Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

chrisf60647

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I’m looking for a specific case recommendation.

Here’s what I’m looking for:
1. Grippy outside material (no hard shell polycarbonate)
2. No microfiber on the inside
3. MagSafe
4. Generally thin, I am using a caseology color pop right now, it feels great in the hand.
5. Compatible with the TORRAS screen protector. This is why I’m in the market for another case, the caseology one makes the protector lift.

Any recommendations?
I went with this as i wanted a basic case and most of your reqs. The only thing that you have on here that is not covered on this case is the hard shell. I like basic, no logo, cases.

Reactions: Ramrod82

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
OK, interested in some opinions here. I have a blue titanium 15 promax, going to order both a synthesis and a chief, but not sure of the color to match the phone. I’m thinking Gray but I’m curious if anyone has any experience with other colors.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Can you see them here?

498137655a15a321864e4eb5387bc7a8.png

03ce46663e33325c84eafd2d3e948704.png

Yep they are still on. You can see the ugly black ring and plastic looking sides. Take a blow dryer on medium heat, and do for like 2 mins, they will pop right off

Cerneka

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
I am going to still keep my Ghost preorder and judge for myself. I rather have the case in hand since I am waiting so long for it and test in real life for a week. Then decide if I return is needed.

I thought dbrand only accepts returns if the case is unused?

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
I am going to still keep my Ghost preorder and judge for myself. I rather have the case in hand since I am waiting so long for it and test in real life for a week. Then decide if I return is needed.
Same here. Still hyped to get mine. Alleged flaws aside (albeit minor imo based on my usage), it’s a badass looking case.

Check this out:

Cancellation / Returns​

Except for any statutory rights of cancellation that you may have under applicable provincial consumer protection laws, once you place your order you cannot cancel it. Given the customized nature of dbrand's products, products purchased cannot be returned or exchanged without express authorization from a dbrand representative. Refunds can be provided for products that are damaged before delivery to you. Refunds can also be provided for products bearing a custom logo or other artwork that does not match the logo or other artwork requested by you. If you receive your order and any products appear to be damaged or do not bear the custom logo or other artwork requested by you, please contact us promptly at the contact details set out below. Returns for unopened, unused merchandise that does not bear any logo or other artwork may be eligible for a refund minus the shipping amount, provided that the merchandise arrived in a damaged condition.

Reactions: Mr.C

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

That makes sense. But I got the feeling that Tee was very disappointed in floppy bottom.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Same here. Still hyped to get mine. Alleged flaws aside (albeit minor imo based on my usage), it’s a badass looking case.

Check this out:

Cancellation / Returns​

Except for any statutory rights of cancellation that you may have under applicable provincial consumer protection laws, once you place your order you cannot cancel it. Given the customized nature of dbrand's products, products purchased cannot be returned or exchanged without express authorization from a dbrand representative. Refunds can be provided for products that are damaged before delivery to you. Refunds can also be provided for products bearing a custom logo or other artwork that does not match the logo or other artwork requested by you. If you receive your order and any products appear to be damaged or do not bear the custom logo or other artwork requested by you, please contact us promptly at the contact details set out below. Returns for unopened, unused merchandise that does not bear any logo or other artwork may be eligible for a refund minus the shipping amount, provided that the merchandise arrived in a damaged condition.
That’s not a particularly consumer-friendly return policy. It appears returns are only accepted for defective or damaged merchandise.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Just a word of warning (not to put you off!), I had a black 14PM and had the Apple clear case. It wrecked the finish around the band because it was so tight. Apple did replace the phone under AC for me (really helpful advisor on the phone), but he said to me that that case isn’t designed to be taken on and off frequently. My phone wasn’t dirty, nor my pockets-it’s because the case clips on so tightly. I ditched it in the end and went with leather so it had a soft lining, not one scratch on the phone when I traded it in.

Might not be as bad for you as it’s a natural ti, but as mine was painted it ruined it-just wanted to give you the heads up if you’re going to be swapping cases around!
Biggest reason I’ve never been a fan of the hard clear cases.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
So, not to bang on about the AliEx knock-off silicone case, I noticed something yesterday. Someone mentioned a seam around the edge of the AliEx case, and said they weren’t sure whether the genuine silicone case had the same seam. I can’t comment on the current 15 silicone Apple cases, but I noticed that you can just about make out a seam in exactly the same place on the genuine silicone case I had on my 12Pro.

