Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
I asked this in the screen protector thread earlier today...they are so bad I had to take mine off. Impossible to take off. Someone showed me that you need to warm it up a little with a blow dryer for like 2 mins if that, and then they pop off rather easy.
The ones I had came with this little pry bar. Once removed they will leave sticky residue around your lenses.
No more lens protectors for me.

tool01.jpg
tool02.jpg

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
My Pitaka magEZ is pretty easy to get off my 15 PM (easier than the apple finewovan was) and the bottom isn’t sharp at all so there must be variations in the manufacturing
To be fair I’ve not tried mine or even taken it out of the box. It may well be alright. I might take it out and at least check it out and possibly try it. I can still return it. In all honesty I’ve not really been a fan of non clear cases but I thought I’d try one that was minimalistic and didn’t add too much bulk and weight.

The MagEZ Pro looks nice but it’s only available in black right now and I don’t want a black case. I’ve been using the ESR clear case with the camera ring stand and I just got the Caudabe Lucid Clear in Celestial Blue with the Dbrand Ghost on preorder so I might stick with those. 🤔

MrGrim999

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
So far I’ve tried these cases for my PM:

Spigen Ultra Hybrid
Casetify Impact
Mous Limitless 5 speckled

The Spigen was good to protect against scratches but returned for more premium protection. The CASETiFY Impact (inside out finish) is built like a tank, the sides have a sticky grippy feel to it which I like, buttons are clicky and just the right responsiveness, and the back is pretty smooth which I’ve gotten used to (I’ve always used OtterBox commuter/defender series in the past which has rubber outer shell and holds its ground on smooth surfaces).

I just received the Mous yesterday. On the plus side it has a nice tight fit, the raised lip on top and bottom protect the screen while facing down, and the back has a nice feel to it similar to a rubbery mouse pad. When you swipe upward it’s taking some getting used to hitting that raised lip but not a deal breaker. However, there’s one thing that’s kind of annoying and wondered if anyone else experienced the same thing …the buttons are nice and clicky but they are much more sensitive than the CASETiFY and Spigen. It’s only been a day so far but I’ve found myself accidentally hitting most of the buttons. I’ll see how it goes for the remainder of amazons return period.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m hoping this was a factory defect bc I really do like the case but if this is normal it may be too annoying…

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
So far I’ve tried these cases for my PM:

Spigen Ultra Hybrid
Casetify Impact
Mous Limitless 5 speckled

The Spigen was good to protect against scratches but returned for more premium protection. The CASETiFY Impact (inside out finish) is built like a tank, the sides have a sticky grippy feel to it which I like, buttons are clicky and just the right responsiveness, and the back is pretty smooth which I’ve gotten used to (I’ve always used OtterBox commuter/defender series in the past which has rubber outer shell and holds its ground on smooth surfaces).

I just received the Mous yesterday. On the plus side it has a nice tight fit, the raised lip on top and bottom protect the screen while facing down, and the back has a nice feel to it similar to a rubbery mouse pad. When you swipe upward it’s taking some getting used to hitting that raised lip but not a deal breaker. However, there’s one thing that’s kind of annoying and wondered if anyone else experienced the same thing …the buttons are nice and clicky but they are much more sensitive than the CASETiFY and Spigen. It’s only been a day so far but I’ve found myself accidentally hitting most of the buttons. I’ll see how it goes for the remainder of amazons return period.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m hoping this was a factory defect bc I really do like the case but if this is normal it may be too annoying…
I don’t think it’s a defect - in my experience, floating buttons are more sensitive than buttons that are molded into the case, regardless of the brand (Pitaka buttons are even more sensitive than Mous). I’d give it a week, I suspect you’ll adapt to the more sensitive buttons and it will cease to be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.C

Mudweiser

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
PA
Went with the Guava silicone case for my Natural Titanium 15 PM. I also have a clear apple case coming in hopefully Monday.

Starting the case cult off right

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I’m looking for a specific case recommendation.

