Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
That’s interesting to see the difference in the 12 vs 15PM Sheath, but I think it may be largely due to the difference in the phones dimensions. I compared via Apple website & 12 is 0.29 inch depth while 15 PM is 0.32 inch depth.

This is my first year with Caudabe, but I have read others saying the same as you, that this years sheath & synthesis are more similar than previous years.
Yes, there is a difference between the phones' thicknesses, but not as significant as the increase between the cases. And there is definitely more side surface area for grip on the new one... this Sheath almost feels Otterbox-like compared to the old skinny guy on the 12PM. :rolleyes:

AnJarBo

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2014
That’s interesting to see the difference in the 12 vs 15PM Sheath, but I think it may be largely due to the difference in the phones dimensions. I compared via Apple website & 12 is 0.29 inch depth while 15 PM is 0.32 inch depth.

This is my first year with Caudabe, but I have read others saying the same as you, that this years sheath & synthesis are more similar than previous years.

Yes, there is a difference between the phones' thicknesses, but not as significant as the increase between the cases. And there is definitely more side surface area for grip on the new one... this Sheath almost feels Otterbox-like compared to the old skinny guy on the 12PM. :rolleyes:
The Sheath beefed up mid-cycle on the iPhone 12 because of Magsafe. They implemented the full thick rigid backplate with the embedded magnets and that’s what caused the significant increase in bulk and weight. I really like it as it is, but the design and slimness before Magsafe was their peak to me. If they sold non-Magsafe models today, those would be the ones I’d get.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Fed up with Andar. Ordered 6 weeks ago now and go this response: "As per your provided details, order number # was placed on the 30th of September. However, I regret to inform you that, at the moment, I don't have the specific details about the status of your order or the tracking link."

Err, well thanks then!

• Wow
Reactions: Djones96

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Fed up with Andar. Ordered 6 weeks ago now and go this response: "As per your provided details, order number # was placed on the 30th of September. However, I regret to inform you that, at the moment, I don't have the specific details about the status of your order or the tracking link."

Err, well thanks then!
Oh man.. And people want to make a fuss about Caudabe's customer service.. granted it hasn't been the best, it seems Andars is worse.

Reactions: Sal09 and AVBeatMan

DawPi

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2023
View attachment 2310318

View attachment 2310319

Here they are, one for me, one for my cousin... no phones yet, but cases! 🤣

In my comparison, the Synthesis is a little thinner (first photo). Width wise, Synthesis is a little wider (second photo).

It appears that Caudabe is moving the Synthesis and Sheath closer to each other. Used to be the Synthesis was more robust with the harder material on the back. Now with the felt lining on the Sheath they've become similar in weight with the Synthesis actually being slightly smaller in some of the dimensions.

View attachment 2310380

Here you can see how much thicker the 15 PM Sheath (R) is than the same model for the iPhone 12. It also weighs considerably more - 46g vs. 26g.

Am I weird or something but these kind of cases are ugliest I've ever saw. Bold rubber, not fancy at all the pattern. Bleh...

Reactions: Kurt871 and Tills13

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Oh man.. And people want to make a fuss about Caudabe's customer service.. granted it hasn't been the best, it seems Andars is worse.
How's everyone's experience with Pitaka? I ordered the MagEZ Case Pro 4 on November 1st and near as I can tell it is sitting at the Hong Kong airport for the last 3 days. Caudabe had some issues early on but by the time I ordered my case it only took 5 days to arrive.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Am I weird or something but these kind of cases are ugliest I've ever saw. Bold rubber, not fancy at all the pattern. Bleh...
I have the Caudabe Synthesis. It’s not an ugly case but it’s not a pretty case. But it’s a very functional case. I call it a stupidly simple case.

Reactions: Jimmyone

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
How's everyone's experience with Pitaka? I ordered the MagEZ Case Pro 4 on November 1st and near as I can tell it is sitting at the Hong Kong airport for the last 3 days. Caudabe has some issues early on but by the time I ordered my case it only took 5 days to arrive.
Not sure as I have never owned a case from Pitaka. Have you reached out to their customer service?