So, it would seem that currently, the only noticeable difference between the Ali and Apple cases (from what I can tell) is the MagSafe animation. Time will tell obv. over the quality of the knock off, but I remember how well the Apple case fared over time-interested to see if this does the same.
I tried those AliExpress silicone cases and I wasn’t as impressed. The material is off (feels very sticky), the MagSafe charging speed varied significantly between the two, thickness was also inconsistent and the fit around the screen was uneven. I have more peace of mind with the original Apple silicone but for the price of those AE ones they could be a hit for some folks.
Just be mindful that it’s next to impossible to return if there’s an issue.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I just don’t want to deal with the hassle of returning it. With Amazon it’s easy but when you order directly like this it’s usually not straightforward to do a return nor that smooth in getting a refund. I was in two minds anyway about the case as I have a Blue Titanium phone and I’m not sure how all those black accents and MagSafe rings will look with it. Those magnets definitely look weak maybe because they had to use a different method and put them on the outside and that bottom lip doesn’t look great. 🤔

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I cancelled my Ghost preorder a couple weeks ago. Got caught up in the hype, I realized that I would be way too annoyed by the inevitable scratches that would show up (as on any clear hard case).

Reactions: Hooterville

AnJarBo

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2014
Mannnnn. I’m torn. I have my Sheath and have no issues (except I want to change the color). Still waiting on the Phone Rebel Gen 5 to be available (I have a 14PM). And I have a Ghost preorder but those magnets give me pause. I need to try them for myself.

Those with the Sheath and Gen 5 how do those compare? Does the Gen5 feel bulky by comparison?
Gen5 is certainly bulkier than the Sheath.

• Sad
Reactions: Jaggrey

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
Think I'm going to put my aluminum camera protector/frame deal on the next time I change cases.
These 2 for $9.99 blow the Ringke ones away. They have a perfect fit and cover that shiny edge around the cameras on the black titianum up nicely.

cp01.jpg

Reactions: VaderRulez

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
OK, interested in some opinions here. I have a blue titanium 15 promax, going to order both a synthesis and a chief, but not sure of the color to match the phone. I’m thinking Gray but I’m curious if anyone has any experience with other colors.

If you have the blue phone I would go with the blue.

Reactions: AE14

Mudweiser

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
PA
Just a word of warning (not to put you off!), I had a black 14PM and had the Apple clear case. It wrecked the finish around the band because it was so tight. Apple did replace the phone under AC for me (really helpful advisor on the phone), but he said to me that that case isn’t designed to be taken on and off frequently. My phone wasn’t dirty, nor my pockets-it’s because the case clips on so tightly. I ditched it in the end and went with leather so it had a soft lining, not one scratch on the phone when I traded it in.

Might not be as bad for you as it’s a natural ti, but as mine was painted it ruined it-just wanted to give you the heads up if you’re going to be swapping cases around!

Whoaaa! Thank you for the heads up! I think I’ll pass then lol.

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
So far I’ve tried these cases for my PM:

Spigen Ultra Hybrid
Casetify Impact
Mous Limitless 5 speckled

The Spigen was good to protect against scratches but returned for more premium protection. The CASETiFY Impact (inside out finish) is built like a tank, the sides have a sticky grippy feel to it which I like, buttons are clicky and just the right responsiveness, and the back is pretty smooth which I’ve gotten used to (I’ve always used OtterBox commuter/defender series in the past which has rubber outer shell and holds its ground on smooth surfaces).

