Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
More excuses by a reputable company instead of owning up that they got it wrong.

How else are you suppose to install a case?

Wear gloves before opening the box?

I cannot stop laughing at people mocking Apple for charging £59 for Fine Woven case and then defending Dbrand.

Two types of scratches 😂.
The 2 categories of scratches, scratches right of the box which is not acceptable.

The other scratch I’m referring too is the many reports of having no scratches out of the box, then after installing the phone scratches appear. If you install phone properly then I can’t see scratches happening as a result of installation.

Last edited:

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
I’m not referring to scratches out of the box, that’s a different story. I’m referring to many reports of people getting scratches as a result of installation. In other words no scratches out of the box but after installation there are scratches.
Ah okay, my apologies

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
More excuses by a reputable company instead of owning up that they got it wrong.

How else are you suppose to install a case?

Wear gloves before opening the box?

I cannot stop laughing at people mocking Apple for charging £59 for Fine Woven case and then defending Dbrand.

Two types of scratches 😂.
Embarassing really

Reactions: Ericdjensen

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
The 2 categories of scratches are scratches right of the box which is not acceptable.

The other scratch I’m referring too is the many reports of having no scratches out of the box, then after installing the phone scratches appear.

That’s not people’s faults or that they don’t know how to install cases.

Hard plastic clear cases will scratch once you pop the phone in and out from the contact of the phone against the case itself.

I had a caudabe lucid clear a couple years back and same thing happened after installing the phone in and out a few times. It’s inevitable.

Would love to know if you could do otherwise lol

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I've used clear cases on so many different devices and mainly from Spigen and Ringke ..I can count maybe 2 times if that much where I scratched the case from changing cases .. I'm no expert on anti yellowing but my common sense tells me to buy the cheaper case with solid feel and replace it when it yellows ...you will probably be on a different phone by the time you get to case #3... I will add I'm a Dbrand customer for many years and will continue to buy their products..they have always done great customer service from my experience...

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
My grey sheath arrived today. First time trying it out. My initial thoughts…

- fits great. Nice and tight and feels solid.
- power button is good, other buttons are meh.
- it’s a bit more bulky and heavier than I would really like but I’ll run with it for now and see how it goes.
- grip on the sides for me is good. Grip on the back, I’m not sure. My skin type is such that there are cases I try that feel like a bar of soap to me that others seem to like so I’m not sure yet if this will work for me. Clearly the synthesis sides are grippier but how is the back? It looks more plastic to me and potentially less grippy?

Have to say I was very impressed with delivery to the UK. I used the 30% discount code and so decided to ‘treat’ myself to express delivery with the saving. Total cost for the case with delivery with the discount was £40.02. I ordered it late Sunday evening. It dispatched Monday and I received it in the Uk on Wednesday. Very efficient and better than many Uk companies manage!

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
That’s not people’s faults or that they don’t know how to install cases.

Hard plastic clear cases will scratch once you pop the phone in and out from the contact of the phone against the case itself.

I had a caudabe lucid clear a couple years back and same thing happened after installing the phone in and out a few times. It’s inevitable.

Would love to know if you could do otherwise lol
Well watching YouTubers I don’t see the case getting scratched after installation.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I've used clear cases on so many different devices and mainly from Spigen and Ringke ..I can count maybe 2 times if that much where I scratched the case from changing cases .. I'm no expert on anti yellowing but my common sense tells me to buy the cheaper case with solid feel and replace it when it yellows ...you will probably be on a different phone by the time you get to case #3... I will add I'm a Dbrand customer for many years and will continue to buy their products..they have always done great customer service from my experience...
So you’re saying it’s rare for the case to get scratched as a result of installation?

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
So you’re saying it’s rare for the case to get scratched as a result of installation?

I’m not saying rare just my experience of it not happening.. also you have to take into consideration if it’s a tight fit bc that will increase the chances of scratches ..if I got a scratch on a case it’s from normal usage which is understandable..

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I’m not saying rare just my experience of it not happening.. also you have to take into consideration if it’s a tight fit bc that will increase the chances of scratches ..if I got a scratch on a case it’s from normal usage which is understandable..
What would you say to those that are unhappy about the Ghost case getting scratched as a result of installation then?

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
What would you say to those that are unhappy about the Ghost case getting scratched as a result of installation then?
Man it's tough everyone's tolerance level is different...I'm OCD ..if I just got the case and it scratched the first time installing the phone and knowing how careful I am with all my cases I would be pissed tbh... I'm not one to lie about stuff so I would notify customer service and we can figure it out ...as I mentioned earlier long time Dbrand customer so I have no reason to stop being a customer..

seaguy

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2023
Anyone have the Otterbox Lumen? It’s on a 4-6 week delivery time at Apple here in Sydney, Australia. I want to get a nice clear case with Magsafe, I did order the Ghost case but cancelled after reading about some of the issues and like others don’t want to deal with overseas returns processes.
I have the Torras Clear Shockproof and its a baller case.

Reactions: indigo9alpha

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Tee ok there’s problems with the Ghost coming scratched out of the box.

However there are a lot of reports that the Ghost is getting scratched when installing. In other words as a result of installing your iPhone, the case is getting scratched. The installation is causing the case to get scratched.

Since you review a lot of cases, what’s your take on this? I find it impossible that the installation process is causing scratches. Is it possible that the installation process can cause scratches?
Not at all impossible. Happens on Tech21 clear cases, it happens on some Otterbox clear cases, and it happened to a Spigen case I had many years ago. It's probably not accurate to call them scratches though. They are more like scuffs that result from insertion of the phone...as the phone's corners slide into place they mark up the case.

Reactions: walds11

debroei

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
Any of you guys now option where to buy a speck candyshell pumpkin color in Europe?
I want to buy 2 cases but it’s 11 euro shipping and 19 euro Vat :(
Anyone who knows shop in Europe who sells these cases?

thekidat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
Bay Area, CA
The 2 categories of scratches, scratches right of the box which is not acceptable.

The other scratch I’m referring too is the many reports of having no scratches out of the box, then after installing the phone scratches appear. If you install phone properly then I can’t see scratches happening as a result of installation.
"You're holding it wrong" vibes. Super ridiculous. Installing a case normally should not make scratches on a brand new case.

Mr Knight

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2021
Took delivery of two Sheaths, both damaged on arrival.

Less than impressed.

Last edited:

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
Any of you guys now option where to buy a speck candyshell pumpkin color in Europe?
I want to buy 2 cases but it’s 11 euro shipping and 19 euro Vat :(
Anyone who knows shop in Europe who sells these cases?

I couldn’t find any - had to import from USA

Reactions: debroei

Mr Knight

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2021
I totally agree. I have a clear

Spigen Magnetic Ultra Hybrid.​

Not one mark. You put the side with the volume keys and action buttons in and work the top and bottom over the ends and slip up the right side.
I will admit these Hybrid Cases are insanely good for the price. Accurate generous cutouts on the bottom, excellent fit and the MagSafe is ludicrously strong.

Only downside is they will inevitably yellow over time but that’s more a clear case thing.

Reactions: vded and Mr.C

indigo9alpha

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2023
Both are good. The sides and back are nicely grippy. The back does show fingerprints and smudges but they easily wipe off. Being a clear case though they aren't as immediately visible as with an aramid fiber case.
Great, thanks for the feedback. Fingerprint’s don’t bother me as much hehe

Reactions: Gridlink
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.