Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

InsulinJunkie72

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2022
WI, USA
Nice, how are the cutouts? Correct or symmetrical ?
Crappy iPad photo I took yesterday:
Zagg_LSG2.JPG

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
Caudabe Sheath vs Synthesis! I’ve only had these for a couple hours so this is just my initial thoughts on the cases.

The first case I tried on was the Sheath: the texture is an interesting feeling.. not super grippy, but certainly grippier than my smooth TPU case and Elago silicone. It’s plastic, but kinda like it’s mixed with a tiny bit of rubber. I love the minimalistic look of it, black with the slim line across the top. I don’t normally like branding on cases, but their logo on the bottom center is minimal enough it doesn’t bother me. I appreciate the small detail of removing the texture at the bottom side of the case. The microfiber lining on the interior is nice. The fit is tight and solid, really feels nice to hold. Snug fit, but easy enough to take off.

Next up, the Synthesis: this case is a harder plastic, more firm all around. The texture on the back is a little smoother than the Sheath. The edges of the case have a dotted pattern that adds extra grip. Prior to purchasing, I was worried the dotted grip might dig into my palm when holding one handed; it’s actually not a problem. The dotted pattern stops well before the corner, so that if the corner is dug into my palm it’s not bothered by the grip. The bottom of this case is not smooth like the Sheath, but with the grippy edges, I don’t find myself using my pinky prop. Even if I do use my pinky, the slight texture doesn’t bother me. There’s no microfiber lining interior, which would’ve been nice but, this Synthesis seems just a hair thinner than the Sheath, which may be due to that lining. This case is even more tightly fit than the Sheath, due to its harder plastic. I do have difficulty taking it off; it actually hurts my thumb a little prying the camera corner first, working down to the bottom right corner.

Buttons feel the same on both cases: power, volume up, volume down all feel fine to me, with an audible click. The action button however, feels a bit mushy with no audible click. Still, it works just fine.

In the next couple days I’ll use these two cases alternately to really form my decision on which is my favorite. Initially, Synthesis is staying on for the rest of the night.. but maybe that’s because my poor thumb is too tired to work it off ;)

Pictured is both cases on Natural Titanium iPhone 15 Pro.
I have that exact combo! Black Sheath (thanks to @acbarn) and gray Synthesis. I prefer the Synthesis just for its tighter fit but I like the look of the Sheath better.

Reactions: Zensō

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Have contacted dbrand again and asked to return the ghost for a refund. I did initially ask for a replacement but seeing the forum here and their subreddit I’ve no confidence in their qc at all. And I’m not spending £50 for a case to look like it’s been dragged a few miles behind a car out of the box.

Just got mine today and it also has a scuff on the inside.

Received my Ghost case today and along the right side (including the top right corner) after putting the case on my phone I noticed a scuff on the inside. Also, near the ? mark I noticed a scuff there too, this was present before I put the case on my phone. I've requested a refund and I'm now awaiting instructions from Dbrand support on how to return this. We'll see how this goes, I guess the case will go back into the Dbrand packaging until I can send it back. I would've cancelled this order but mine shipped before I could...

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
I don’t think it’s an indent.. but maybe a coloration. I didn’t notice any ring until after I tried my PopWallet on it. Then there was a very visable ring, which I wiped most of off. I thought maybe it was that my PopWallet magnet was dirty, and the texture of the Sheath holds it in. The darker color probably doesn’t help either.
They've ruined it, been usng the black 14 pro sheath with magsafe only charging for 8 months, even in car for 6 hours straight, apple charger in home/ office, no mark or ring at all.

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
Yeah, after getting the runaround from Caudabe and Otterbox this year, I’m a bit gun shy to buy from any supplier other than Amazon. To be fair, I did have a good return/exchange experience with Nomad and UAG.
Yep I won't buy from anywhere that's not returnable no questions asked, so amazon or apple it is here, and never again from OS. Australia is too far lol.

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
I have that exact combo! Black Sheath (thanks to @acbarn) and gray Synthesis. I prefer the Synthesis just for its tighter fit but I like the look of the Sheath better.
I also prefer the look of the Sheath for that sleek thin line, but I’m really liking the grip of this Synthesis. I’ll wear the Sheath tomorrow & see how I like it

Reactions: jkel777

UMRebel

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
North MS
My dbrand Ghost case arrived today and I also have one large scratch on the inside bottom of the case. I’m not 100% sure if it was there fresh out of the package or if it was the result of me simply putting my phone in the case. Either way, it shouldn’t be that easy to scratch. I love the concept and look of the case, especially the grip strip all the way around the case. The bottom of the case above the charging port is pretty flexible & rubbery like others have mentioned. One handed use feels comfortable and easy. I'm very careful with my phone/cases and I don't think I can keep this thing looking good over time. What good does non-yellowing do when it seems to be this sensitive to scratches? I'm honestly hesitant to even handle it much with dry hands because the plastic seems so prone to scratch. I hope dbrand will consider doing a matte or frosted version of the case. I think it would be a major improvement if they did. While the main point of a case is to protect the phone, I certainly don't want my case to make my phone look bad. I would rather dbrand spend more of their product cost on improving the product than doing the "premium" Apple-type packaging. I would really love for this to be my everyday case, but I'm afraid it's going to be too fragile for that. Caudabe Synthesis & Apple Silicone are still my everyday cases for now.

