Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
Does anyone have both the sheath and the synthesis? Which is lighter and which has the smaller dimensions? I thought the sheath was supposed to be the lighter case but seems now they’ve added the micro fibre inner that maybe that no longer the case?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
So I got my Caudabe Celestial Blue Lucid Clear and had high hopes for it. I like the fact the MagSafe ring is blue which goes better with the Titanium Blue phone. I also like the fact that there are cut outs for all the buttons rather than built in molded buttons.

What I don’t like is that it’s an extremely tight fit and it’s very hard to get the phone out. I struggled to get it out and I was afraid the screen protector would lift up. Also the sides are made of polycarbonate which means they are unlikely to yellow but are also very smooth and slippery like a bar of soap so there is no grip. I’m afraid the phone is going to slip out of my hand.

The tight fit and the slipperiness with no grip means it’s a no for me. I’m not sure if I can send it back for a refund but I will if I can. In contrast my ESR clear case is easy to take off and has a really good grip. This may well be because it has TPU sides. It may yellow on the sides because of this but if that happens I’ll just replace it.

As for my Dbrand Ghost preorder I requested a cancellation before it would ship but they shipped it anyway. I guess I’ll see when it arrives whether I like it or not but if it has the same issues as the Caudabe I won’t be using it.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Does anyone have both the sheath and the synthesis? Which is lighter and which has the smaller dimensions? I thought the sheath was supposed to be the lighter case but seems now they’ve added the micro fibre inner that maybe that no longer the case?
The Sheath is now a couple of grams heavier than the Synthesis.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
Yup agree not touching my phone ..but someone I'm sure will like it ..hehe
just curious what dont you like about it? still protects your phone and closest way to somewhat feel caseless and still have good protection

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
just curious what dont you like about it? still protects your phone and closest way to somewhat feel caseless and still have good protection
I would either go with a bumper all the way around to make it look more uniform or go caseless ... Once that side hits and you start getting some scratches on the side of the frame of the phone that would drive me nuts.. I see this case I think of one of those car holders where the top and bottom squeeze to hold it in place while you drive around...

Reactions: Mr.C

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
The Sheath is heavier than the Synthesis, but it’s not a noticeable difference.

Brandy-Boi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2020
Has anyone gotten the Mous 5.0 Atlantic Blue for the 15 Pro Max? Its been sold out on both Amazon and the Mous website, and hopefully its availible on Amazon because its roughly $30 cheaper vs the Mous website being $99. Been trying to find a nice blue case thats good quality/protective and I'm familiar with Mous and its a nice shade of blue.

What are some other brands of high quality cases that have great color options?

Reactions: jr866gooner

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
I stopped at the 3rd sentence saying a product is never truly in its final form. WTF. However, we are going to sell it to you for $50 plus tax and shipping.
I have no stake in dbrand, nor do own any of their cases or skins, but I think the response was quite thorough and well articulated. Everything in engineering is a compromise, and I think the reasoning behind the integrity of the bottom material and magnets is plausible.

Worth is much harder to determine. Very few cases are made of anything precious or particularly expensive, but do you put any stock in the company that made it, any r&d, or in their support should you have an issue? There are some intangibles when it comes to comparing just on dollar vs dollar. The vast majority of people buy a case at whatever price(say $5-50) and never think about it again.

Reactions: Jaggrey

Iamdld

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2023
Has anyone gotten the Mous 5.0 Atlantic Blue for the 15 Pro Max? Its been sold out on both Amazon and the Mous website, and hopefully its availible on Amazon because its roughly $30 cheaper vs the Mous website being $99. Been trying to find a nice blue case thats good quality/protective and I'm familiar with Mous and its a nice shade of blue.

What are some other brands of high quality cases that have great color options?

I wanted to try it but the price increase turned me off. It was $65 on the Mous website then jumped to $99. I've just been using the D brand grip with a skin on it for color.

Tried to Gripmunk but the color was a little too bright. Tried the Otterbox Symmetry and the color was too muted, more like a blueish gray. The Speck Presidio grip is a nice blue but for me was a fingerprint magnet. Celestial Blue Caudabe Sheath is a great case but the dark blue doesn't pop. I'll likely end up selling it.

The Rhinoshield solid suit comes in a nice looking blue but reviews say it's slippery. The search continues. Maybe next up is a UAG but I had a UAG for my 14 pro max and it scratched easily.

Reactions: SweetLou122

Gridlink

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2023
I finally got the grey OtterBox Lumen for my natural titanium 15P and it's a gorgeous combo. It's a far far nicer case than the Ringke Fusion Magnetic I got a couple of weeks ago. Granted the Lumen costs more than double the Ringke but it definitely feels it.

Last edited:

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I like how in depth you were with the comparison, thank you! I think I’m going to stick with my current lineup of cases! 2 Apple silicone, 2 Sheaths, 2 Synthesis, 1 gripmunk, and the Moft Movas. Maybe one day I’ll purchase a Pitaka case 😁
Nice....thank you.

Reactions: Djones96

joajax

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2019
Ghost case - I just received my Ghost case today and if I’m not mistaken, when I ordered I thought it said it comes with 2 screen protectors? Now
either I didn’t get them or they are really camouflaged and I just can’t see them? Which is it? Just got my phone today and now I may need to order some screen protectors off Amazon before I can use 😡

Reactions: AE14

roflc0pter

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2010
Ghost case - I just received my Ghost case today and if I’m not mistaken, when I ordered I thought it said it comes with 2 screen protectors? Now
either I didn’t get them or they are really camouflaged and I just can’t see them? Which is it? Just got my phone today and now I may need to order some screen protectors off Amazon before I can use 😡
Screen protectors were never free. Just an option to add on the same product page for more money. Let us know what you think of the case though.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
I would either go with a bumper all the way around to make it look more uniform or go caseless ... Once that side hits and you start getting some scratches on the side of the frame of the phone that would drive me nuts.. I see this case I think of one of those car holders where the top and bottom squeeze to hold it in place while you drive around...
i usually order the flex right when it goes up but this year i find myself going caseless, i have the gen 5 finewoven and 2 pitaka cases i don't really use

Reactions: Bkdodger

joajax

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2019
Screen protectors were never free. Just an option to add on the same product page for more money. Let us know what you think of the case though.
Ah I see now. Kinda deceiving. Seems like they’re included. Now off to Amazon…

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
i usually order the flex right when it goes up but this year i find myself going caseless, i have the gen 5 finewoven and 2 pitaka cases i don't really use
It sounds like you're a caseless type ...if I had a few sides exposed I would go all in caseless but I can see help with grips ..

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
So.. dbrand ghost case.

Heavily anticipated as the design is sick. In hand, it feels great, excellent grip and it really does look awesome.. for now. Problem is it came with scuffs out of the box and it scratches and scuffs just from wiping with a microfibre cloth. The black ring scratches from the MagSafe charger. Magnet is about half the strength of the $10-20 Meifigno cases I’ve been using as a stop gap. For example, it moves around on my Anker MagSafe grip pretty easily when holding it and it doesn’t snap on to the belkin 3-in-1, you have to find just the right spot. Not a dealbreaker but definitely noticeably weaker than others. Buttons are nice.

It’s nice, but not $50 USD nice. Impeccable marketing for a slightly above average case. Overall I think durability will be an issue but the frame is unique and easy to hold.

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpeg
    IMG_0473.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.