Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
So far I’ve tried these cases for my PM:

Spigen Ultra Hybrid
Casetify Impact
Mous Limitless 5 speckled

The Spigen was good to protect against scratches but returned for more premium protection. The CASETiFY Impact (inside out finish) is built like a tank, the sides have a sticky grippy feel to it which I like, buttons are clicky and just the right responsiveness, and the back is pretty smooth which I’ve gotten used to (I’ve always used OtterBox commuter/defender series in the past which has rubber outer shell and holds its ground on smooth surfaces).

I just received the Mous yesterday. On the plus side it has a nice tight fit, the raised lip on top and bottom protect the screen while facing down, and the back has a nice feel to it similar to a rubbery mouse pad. When you swipe upward it’s taking some getting used to hitting that raised lip but not a deal breaker. However, there’s one thing that’s kind of annoying and wondered if anyone else experienced the same thing …the buttons are nice and clicky but they are much more sensitive than the CASETiFY and Spigen. It’s only been a day so far but I’ve found myself accidentally hitting most of the buttons. I’ll see how it goes for the remainder of amazons return period.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m hoping this was a factory defect bc I really do like the case but if this is normal it may be too annoying…
I retuned my mous because of the buttons. I also kept accidentally engaging them. My power button had a lot of wiggle room and felt like it never stayed in place.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I cancelled my Ghost preorder a couple weeks ago. Got caught up in the hype, I realized that I would be way too annoyed by the inevitable scratches that would show up (as on any clear hard case).
There seems to be some misconception that all clear hard cases suffer from this. As I’ve mentioned before this is not the case with all clear hard cases. Certainly not the ones I’ve used. I had an ESR clear hard case on my 14 Pro Max and over a year there were no scratches on it. I’ve got a similar one from ESR since launch on my 15 Pro Max and again no scratches.

Reactions: justinf77

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Here’s a video that shows the strength of the magnet. Have to go to :48 in video

I’ve seen that before but it was a very brief demonstration and not something that really shows the overall strength of the magnets. In the @TechnicallyTee video the demonstration is a lot longer repeated attempts to attach MagSafe devices. I’m still not convinced about it. That along with the loose bottom lip has given me second thoughts. I’ll wait until people here have it and comment on it before making a decision as to whether to get it or not.

Reactions: justinf77

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I’ve seen that before but it was a very brief demonstration and not something that really shows the overall strength of the magnets. In the @TechnicallyTee video the demonstration is a lot longer repeated attempts to attach MagSafe devices. I’m still not convinced about it. That along with the loose bottom lip has given me second thoughts. I’ll wait until people here have it and comment on it before making a decision as to whether to get it or not.

Yea but in the video he was shaking the phone.

infinilo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2022
I’m let down by the ghost, that excessorize me sale got me lol. Love how dbrand always thinks about lay on the table design To eliminate phone wobble. Worried about the magnet strength and my car mount tho. Case should be here this week.

masterxchief

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
California
The dBrand Ghost video will be a YouTube premiere so I can chat with everyone while the video is playing. It will be scheduled shortly.
Would you mind testing how well the phone holds on a MagSafe car mount or stand?

I do wonder if it’s the material reducing the strength as you said. I have the apple clear case and it seems to have similar strength. I feel like it’s a lack of friction from the material but I’ve never used the apple clear case before this to compare.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
There seems to be some misconception that all clear hard cases suffer from this. As I’ve mentioned before this is not the case with all clear hard cases. Certainly not the ones I’ve used. I had an ESR clear hard case on my 14 Pro Max and over a year there were no scratches on it. I’ve got a similar one from ESR since launch on my 15 Pro Max and again no scratches.

Ah OK fair enough, I was going by what dbrand said in their Reddit sub about the Ghost case being susceptible to scratches like “any other clear hard case”. Good to know that some others don’t have this issue.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
Just ordered the Caudabe Synthesis in gray for my Natural Titanium 15 Pro Max after hearing everyone rave about it here (be sure to look for discount codes; I got 20% off!). Do ya'll think the gray or black looks better with the Natural Titanium? I have Apple's Silicone Case in Clay which I think looks amazing but I'm wondering if the black Synthesis might be a cleaner look as opposed to the gray...

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Not a clue which case to go for now.

The intention when I ordered my phone was to get the caudabe synthesis and dbrand ghost and be done.

I’ve had an absolute mare with caudabe and after seeing Tee’s video am not sure about the ghost.

anggurmerah212

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2022
IMG_1870.jpeg
Here’s a pic of my natural titanium iphone with the brown ryan london case on.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
Not a clue which case to go for now.

The intention when I ordered my phone was to get the caudabe synthesis and dbrand ghost and be done.

I’ve had an absolute mare with caudabe and after seeing Tee’s video am not sure about the ghost.
What happened with the Caudabe Synthesis?

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
…the backplate of the case is a fingerprint/oils/smudges nightmare.
I don’t find that to be the case at all. I think my fingers mostly rest on the raised TPU frame so they rarely touch the back plate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe123Joe

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
I had both the orange and the black, ended up returning the orange. They’re identical, but the orange ended up being a little too flashy for me. It’s all personal preference…
Is the black rugged a fingerprint magnet?

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
What happened with the Caudabe Synthesis?
Ordered a blue synthesis. Takes two weeks to arrive in the UK (obviously that’s nothing to do with caudabe), magnets fall off the day it arrives. Contact them, they say they’ll send a replacement. Two weeks later I reach out again as no tracking email. They hadn’t sent it. They send it the next day. It arrives two weeks later, the wrong colour.

Waiting to hear back from them again to see what happens now.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: swerve147 and AE14
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.