Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
View attachment 2297959 Yeah it’s the case I’m using now. The power button works great but the volume up and down could use some help. Seeing if it does break in over time.

Ughhhhh tempted to buy a grey Synthesis now. Looks really good.

Kind of have the same stiff button issues with it. I’m tempted to cut some small incisions around the buttons with an xacto knife to see if they can be loosened up a bit.

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
I received my mulberry Apple “leather” case from AliExpress today in the mail. I haven’t had a leather case since the 13 Pro Max so I don’t have one to compare it to. But I think it’s a nice case for what what paid for it. I can see some weird glossy look in the Apple logo but it’s not a deal breaker for the price. It feels nice, the color is nice, the buttons are nice, the cutouts are precise and clean. It also did the animation when putting it on. Besides the weirdness in the apple logo I wouldn’t question whether this was a real Apple product.
IMG_0206.jpeg
IMG_0207.jpeg
IMG_0208.jpeg
IMG_0209.jpeg
IMG_0210.jpeg
IMG_0211.jpeg
IMG_0164.jpeg
IMG_0165.jpeg
IMG_0167.jpeg

Southernguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2015
Hampshire
Thanks for the comment but I don’t want to flood the thread with these takes. Sponsored means nothing to what I feel about a case. You guys haven’t seen any sponsored content with Casetify cases that doesn’t have the action button because I’m not going for it. My integrity means more to me and if that takes me losing thousands then so be it. The outside doesn’t see things like this because I usually don’t make them public but I laugh when I see I’m not 1000% because I’m sponsored. If folks only TRULY knew.
Bro. Keep doing what you’re doing. i enjoy your videos. They’re factual and fully show the look of the cases. People can make up their own minds if the points you raise matter to them. Cases are subjective, what appeals to one will not for another. I for one watch them and make my own decision about a purchase from the information available from a selection of sources.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I received my mulberry Apple “leather” case from AliExpress today in the mail. I haven’t had a leather case since the 13 Pro Max so I don’t have one to compare it to. But I think it’s a nice case for what what paid for it. I can see some weird glossy look in the Apple logo but it’s not a deal breaker for the price. It feels nice, the color is nice, the buttons are nice, the cutouts are precise and clean. It also did the animation when putting it on. Besides the weirdness in the apple logo I wouldn’t question whether this was a real Apple product.
View attachment 2298043 View attachment 2298046 View attachment 2298042 View attachment 2298048 View attachment 2298044 View attachment 2298045 View attachment 2298047 View attachment 2298049 View attachment 2298050
I've never seen animation from a non-Apple case. Heck, even the Apple cases don't seem to show it every time. I am sure the answer is "no," but is there any chance these are early models made for Apple before the decision was made to pivot away from leather to finewoven, or did this counterfeiter figure out how to make case animation work? Either way, I'm intrigued haha.

Reactions: jldesutter83

UnjustifiedBot

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
USA
Don't hold me accountable :rolleyes:

The Gen 4 buttons do fit and work fine in the Gen 5 but keep in mind that there is no matching action button.
I appreciate your info on the rebel gen 5. I received it earlier and I must say, the case is actually really good. The fit is phenomenal, the grip on it is very good (sides and back), the buttons are great, the cutouts aren’t any bigger than needed, MagSafe is very strong and the Flo Lab 3d protector fits perfectly with it. Like literally, no gap at all on the edges between case and screen.

It’s a little heavy coming from the Ringke onyx but that’s to be expected.

Thanks again. 👍🏼

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I've never seen animation from a non-Apple case. Heck, even the Apple cases don't seem to show it every time. I am sure the answer is "no," but is there any chance these are early models made for Apple before the decision was made to pivot away from leather to finewoven, or did this counterfeiter figure out how to make case animation work? Either way, I'm intrigued haha.

This doesn't look like a genuine Apple case (although it's close), so this makes me think that these AliExpress manufacturers have figured out how to get the animation working for their own knockoff cases.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I appreciate your info on the rebel gen 5. I received it earlier and I must say, the case is actually really good. The fit is phenomenal, the grip on it is very good (sides and back), the buttons are great, the cutouts aren’t any bigger than needed, MagSafe is very strong and the Flo Lab 3d protector fits perfectly with it. Like literally, no gap at all on the edges between case and screen.

Thanks again. 👍🏼
Sounds like a great case! I just wish they made it in another material other than be aramid fiber, which seems to show smudges pretty easily.