Here’s what I’m looking for:
1. Grippy outside material (no hard shell polycarbonate)
2. No microfiber on the inside
3. MagSafe
4. Generally thin, I am using a caseology color pop right now, it feels great in the hand.
5. Compatible with the TORRAS screen protector. This is why I’m in the market for another case, the caseology one makes the protector lift.

Any recommendations?

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Went with the Guava silicone case for my Natural Titanium 15 PM. I also have a clear apple case coming in hopefully Monday.

Starting the case cult off right

Just a word of warning (not to put you off!), I had a black 14PM and had the Apple clear case. It wrecked the finish around the band because it was so tight. Apple did replace the phone under AC for me (really helpful advisor on the phone), but he said to me that that case isn’t designed to be taken on and off frequently. My phone wasn’t dirty, nor my pockets-it’s because the case clips on so tightly. I ditched it in the end and went with leather so it had a soft lining, not one scratch on the phone when I traded it in.

Might not be as bad for you as it’s a natural ti, but as mine was painted it ruined it-just wanted to give you the heads up if you’re going to be swapping cases around!

Attachments

• IMG_8562.jpeg
    IMG_8562.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_8561.jpeg
    IMG_8561.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_8560.jpeg
    IMG_8560.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8559.jpeg
    IMG_8559.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 108

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
So, not to bang on about the AliEx knock-off silicone case, I noticed something yesterday. Someone mentioned a seam around the edge of the AliEx case, and said they weren’t sure whether the genuine silicone case had the same seam. I can’t comment on the current 15 silicone Apple cases, but I noticed that you can just about make out a seam in exactly the same place on the genuine silicone case I had on my 12Pro.

So, it would seem that currently, the only noticeable difference between the Ali and Apple cases (from what I can tell) is the MagSafe animation. Time will tell obv. over the quality of the knock off, but I remember how well the Apple case fared over time-interested to see if this does the same.

IMG_7859.jpeg

Reactions: noiceT

gplewis

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2023
Can you see them here?

498137655a15a321864e4eb5387bc7a8.png

03ce46663e33325c84eafd2d3e948704.png
Yeah they’re still on there. You need to get your thumb nail flush with the back of the phone and lift up the side of lenses and you can lever them off. With mine i struggled to start with as I thought they were only stuck on the top rather than fully around the lenses.

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Mannnnn. I’m torn. I have my Sheath and have no issues (except I want to change the color). Still waiting on the Phone Rebel Gen 5 to be available (I have a 14PM). And I have a Ghost preorder but those magnets give me pause. I need to try them for myself.

Those with the Sheath and Gen 5 how do those compare? Does the Gen5 feel bulky by comparison?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Clear back will scratch like butter, MagSafe ring stuck on the outside of the case and that saggy bottom.
Glad I did not order one of these.
I can’t speak for the Ghost case but not all clear cases scratch on the back. Certainly in my experience the ones I’ve used don’t especially the ESR cases with the hard back. They do tend to yellow over time around the edges as they are made from TPU I believe. Dbrand claim the Ghost case will never yellow but the other issues outlined like the loose bottom lip and weak magnets are not an acceptable in my opinion.

The ESR case I’m currently using is a very good fit and has very strong magnets all be it it’s a bit on the thick side. I have got the Caudabe Lucid Clear which they also claim does not yellow but I’ve not got around to trying it. Hopefully it fits well and has good magnets as well as being thinner.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Clear back will scratch like butter, MagSafe ring stuck on the outside of the case and that saggy bottom.
Glad I did not order one of these.

The magnet from Tee’s video looked weak. If you watch didn’t look like it held his wallet that good.

Clear back scratching? That’s the nature of the beast.

Saggy bottom? Yea that Ghost bottom was saggy AS.

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
Just receive my knock off leather case and, I have to say that I don’t know if I prefer the sheath case (I’m a sheath guy since the 6s plus) and the case.
The know off is softer than the sheath and I like it. But the sheath’s slimmer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.