Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
How are people with the FW cases getting on with them? I was in an Apple Store today, and have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Not sure about Mag Wallets, but the case I could deal with: to the point I’d even consider getting one. The ones on display, although scuffed etc, didn’t look too bad. And from my handling and use, I have to say I feel confident that I could keep looking decent for a reasonable amount of time-especially as I have a few cases for rotation.
I like it, genuinely. I have now taken it off my phone as my only drawback to it is that the cutouts hurt my pinkie, and I seem to rest my phone on my pinkie a lot (even though I didn't realise it). Other than this I like the feel, the fit is great, the buttons are perfect, and it doesn't feel bulky.

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
I like it, genuinely. I have now taken it off my phone as my only drawback to it is that the cutouts hurt my pinkie, and I seem to rest my phone on my pinkie a lot (even though I didn't realise it). Other than this I like the feel, the fit is great, the buttons are perfect, and it doesn't feel bulky.
That’s good to hear. This is the first time I was able to try it on the phone, as I didn’t have the 15 when I saw it initially. Slides in and out of the pocket nicely (I was wearing my skinny jeans too)-I was expecting a little more resistance to be honest, but was pleasantly surprised. I’d agree that it’s not bulky, and really surprised how light it was; the phone felt literally no different with it on.

I do qualify for a bit of education discount too, so I *could* be tempted. Maybe a ‘just for best’ case.

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Been stuck on this all black Defender Pro XT… I didn’t expect to like it this much, hasn’t come off my phone since I got it.
Whilst I have swapped between my silicone cases, I have to say, I’m loving my Decoded black leather. It’s the one I go back to over and over.

Reactions: Joe123Joe

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Seems mixed, but like anything I think the people with negative experiences are far more vocal about it. Dbrand seems to be handling it pretty well, sounds like replacing or refunding if damaged on arrival. Plenty of Reddit posts cropping up with no issues.

I went ahead with ordering both a ghost and a grip case knowing full well the ghost could be hit or miss. Trust they would make it right if subpar.

Nice. Looking forward to your impressions!

I received mine last Friday (preordered 9/27). Flawless out of the box - no scuffs or scratches. Additionally, there’s no play at the bottom lip, clicky/tactile buttons, strong MagSafe magnet, great grip, thin and amazing form factor. The Ghost lives up to the hype. This case is a looker too.

Do you have any pictures to share?

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
Whilst I have swapped between my silicone cases, I have to say, I’m loving my Decoded black leather. It’s the one I go back to over and over.
Have you ever had an Andar Aspen? And if so, how would you compare the two? (decoded and Andar)

Reactions: kvlq

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I think the strongest argument for the Synthesis is the fit. It matches the Apple Sillicone dimensions very closely and wraps around the phone very well.

It was very slippery out of the box, but over the last 24 hours it’s developed a little more grip. The sides definitely help with the grip and I can imagine just how slippery the Sheath is without these ridges.

I wish the buttons were completely covered, as these little slots allow lint/dirt to get into the case. I’m also having an issue with the Action button where it’s very difficult to press, unlike the Power button.

All in all, I believe this is the most complete third party case I’ve come across so far for the 15 series in my use case. I still hate that Apple got rid of the leather case, as it had the potential to be better than ever this year.

Edit: The MagSafe magnets are super strong! 👏🏻

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0110.jpeg
    IMG_0110.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0109.jpeg
    IMG_0109.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
exactly this, also sides are a bit slippery

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I think the strongest argument for the Synthesis is the fit. It matches the Apple Sillicone dimensions very closely and wraps around the phone very well.

It was very slippery out of the box, but over the last 24 hours it’s developed a little more grip. The sides definitely help with the grip and I can imagine just how slippery the Sheath is without these ridges.

I wish the buttons were completely covered, as these little slots will allows lint/dirt to get into the case. I’m also having an issue with the Action button where it’s very difficult to press, unlike the Power button.

All in all, I believe this is the most complete third party case I’ve come across so far for the 15 series in my use case. I still hate that Apple got rid of the leather case, as it has the potential to be better than ever this year.
It slippery in general. Forgot I had my phone on the dash board and when I made a turn it slid like ice.

However the matrix grips on the sides make it pretty grippy.

Action button is weird. Mine works good but not as tactile as the others.

The slits on the buttons don’t bother me as I take my case off every night to wipe it off. It’s not considered a rugged case so for me the buttons don’t need to be covered.

The Synthesis as I’ve posted before reminds me in a way of the good ole Magpul field case which was slippery too but has the ribs to help with grip.

I call the Synthesis a stupidly simple functional case.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
What’s the Ghost situation? Anybody have one and like it?