UnjustifiedBot

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
USA
Sounds like a great case! I just wish they made it in another material other than be aramid fiber, which seems to show smudges pretty easily.
This aramid isn’t like other cases I’ve tried. I had the benks with the 14 and that thing smudged a lot. This doesn’t seem like it has any smudges yet. I don’t like the carbon fiber look, but after having this in person and the feel of it, it’s totally acceptable.

Reactions: maverick22

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018

This doesn't look like a genuine Apple case (although it's close), so this makes me think that these AliExpress manufacturers have figured out how to get the animation working for their own knockoff cases.

I figured as much...kinda cool. But also makes it harder to spot a fake, potentially.
The MagSafe animation when I put my Ali Express case on is the wallet animation. From memory it was the same last year too.

I don’t think they have the coloured animations that Apple’s do

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012

Thanks again. 👍🏼
Nice, I'm waiting of the frosted to be released. Gen 5 definitely a sweet case.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Regarding the breaking in of Caudabe case buttons, try removing and working the buttons back and forth a little further than they'd go in use.

Worked for me in the past.
This worked for me a bit. Not 100% but better. Hopefully over time…but this grey synthesis on titanium is mint.

Reactions: Pug72

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Anyone here got any recent experience with Decoded? I’m finding them quite frustrating to deal with. Zero order updates 9 days on, zero response from Cust. Service. I have reached out on Insta, but no response, their Twitter acc. is largely inactive with no option for DM’s. I can’t contact over Facebook as I don’t have an account. I get they’re probably really busy, but their cases need to be on-point because they’re going to need to make up for their crappy customer service and contact. If the cases were pre-order I’d get it, but they weren’t. Very frustrating.
i ordered their case with detachable cover wallet and it shipped like 2 days later. i ordered from their website but it shipped from amazon. when it didn’t ship next day i emailed them and got a reply like 4 days later. i had already received the package. they had no clue and told me it should ship soon. if you’re in the US i would try to order from amazon directly. they must have a shipping arrangement.

on monday i ordered one of their magsafe wallets from their website. it shipped on tuesday from the netherlands and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow via fedex.

i got the wallet case cover because i can use it with any magsafe case. but i’m currently using the leather snap on case and it’s really nice. very slim, light and feels good in my hand. probably won’t stick with it but just might.

Reactions: Danorak81

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
I have the clay silicone case and not having any issues at all with fingerprints so far, which surprised me. It picks up a bit of dust / lint when in pocket but very easy to brush off, and supposedly gets better with time. Loving this case so far and hoping it holds up.
I've had good luck with Apple Store exchanges on chipped Silicon cases in the past. If it really did randomly occur and it's not the result of a real drop nor negligence, they will replace it within a year of purchase. One thing I do like about getting cases from Apple.

What is wierd is that Apple store couldn't just grab a new case off the shelf. They had to put in a request and their stock system issues a case under Warranty replacement...so I did have to make a second trip once the replacement case arrived - but for a free replacement...easy day.

Reactions: justinf77

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Got a grey Synthesis in the mail today. Nice case, though I am not convinced the back isn't too slippery in hand. Time will tell. This could be a nice bridge case to use when I want something more than the Pitaka but maybe not as much as the Nomad Rugged, which will probably be reserved for beach days and outdoor work.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
View attachment 2298043 View attachment 2298046 View attachment 2298042 View attachment 2298048 View attachment 2298044 View attachment 2298045 View attachment 2298047 View attachment 2298049 View attachment 2298050
I suspect I might be poking a hornet’s nest, but does anyone have a problem with supporting these counterfeiters? Being a person who has had intellectual property stolen a few times, perhaps I’m overly sensitive to the issue. To be clear, I’m not directing this at jldesutter83, their post just piqued my curiosity about what the general consensus is here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lammy

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I suspect I might be poking a hornet’s nest, but does anyone have a problem with supporting these counterfeiters? Being a person who has had intellectual property stolen a few times, perhaps I’m overly sensitive to the issue. To be clear, I’m not directing this at jldesutter83, their post just piqued my curiosity about what the general consensus is here.
I don't buy counterfeits (knowingly) but that's just because I am generally wary of the sites that sell them and not for any moral reason. But you do raise a good point and one I hadn't (but probably should have) considered.

I suspect plenty will make the argument that this doesn't hurt a big business like Apple in the same way ripping off a sole proprietor would be, whether that's a fair point or not.

Reactions: Zensō
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.