I just received the Mous yesterday. On the plus side it has a nice tight fit, the raised lip on top and bottom protect the screen while facing down, and the back has a nice feel to it similar to a rubbery mouse pad. When you swipe upward it’s taking some getting used to hitting that raised lip but not a deal breaker. However, there’s one thing that’s kind of annoying and wondered if anyone else experienced the same thing …the buttons are nice and clicky but they are much more sensitive than the CASETiFY and Spigen. It’s only been a day so far but I’ve found myself accidentally hitting most of the buttons. I’ll see how it goes for the remainder of amazons return period.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m hoping this was a factory defect bc I really do like the case but if this is normal it may be too annoying…

I have had the Mous limitless 5 on for a few days now (Also in the speckled version). I think the floating buttons are just in general easier to press but did see one or two posts on reddit about one of the buttons feeling hypersensitive. I found that I was launching siri pretty frequently the first day, but have since had no issues. It could be how tightly the case fits, especially around the sides in conjunction with the button design, or it might be the way the buttons and case "break in."

I will say though it may be my favorite case I have tried so far. The bowed design and relatively thin backplate leads to a nice feel in hand. Your description of the speckled fabric is pretty accurate, and for me has a really nice combination of grip and ease of getting in and out of pockets. I do not use a magsafe mount or anything, but the magnets have been plenty strong to keep an apple wallet secure. At least on par if not better than the apple silicone I tried.

Is it worth $70? Tougher question to answer. I think you would have a hard time explaining to someone why it costs twice as much as something like the Gripzilla (second favorite case). For me the unique look, grip, protection maintaining a slim profile, and magsafe are the right combination.

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Biggest reason I’ve never been a fan of the hard clear cases.
I’ll never go back to one after that experience, I was go smacked at how bad it was. I was removing at the end of each day to use the phone naked at home, never noticed the damage it was causing.
I tried those AliExpress silicone cases and I wasn’t as impressed. The material is off (feels very sticky), the MagSafe charging speed varied significantly between the two, thickness was also inconsistent and the fit around the screen was uneven. I have more peace of mind with the original Apple silicone but for the price of those AE ones they could be a hit for some folks.
Just be mindful that it’s next to impossible to return if there’s an issue.
It’s a hard one for me. I usually buy genuine-I have a decent collection of watch bands, and all are genuine Apple. I think what swayed me this time was the disappointment of my original Apple 12P silicone case. For the price, I found it lacking in terms of quality.

I’ve not had aftermarket silicone before, and after a few of the reviews here, I was happy to take a punt and be prepared to ‘write-off’ if they indeed were poor. Sounds harsh, but I had low expectations, but have been pleasantly surprised.

I use my Decoded leather most of the time anyway, just needed something cheap but reasonable to use on the phone if I was doing something a bit more hands on like DIY, painting etc etc.

I have an Apple Store not far from me, next time I’m that way I’ll see how they compare…

Reactions: VSMacOne

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Whoaaa! Thank you for the heads up! I think I’ll pass then lol.
My wife has a genuine Apple clear case on her Product Red iPhone 12. Her phone hasn’t been damaged at all, nor has the case yellowed in the 18 months she’s had it on. Once in a while, we’ll take it off to give the phone a clean round the edges/camera and speaker cut-outs etc (maybe 2 or 3 times this year?). That kind of frequency is fine, but daily, it’s a def. no.

I wouldn’t buy again as I like to go case-less at home, so daily removal (I assume) would end up doing the same damage.

Last edited:

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
I’m almost a week in using the DECODED black leather, it’s been off a couple of times to use my (knock off) silicone, but so far, so good.

It remains pretty clean regardless of what I seem to be doing. I’ve had my Apple MagWallet on a couple of times and it hasn’t moved about as much as I’d thought, although you can tell it’s not quite as secure as an Apple case combo would be (I’d say it’s about 85%).

I have given it a small bit of leather conditioner just because I could, but so far, feels nice to hold, doesn’t hurt my finger, slides in and out of the pocket easily: and (I haven’t weighed it), it doesn’t feel heavier than my 14PM with the Apple leather case on-I still feel like I have my lighter 15PM.

So far, a thumbs up from me.

::Edit:: And to add, a (good!) few pages ago, there was some light discussion about the top right corner pushing off/coming away from the phone-I’ve not experienced that in any way in the time I’ve been using it.
How are you liking the decoded case?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
After watching @TechnicallyTee video I’ve decided to cancel my preorder for the Dbrand Ghost case. Both that bottom lip and the weak magnet is an issue for me. If and when they refine those aspects of the case I may reconsider.

Here’s a video that shows the strength of the magnet. Have to go to :48 in video

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.