Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Southernguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2015
Hampshire
How is the grip on the Spigen Ultra Hybrid? Really liking the idea of the gunmetal version paired with the Natural Titanium.
Not crazy grippy as it doesn’t have textured sides but it’s gotten loads better over the past few weeks. I’m clumsy af and it’s fine for me as I’ve not come close to dropping it yet.

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
Got my Nomad Rugged yesterday… really digging it. Feels great in the hand, buttons are almost better than the naked iPhone, and love the way it looks with the black titanium.. this year I haven’t had a single oily smudge on the back. The back plate seems to be a different material and I really like it. More of a grayish than black, compliments the black sides.. would recommend 10 out of 10.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 142

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Got my Nomad Rugged yesterday… really digging it. Feels great in the hand, buttons are almost better than the naked iPhone, and love the way it looks with the black titanium.. this year I haven’t had a single oily smudge on the back. The back plate seems to be a different material and I really like it. More of a grayish than black, compliments the black sides.. would recommend 10 out of 10.
This looks very sleek. What is the added bulk like? Does it make the phone feel huge? That's always a big one with me, since the phone is lighter this year, I don't need a case that will just add that weight right back onto the phone.

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
Anyone tried the Otterbox Figura?
Want something different and like the look of these but what's the fit, feel and general view?

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
This looks very sleek. What is the added bulk like? Does it make the phone feel huge? That's always a big one with me, since the phone is lighter this year, I don't need a case that will just add that weight right back onto the phone.
I hear that. I will have to weigh it when I get home and edit this post but I feel like it’s no heavier than my Caudabe cases… could be way off on that but it really doesn’t feel heavy at all. The way the sides are indented for your fingers to rest in, I am a big fan. I have it on a pro, not a pro max, so that might make a little bit of a difference but now I’m curious what it weighs.. I’ll get back to you on the weight

Reactions: Djones96

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
i did the exact same thing. after 3 days and no shipping i cancelled my order
Who knows. The case I ordered from them recently showed a label made the same day and out the door the following morning. I’m in California and they’re shipping via USPS, so maybe the wait times are longer with a different carrier.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrightCanon

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
I hear that. I will have to weigh it when I get home and edit this post but I feel like it’s no heavier than my Caudabe cases… could be way off on that but it really doesn’t feel heavy at all. The way the sides are indented for your fingers to rest in, I am a big fan. I have it on a pro, not a pro max, so that might make a little bit of a difference but now I’m curious what it weighs.. I’ll get back to you on the weight
Interesting! Let me know for sure!

Reactions: Joe123Joe

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL

Rugged is a very bulky case, but it's intended to be since it's an outdoors, adventures style case. Here you can see the case thickness compared to the modern leather case

TXYoWq6.jpg

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Looks nice!

Is it grippy enough? Think it can handle drops okay?

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Rugged is a very bulky case, but it's intended to be since it's an outdoors, adventures style case. Here you can see the case thickness compared to the modern leather case

TXYoWq6.jpg
Ah that sucks, that does look very bulky. Makes sense though since it's more of an outdoorsy type case, I'm not that type of person so I will pass, but it is a very nice looking case.

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022

TXYoWq6.jpg
I feel “very bulky” is a little excessive. The sides are bulky but the pic doesn’t really show how it steps down from the black, down to the orange, making it feel thinner than it looks. I agree it’s def not a thin case but it’s not overboard thick and bulky either.

mg51015bb

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2017
Does anyone have recommendations for a minimalist case with rounded edges? I’m a fan of how the 15 pro feels naked, but my silicone case from Apple still feels like the 14 series in that it’s sharper edges. Would love a design that’s more rounded and easy to hold.

Reactions: barry.wiestling

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Does anyone have recommendations for a minimalist case with rounded edges? I’m a fan of how the 15 pro feels naked, but my silicone case from Apple still feels like the 14 series in that it’s sharper edges. Would love a design that’s more rounded and easy to hold.
I have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid (just arrived today) and it has rounded edges and is pretty minimal.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I feel “very bulky” is a little excessive. The sides are bulky but the pic doesn’t really show how it steps down from the black, down to the orange, making it feel thinner than it looks. I agree it’s def not a thin case but it’s not overboard thick and bulky either.
To me the Nomad Rugged is less bulky than the Otterbox Defender, similar in bulk to the UAG Monarch, but even a little slimmer in the hand due to the recessed backplate. In other words, it’s on the slimmer side among the popular “outdoorsy” cases.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
To me the Nomad Rugged is less bulky than the Otterbox Defender, similar in bulk to the UAG Monarch, but even a little slimmer in the hand due to the recessed backplate. In other words, it’s on the slimmer side among the popular “outdoorsy” cases.
How grippy is the Nomad Rugged?

Wish Amazon sold it so that I could return it easily if not satisfied.

Reactions: Joe123Joe

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
How grippy is the Nomad Rugged?

Wish Amazon sold it so that I could return it easily if not satisfied.
The outer frame is TPU which is harder than TPE and typically more slippery. I find it plenty grippy though, likely because of the concave sides which make it easier to pick up and grip than flat or convex sides. Others may differ.

Nomad has pretty easy no-pack online returns through Happy Returns, but there’s a flat $5 charge to cover shipping/handling. Not bad, but not quite Prime…

Last edited:

vine-boating

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2017
The outer frame is TPE which is harder than TPU and typically more slippery. I find it plenty grippy though, likely because of the concave sides which make it easier to pick up and grip than flat or convex sides. Others may differ.

Nomad has pretty easy no-pack online returns through Happy Returns, but there’s a flat $5 charge to cover shipping/handling. Not bad, but not quite Prime…
What the issue with the cutouts that people keep complaining about?

Reactions: Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
What the issue with the cutouts that people keep complaining about?
The cutouts are symmetrical and larger than what appears to be necessary. This is to facilitate the use of a sling type lanyard with double mounting points on the bottom corners (similar to a camera strap). The area around the cutouts is primarily polycarbonate with just a thin coating of TPE so it’s very stiff, stiffer than most cases in that area, which is often a weak point. For me, this added stiffness is a fair trade off for the larger openings, though others may have different priorities.

Reactions: Mr.C and Joe123Joe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.