Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
@Djones96 @Elektrofone

So, I received my Sheath today. I haven’t had one for a couple of years (though it was my daily driver for a couple of years prior to that) and I’d forgotten that I liked it so much. Such a tight, solid fit, it makes the phone feel like a little brick. A few thoughts in comparison to the Pitaka Pro:

Fit: I’d say they’re equal in precision (very good), but the Sheath is just slightly tighter than the Pitaka.
Weight: The Pitaka is lighter, though not enough to make a noticeable difference unless you’re comparing side-by-side.
Protection: They both claim 6-ish feet, which seems realistic. The Pitaka has slightly more rise above the screen and cameras, approximately .5mm or so, perhaps enough to matter if the phone takes a direct edge hit? It’s hard to say.
Buttons: The Pitaka, with its metal buttons, is the clear winner, though the Sheath buttons aren’t actually bad and are definitely better than I remember from a few years ago. The Pitaka buttons do rattle just a tiny bit, which could be annoying to some, but it’s not an issue for me.
Feel: The Pitaka feels more soft and luxurious, though much more slippery. The Sheath feels solid and grippy, definitely more confidence inspiring.
Finish: The Pitaka is a far more luxurious case, with the aramid back that wraps over the edge, the metal camera guard with the TPU bumper to prevent scratches, polished metal buttons, and suede leather interior. The Sheath, in contrast, is a single piece of plastic (TPU?), though obviously well-designed and with great attention to detail.
Fingerprints: The Sheath wins hand down here; like all aramid cases, the Pitaka is a world class fingerprint magnet.

I was lucky enough to receive a copy of the Sheath that seems to be free of any of the defects others have reported. I’ll be keeping this one and swapping out with the Pitaka as my daily driver for a while - we’ll see which one wins out.

DSCF2304.jpeg

IMG_1819.jpeg

IMG_1823.jpeg

Last edited:

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
@Djones96 @Elektrofone

So, I received my Sheath today. I haven’t had one for a couple of years (though it was my daily driver for a couple of years prior to that) and I’d forgotten that I liked it so much. Such a tight, solid fit, it makes the phone feel like a little brick. A few thoughts in comparison to the Pitaka Pro:

Fit: I’d say they’re equal in precision (very good), but the Sheath is just slightly tighter than the Pitaka.
Weight: The Pitaka is lighter, though not enough to make a noticeable difference unless you’re comparing side-by-side.
Protection: They both claim 6-ish feet, which seems realistic. The Pitaka has slightly more rise above the screen and cameras, approximately .5mm or so, perhaps enough to matter if the phone takes a direct edge hit? It’s hard to say.
Buttons: The Pitaka, with its metal buttons, is the clear winner, though the Sheath buttons aren’t actually bad and are definitely better than I remember from a few years ago. The Pitaka buttons do rattle just a tiny bit, which could be annoying to some, but it’s not an issue for me.
Feel: The Pitaka feels more soft and luxurious, though more slippery. The Sheath feels solid and grippy, more confidence inspiring.
Finish: The Pitaka is a far more luxurious case, with the aramid back that wraps over the edge, the metal camera guard with the TPU bumper to prevent scratches, polished metal buttons, and suede leather interior. The Sheath, in contrast, is a single piece of plastic (TPU?), though obviously well-designed and with great attention to detail.
Fingerprints: The Sheath wins hand down here; like all aramid cases, the Pitaka is a world class fingerprint magnet.

I was lucky enough to receive a copy of the Sheath that seems to be free of any of the defects others have reported. I’ll be keeping this one and swapping out with the Pitaka as my daily driver for a while - we’ll see which one wins out.

View attachment 2303216
View attachment 2303217
View attachment 2303218
I like how in depth you were with the comparison, thank you! I think I’m going to stick with my current lineup of cases! 2 Apple silicone, 2 Sheaths, 2 Synthesis, 1 gripmunk, and the Moft Movas. Maybe one day I’ll purchase a Pitaka case 😁

Reactions: Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I like how in depth you were with the comparison, thank you! I think I’m going to stick with my current lineup of cases! 2 Apple silicone, 2 Sheaths, 2 Synthesis, 1 gripmunk, and the Moft Movas. Maybe one day I’ll purchase a Pitaka case 😁
Nice! I think I’m done, whittled it down to 4 total: Caudabe Sheath, Pitaka Pro, Nomad Rugged, Mous Limitless.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Down to Moft Movas and Nomad Modern Leather. Gonna get trashed in this thread but I'm loving the iphone caseless too. The titanium makes the phone a lot grippier than stainless.

Any case, instead running around in the misty cove Moft as a DD for a full week now. No complaints. Case is not getting visbly dirty or darker with normal use. Regular skin oils, grime from being outdoors comes off with a quick wipe with a damp cloth. Being careful not to drop the phone, but luckily the case itself is grippy enough so I don't think too much about that either.

