and I really liked it then. The picture w/ the Silicon and FW Case was regular/default 15PM camera settings. I dialed down the exposure on the close in picture b/c that color seemed to match what I felt my eyes were seeing.

Someone already posted with the BluTi and I love that combo. Could this be my Case #6?

So far:
1) Mujjo Leather (Blue)
3) Apple FW in Blue
6) Apple Silicon (Clay)?

That actually looks really nice man. I was never big on silicone myself since they normally attract dust and lint. However if you get a military discount why not check it out? You can always return it to Apple if you end up not liking it.

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022

So far:
1) Mujjo Leather (Blue)
3) Apple FW in Blue
6) Apple Silicon (Clay)?

I say you get it!
Thank you for your service 🇺🇸

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Reactions: swerve147

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Unpopular opinion but man I really like the fine woven case.

I’ve been using it in green since launch and yeah it’s starting to show some wear but I personally find it to be the lightest of the cases that I’ve tried thus far and I like its almost velvety feel.

If they charged $39 it would be much more in line with what I feel would be fair but hey it’s Apple and they are gonna charge that Apple tax.

I’ll probably get an Apple Silicone case in clay next as I think it will provide a bit more protection and hold up slightly better.

As much as I like Caudabe and I’d say it’s in my top 4 cases due to its price to value ratio, I do find the texture a bit off putting. That’s just a personal opinion and will vary from person to person.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Fake Apple leather in pacific blue is in. Obviously definitely a PU leather but feels good. Fit is very, very tight. Can feel there is a layer of padding under the surface which actually feels quite nice. Buttons needed a bit of playing with to loosen up. Slightly thicker than an apple leather case too. Magnets feel strong enough.

A very good fake to be fair! I will run it until my YMW lands. And dare I say, that I might stick my navy decoded on eBay after receiving this.

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Anyone here got any recent experience with Decoded? I’m finding them quite frustrating to deal with. Zero order updates 9 days on, zero response from Cust. Service. I have reached out on Insta, but no response, their Twitter acc. is largely inactive with no option for DM’s. I can’t contact over Facebook as I don’t have an account. I get they’re probably really busy, but their cases need to be on-point because they’re going to need to make up for their crappy customer service and contact. If the cases were pre-order I’d get it, but they weren’t. Very frustrating.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Anyone here got any recent experience with Decoded? I’m finding them quite frustrating to deal with. Zero order updates 9 days on, zero response from Cust. Service. I have reached out on Insta, but no response, their Twitter acc. is largely inactive with no option for DM’s. I can’t contact over Facebook as I don’t have an account. I get they’re probably really busy, but their cases need to be on-point because they’re going to need to make up for their crappy customer service and contact. If the cases were pre-order I’d get it, but they weren’t. Very frustrating.
They were a little slow to come back to me with a query initially; i'm talking 2/3 days but once engaged they were responsive and helpful

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
This is the “white” version right? Or is it chalky or slightly grey in real life?

How close to plastic do you feel it is? wonder how well it will hold up against dirt.

Yes this a white case. It is very slightly chalky, but definitely not grey at all.

It doesn’t feel like plastic. It has a definite fabric feel, like a leatherette car seat. I like the texture a lot, but I do question the durability, especially if using the case daily, multiple drops etc (as opposed to a real leather case).

Haven’t gotten it dirty yet, but I suspect it will handle cleaning ok.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
The Apple logo doesn’t look as defined as it should be. I’m guessing that’s because you sprayed the case with the water repellent and the Apple logo lost its definition from the fabric changing a bit?
Between release and now I think I've had five different finewoven cases delivered and then subsequently returned or sold on and the apple logos were different on every one. Some were more prominant than others

Reactions: JBlass421
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.