Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
I got a case that, apparently, a lot of people hate. I got the Apple Silicone case for nice occasions and the Otterbox Commuter with MagSafe as a daily driver (the one people hate). I like both of them.
Hey, what works for other people doesn’t have to work for everyone! Glad you found some that you enjoy! That’s half the battle!

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
I ain't reading all that, but glad they put out a statement that was more than "We're sorry" lol
I skimmed it, I didn’t buy one, but if I did I would be super annoyed that they’re trying to be all cute explaining what plastic is, and that it is softer than coins, no kidding Captain Obvious! I didn’t realize that a brand new case ships with coins rolling around inside of the packaging!

illmatic41

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012

Attachments

• PRGen5.jpg
    PRGen5.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 110

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I’m trying to figure out why everyone is so upset or surprised that the Ghost case is going to scratch? You take ANY clear case that has the non yellowing technology in it whether it’s Casetify, Rhinoshield, Mous or whoever, it’s going to scratch. I think most people are upset because the case was so hyped up and you were somehow let down. This case is going to do nothing different than any other clear case that doesn't yellow.

I’m not upset that the case WILL scratch.
If it had been pristine out the box and been scratched up after a few days use then fine.

But this case cost me £50, and arrived looking like it had been dragged behind a car a few miles before being sent to me. That’s what upset me. That’s pretty unacceptable to me.

VaderRulez

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2019
Okay, the Torras buttons fit just fine in the Nomad Rugged case. They work fine and look good but are not perfect as they are kind of flush with the sides of the case. The Torras action button will not work as it's a bit to small and wobbles around in the socket. The RhinoShield buttons will not work in the Nomad rugged case.

Also, I can confirm that the Nomad Rugged buttons are aluminum and do have a black coating on the backs.

I went right back to the Nomad buttons as they just feel better. Couple pics:

View attachment 2308657 View attachment 2308658
View attachment 2308659 View attachment 2308660
Bro that is hot. How are you liking it?

Reactions: Hooterville

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
I’m trying to figure out why everyone is so upset or surprised that the Ghost case is going to scratch? You take ANY clear case that has the non yellowing technology in it whether it’s Casetify, Rhinoshield, Mous or whoever, it’s going to scratch. I think most people are upset because the case was so hyped up and you were somehow let down. This case is going to do nothing different than any other clear case that doesn't yellow.
Because it for $50 bucks we want to be doing the scratching around here! Not them! lol

roflc0pter

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2010
Just got my Ghost case. Came with some scratches out the box after peeling off the film and a couple more after putting the iPhone in the case (can see some on the top right part in the picture below)

Coming from a Caudabe Synthesis, I can say that it feels a lot better in hand due to it being thinner. The buttons are way better but the MagSafe strength is a little weaker.

Outside of the QC issues, I will be using it as my primary case for now and see how it holds up from wear and tear. I think it looks great with the blue color on my 15 Pro Max. I know dbrand is also working on a resolution for those that email them in regards to the scratches out the box so I trust them to make it right.

Ghost.jpg

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
Just got my Ghost case. Came with some scratches out the box after peeling off the film and a couple more after putting the iPhone in the case (can see some on the top right part in the picture below)

Coming from a Caudabe Synthesis, I can say that it feels a lot better in hand due to it being thinner. The buttons are way better but the MagSafe strength is a little weaker.

Outside of the QC issues, I will be using it as my primary case for now and see how it holds up from wear and tear. I think it looks great with the blue color on my 15 Pro Max. I know dbrand is also working on a resolution for those that email them in regards to the scratches out the box so I trust them to make it right.

View attachment 2309117
It does look nice. I wouldn’t mind trying one at all. Just wish they sold them on Amazon for easy return! lol but I’ll see how the QC issues shake out and order one once they iron it out.

indigo9alpha

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2023
Anyone have the Otterbox Lumen? It’s on a 4-6 week delivery time at Apple here in Sydney, Australia. I want to get a nice clear case with Magsafe, I did order the Ghost case but cancelled after reading about some of the issues and like others don’t want to deal with overseas returns processes.

Gridlink

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2023
Anyone have the Otterbox Lumen? It’s on a 4-6 week delivery time at Apple here in Sydney, Australia. I want to get a nice clear case with Magsafe, I did order the Ghost case but cancelled after reading about some of the issues and like others don’t want to deal with overseas returns processes.
I think a couple of us have it. The grey version is gorgeous with the natural ti phone. Having a clear case with a color matched MagSafe ring looks to much better than white. Color matched sides should also limit long term yellowing to some extent too.

indigo9alpha

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2023
I think a couple of us have it. The grey version is gorgeous with the natural ti phone. Having a clear case with a color matched MagSafe ring looks to much better than white. Color matched sides should also limit long term yellowing to some extent too.
How do you find the grip and backside? I have a white 15Pro so deciding between blue or grey.

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
Finally got my 15 max.
Have to say it the Apple FW case hits it out of the park, great fit and feel, buttons good and it’s super light with good MagSafe. Never liked their leather cases as they got sticky and didn’t suit our humidity here.
Was a freebie but still probs worth $79Aud but $99 not sure lol.
The phone and case is 15 grams lighter than my 14 pro not max and the mouse or sheath case.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I’ve had clear cases develops scratches on the inside for sure. It’s just as prone to scratch just like the outside of it.

Tee ok there’s problems with the Ghost coming scratched out of the box.

However there are a lot of reports that the Ghost is getting scratched when installing. In other words as a result of installing your iPhone, the case is getting scratched. The installation is causing the case to get scratched.

Since you review a lot of cases, what’s your take on this? I find it impossible that the installation process is causing scratches. Is it possible that the installation process can cause scratches?

Last edited:
Reactions: timeconsumer

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
i have the grip case. it’s very comfortable to hold. i love the feeling of its texture. buttons are good and clicky. the action button is a little too sensitive but you get used to it. i feel the magsafe is still on the weak side. nothing scientific but just based on feel. the only reason it isn’t my main case is i’m not a fan of the shape. the body of the case gets thicker towards the top to protect the camera. i wish it just had a standard camera ring and it was uniformly shaped.
Appreciate the feedback thanks. Your comments on the clicky buttons have swayed me to order, I've recently realised this is something that bugs me.

Your comment about the shape intrigues me too, it was actually something I thought was a good aspect to it - I noticed it in the pictures and though it would be good as it would lay flat on a table. Decided I'll have to try it to find out.

Reactions: darrinS

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
Caudabe users - am I alone in still thinking the buttons just aren't great?

I have the Sheath and Synthesis, power button on both is fine, volume buttons on both are OK at best, but the action button cover is bad on the Sheath and downright awful on the Synthesis. It's not a one-off either - I complained about them to Caudabe, so they've sent me replacements for both, they arrived yesterday and are just as bad.

A user on here suggested the buttons can be 'stretched' a little by taking the phone out and pushing them further than they should. I've tried this and it makes the Sheath action button what I'd call 'the low end of acceptable', but the Synthesis is still terrible - I literally can't feel if the button is being pressed at all, I only know by looking on-screen to see if anything happens. After having it on 2 Synthesis's I think I give up.

I'm desperate for one of these to be my daily case (probably the Sheath at this point as I give up on the Synthesis), but I'm running out of patience 🤦🏻‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.