I picked up one of their magsafe tripod stands and it's a great companion to the case. I'm no longer looking for cases with kickstands -- this is the way.

The buttons are great, they add just enough tension to make the button presses perfectly firm and clicky. And it is an absolute stunner. If I didn't have the Nomad I'd probably buy the same case in a different color.

Man I love this case, 10/10 so far.

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
@Djones96 @Elektrofone

Feel: The Pitaka feels more soft and luxurious, though much more slippery. The Sheath feels solid and grippy, definitely more confidence inspiring.

View attachment 2303216
View attachment 2303217
View attachment 2303218
Great comparison, thanks acbarn. Looks to be a perfect duo, one more practical and grippy for every day, and the other more upscale to alleviate iPhone boredom.

Reactions: Zensō and Djones96

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013

In my immediate circle of friends and acquaintances, there are probably about 10+ Sheaths (I take credit for spreading the word for most of those) and a handful of Synthesis, and no one has voiced any problems whatsoever. Then again, I don't think any these people are on Macrumors except me. Coincidence? Absolutely not. :D

Anyway, those are beautiful photos. What camera did you use?

To me, there's a clear winner if we're just talking looks. I've never understood the obsession with carbon fiber. Doesn't appeal to me at all. The Pitaka branding is a turn off too. Is it printed on or embossed on? Printed logos tend to look cheap, but maybe that's just me.

I continue to switch between the Sheath and the Synthesis every other day. Can't make up my mind.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
What? Heresy. Get out of this thread! :p

As much as I love my cases, I do get tempted to go caseless. But I know I'd do something to regret it. The bare phone is just too slippery.

lol I hear you completely. Around the house, reading in bed, etc - naked is fun. Second I step outside tho it's case on for sure!

Reactions: VaderRulez

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
In my immediate circle of friends and acquaintances, there are probably about 10+ Sheaths (I take credit for spreading the word for most of those) and a handful of Synthesis, and no one has voiced any problems whatsoever. Then again, I don't think any these people are on Macrumors except me. Coincidence? Absolutely not. :D

Anyway, those are beautiful photos. What camera did you use?

To me, there's a clear winner if we're just talking looks. I've never understood the obsession with carbon fiber. Doesn't appeal to me at all. The Pitaka branding is a turn off too. Is it printed on or embossed on? Printed logos tend to look cheap, but maybe that's just me.

I continue to switch between the Sheath and the Synthesis every other day. Can't make up my mind.
The camera is a Fuji X-T2 with the 16 f/1.4 lens.

The Pitaka logo is actually embedded into the epoxy, so neither printed or embossed on the surface.

Thanks!

Reactions: swerve147

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I’m all about the Synthesis this year, it’s my favorite case hands down.

Have it on the phone for a week and no desire to switch. I just love the overall feel, fit, grippy sides, strong magnets, even the little camera indentation.

Been a fan of the Sheath for years, but this is my first time trying the Synthesis and it’s just so good.

Of the cases I’ve tried this year, my rankings would be:

1. Synthesis
2. Sheath
3. Gripmunk
4. Apple Silicone
5. Benks ArmorPro

Reactions: Zensō

itsmehuey

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2019
Down to Moft Movas and Nomad Modern Leather. Gonna get trashed in this thread but I'm loving the iphone caseless too. The titanium makes the phone a lot grippier than stainless.

Any case, instead running around in the misty cove Moft as a DD for a full week now. No complaints. Case is not getting visbly dirty or darker with normal use. Regular skin oils, grime from being outdoors comes off with a quick wipe with a damp cloth. Being careful not to drop the phone, but luckily the case itself is grippy enough so I don't think too much about that either.

I picked up one of their magsafe tripod stands and it's a great companion to the case. I'm no longer looking for cases with kickstands -- this is the way.

The buttons are great, they add just enough tension to make the button presses perfectly firm and clicky. And it is an absolute stunner. If I didn't have the Nomad I'd probably buy the same case in a different color.

Man I love this case, 10/10 so far.
I also love the tripod.

And yes moft snap Movas and nomad rugged case are my two favourites!

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
sheath is too heavy for what they are, they give us a lighter phone but then these cases just add it back on lol
lol this couldn’t be further from the truth. Yes, sheath is somewhat hefty, but not noticeably heavier that it feels like it adds the weight that was reduced, back onto the phone 🙄 if you feel that way, I’d suggest a gym membership.

Last edited:

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
lol this couldn’t be further from the truth. Yes, sheath is somewhat hefty, but not noticeably heavier that it feels like it adds the weight that was reduced, back onto the phone 🙄 if you feel that way, I’d suggest a gym membership.
But yet people wanted a lighter phone, it’s 15 grams heavier than the apple case, or 14 pro sheath is actually 13 grams heavier than Apple 15 pro max FW, have both here, makes a diff in the pocket. The gym analogy is old hat lol, maybe you use a man bag :)
You are very defensive about the sheath, it’s just a phone case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.