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
It appears that Caudabe is moving the Synthesis and Sheath closer to each other. Used to be the Synthesis was more robust with the harder material on the back. Now with the felt lining on the Sheath they've become similar in weight with the Synthesis actually being slightly smaller in some of the dimensions.

View attachment 2310380

Here you can see how much thicker the 15 PM Sheath (R) is than the same model for the iPhone 12. It also weighs considerably more - 46g vs. 26g.
I had a Sheath last year on my 14 Pro Max, and just got the Synthesis for my 15 Pro Max. I know it's not Apples to Apples, but it does seem the Caudabe case get a little thicker each year. This case is 45gr.

I appreciate that a case that provides mid-level drop protection needs to have some thickness, but I was surprised that this years case is this heavy. It does fit well, the buttons work fine, and the grip is nice. It just adds noticable weight to a Pro Max. Even with the 15 series dropping some weight this year, the 15 Pro Max with a Synthesis case, is a little heavy.

Fortunately, I use my phone naked most of the time (the phone, not me...). I did want a case with mid-level protection for those times when I run a higher risk of dropping it (occasional use). So I'm not complainingg about the weight really, but I am surprised that the weight is going up each year. Once Magsafe was implemented, I thought the weight would remain stable.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Just picked up this Aulumu case from Amazon. I’m really digging it!
IMG_3551.jpeg
IMG_3552.jpeg
IMG_3553.jpeg

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Well, I caved. Judging by dimensions and fit alone, the Synthesis is solid so far but I haven’t been able to use it yet because it doesn’t not fit with my current WSKEN screen protector. New screen protector incoming so I can truly give this a shot.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0103.jpeg
    IMG_0103.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 91

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
Well, I caved. Judging by dimensions and fit alone, the Synthesis is solid so far but I haven’t been able to use it yet because it doesn’t not fit with my current WSKEN screen protector. New screen protector incoming so I can truly give this a shot.
Is that the Apple Silicone case? How does it compare in terms of size to the Synthesis (thickness, width, etc.)?

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I’ve been running the Synthesis since I first got hands on it and I finally took it off and began running the Sheath. All I have to say is it’s going to be tough ranking my top 10 cases. Plan to do the video here in a week or so.

Sheath is good as it’s ever been and fits even tighter.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I’ve been running the Synthesis since I first got hands on it and I finally took it off and began running the Sheath. All I have to say is it’s going to be tough ranking my top 10 cases. Plan to do the video here in a week or so.

Sheath is good as it’s ever been and fits even tighter.
Tee I only have the Synthesis. What “feels” thinner in the hand?

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
Never owned a PopSocket in my life but I do now o_O Got the PopSocket Magsafe and it's pretty cool. On the back of the "SlipperySuit" it does add some grip to the back while folded flat. The MagSafe strength of the SlipperySuit hold the PopSocket on like it's welded. I will try it on some of my other cases and see how it goes.
Don' t think it was worth $30. but pretty cool device none the less.

pop01.jpg
pop02.jpg
pop03.jpg

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013

Err, well thanks then!
I had an order placed on 9/29 and now all of a sudden its showing cancelled in the Shop app. If I go to my account on the Andar site that order still shows paid - unfulfilled. Who knows what the hell is going on with them. If it is in fact cancelled, it would have been nice to know about!

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Man, I can't get over how clean this moft case is..
Never owned a PopSocket in my life but I do now o_O Got the PopSocket Magsafe and it's pretty cool. On the back of the "SlipperySuit" it does add some grip to the back while folded flat. The MagSafe strength of the SlipperySuit hold the PopSocket on like it's welded. I will try it on some of my other cases and see how it goes.
Don' t think it was worth $30. but pretty cool device none the less.

View attachment 2310488 View attachment 2310491 View attachment 2310493
The popsocket combined with this case looks sweet, I've been thinking about picking up this combo, but not sure the popsocket is worth $30 o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.