Last edited:

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Shame to hear everyone is having so many issues with the Ghost. I’ve rated Dbrand for a long time, but seems they’ve dropped the ball on this one-and they can’t get away with insulting customers to cover it up. When you’re paying top dollar, should be perfect.

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
After receiving my knock off Clay Ali case a few weeks back, I took a punt on a second, in ‘Guava’. It arrived yesterday (8 days from
China to UK).

Everything is exactly the same as the Clay-packaging (identical to Apple, inc. the leaflet insert), mag-wallet animation etc. images make it look really red, but it’s not: it’s a bit more pinky than the photos. It did also have the Product Red logo on the box (my lighting was off as the Clay isn’t that dark either) not sure of the Apple one does or not? The one main difference though is the silicone. The Clay is quite grippy (not too bad though), but the Guava is more like a brand new Apple Watch Sport band. Both feel fine in hand, both pick up lint-but the Clay is getting smoother. Buttons are clicky and responsive too. As clones go, these are pretty good.

I’d be interested to see pictures of people’s genuine Apple silicone cases for comparison, especially of the insides.

Attachments

• IMG_5499.jpeg
    IMG_5499.jpeg
    549.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5494.jpeg
    IMG_5494.jpeg
    774.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5496.jpeg
    IMG_5496.jpeg
    671.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5495.jpeg
    IMG_5495.jpeg
    690.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5497.jpeg
    IMG_5497.jpeg
    643.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5493.jpeg
    IMG_5493.jpeg
    815.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5500.jpeg
    IMG_5500.jpeg
    675.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5492.jpeg
    IMG_5492.jpeg
    712 KB · Views: 89

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I’ll be getting my Synthesis tomorrow in gray to go with my natty.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkel777

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Man I had high hopes for the Ghost. I’m thinking of just requesting a return once it arrives and not even dealing with this. My wife’s Ultra Hybrid is 2 months old and she drops that thing all the time. No scratches at all. So having the Ghost get scratched up that easily will drive me nuts.

I’ll redirect that money to the PR Gen 5, whenever that comes out for the 14PM. Or maybe I’ll get a Black Sheath. Did not like the Synthesis last year even tho all this talk about this year’s version has me kinda thinking about it again.

infinilo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2022
new complaint to add in the on going complaints about the ghost, this Phone case is more slippery than a bar of soap. I know it’s a clear case but ridges on the side does little to nothing for the grip. I also wasn’t expecting the magnet to be so raised.

• Wow
Reactions: ZebraDude

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
new complaint to add in the on going complaints about the ghost, this Phone case is more slippery than a bar of soap. I know it’s a clear case but ridges on the side does little to nothing for the grip. I also wasn’t expecting the magnet to be so raised.
My brother who has the Ghost said it’s grippy.

Reactions: ZebraDude

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Man I had high hopes for the Ghost. I’m thinking of just requesting a return once it arrives and not even dealing with this. My wife’s Ultra Hybrid is 2 months old and she drops that thing all the time. No scratches at all. So having the Ghost get scratched up that easily will drive me nuts.

I’ll redirect that money to the PR Gen 5, whenever that comes out for the 14PM. Or maybe I’ll get a Black Sheath. Did not like the Synthesis last year even tho all this talk about this year’s version has me kinda thinking about it again.
There are most likely a far majority of people who received a 110% flawless Ghost than those who didn’t. I would wait.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Will be getting my Caudabe Synthesis tomorrow and I can’t wait.

My favorite case for a long time until they stopped making it was the Magpul field case and the Magpul bump case.

Since they stopped making it I was in search for similar. Found the Rugged Shield by Egotactical which was somewhat similar to the Magpul.

Since MagSafe was introduced the Rugged Shield hasn’t been MagSafe compatible.

The reason I’m going with the Caudabe Synthesis is because it some similar characteristics as the old Magpul plus it has MagSafe. I like one piece cases.

Anyone else remember the good ole Magpul?

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Received my Ghost case today and along the right side (including the top right corner) after putting the case on my phone I noticed a scuff on the inside. Also, near the ? mark I noticed a scuff there too, this was present before I put the case on my phone. I've requested a refund and I'm now awaiting instructions from Dbrand support on how to return this. We'll see how this goes, I guess the case will go back into the Dbrand packaging until I can send it back. I would've cancelled this order but mine shipped before I could...
I requested a cancellation before they shipped it but they shipped it anyway. I need to now contact them and request a refund. 🙄

Reactions: timeconsumer

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
I'm very aware of the issues with Dbrand's Ghost, but anyone tried their Grip case? It looks pretty up my street (plain, not too bulky, supposedly very clicky buttons) so thinking of trying it. Anyone got any pics/feedback they could share?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I'm very aware of the issues with Dbrand's Ghost, but anyone tried their Grip case? It looks pretty up my street (plain, not too bulky, supposedly very clicky buttons) so thinking of trying it. Anyone got any pics/feedback they could share?
I’d like to know too. Seems like it will get snagged in pockets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.