I’m sending mine back because it was in quite a state. But, if it hadn’t have been it would be my case of choice. Slip. Grippy. Good magnets. Tiny amount of play in the bottom lip (but nothing I’d notice unless specifically checking it). And perfect pass on the pinky test.

Sadly it looked like it had been dragged over a glass pit before being sent to me. And as I don’t trust their QC enough to be confident the replacement would be pristine I decided to ask for a refund.

If you get one with no scratches out the box you’re golden.

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
I'm actually liking my AE silicone case. I knew going in that the front lip was small, but it's still a downside for me. So for those that have the FW, is the lip similar?

Also, has anyone bought a FW from AE? I'd be willing to give one a shot if they're any good

fadeout

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2023
Anyone running any of the Torras cases? They look to be good quality for the price.
I have a titanium colored guardian and the clear one with the white cushioning both are decent cases. The guardian has saved my 15pm once or twice. I don’t really use them because both cases get really greasy feeling quick.

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Have you ever had an Andar Aspen? And if so, how would you compare the two? (decoded and Andar)
I haven’t. This is my first outing in a non-Apple leather case, but CS issues aside, I’m impressed with the Decoded: I’d def. have one again. I do have a leather conditioner which I’ve used twice just because I can, and it’s enhanced it a little-but even without me doing that, it’s still a lovely feeling case.

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
even though I am happy in my Defender XT, I saw Amazon had the Spigen Rugged Armor case available for same day delivery so I just got it to check it out. Wow they really improved the fit from last year. Last years version the sides were very soft and could be pushed out barely trying, this year they are MUCH firmer. Looks great with the black titanium… will try to remember to take some pictures when I get home later on.

Reactions: Hooterville

Mr Knight

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2021
Heavily disappointed by Caudabe with the latest Sheath. I’m aware I’m probably just very unlucky but first impressions go a long way and this was just crap.

Ordered 2 Sheaths with the (ironic) SORRY30 code as I figured I could easily sell the colour I didn’t like to a fellow UK resident at cost. A week later they arrived with thankfully no customs duty which is something I often get slapped with when buying from the US and I was excited to see what all the fuss was about.

Sadly this excitement was in vain as both cases literally had defects/damage on them which was noticeable right out of the box. One case had a chunk out of the back of it and the other had a split in the volume buttons which made them not operate properly. Naturally I fired a WTF email to Caudabe as this isn’t good enough considering their reputation.

To add insult to injury I slapped both cases on the phone to check fitment as I assumed Caudabe would just send out replacements when they got around to replying to my email and guess what, the USBC cutout is spot on for both cases but somehow they’ve managed to get the aligned of the speaker cutouts very wrong. Not so much off centre but more off centre AND on an angle for both speakers so you can see them tapering off and partially covering the end speaker holes slightly. Obviously this won’t hinder function of the speakers but it gives me a hint of the build quality of this batch of cases. For reference I’ve just had a couple of Spigen cases from Amazon which were £18 each and yet somehow they are absolutely spot on in fitment & cutout alignment, plus the MagSafe has much more pull than the Caudabe. I get that Caudabe are a small outfit compared to other case companies like Spigen, but you need to bring something to the table to earn my money.

A real shame as I expected the Sheath to be the case staying on my 15 Pro Max until the 16/17/18/whatever Pro Max is out. Admittedly I normally go Apple leather cases on my iPhones but since getting my 15PM the Apple Silicone has been on it and only let down by the small cable port cutout.

Reactions: Pug72

Mr Knight

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2021
even though I am happy in my Defender XT, I saw Amazon had the Spigen Rugged Armor case available for same day delivery so I just got it to check it out. Wow they really improved the fit from last year. Last years version the sides were very soft and could be pushed out barely trying, this year they are MUCH firmer. Looks great with the black titanium… will try to remember to take some pictures when I get home later on.
Spigen cases are crazy good this year. Usually they’re a 6/10 at best but they’ve really upped their game with the iPhone 15 series and I’d give them a solid 9/10.

Reactions: Joe123Joe

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Spigen cases are crazy good this year. Usually they’re a 6/10 at best but they’ve really upped their game with the iPhone 15 series and I’d give them a solid 9/10.
Just had a look. Wondering if anybody has any experience with this one. I’m intrigued.

Mr Knight

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2021
Just had a look. Wondering if anybody has any experience with this one. I’m intrigued.

Can’t comment on the earlier stuff for the 14 etc. looks to just be a Hybrid case with a cutout for a credit card to sit in.

Not a bad idea if you’re not fussed with MagSafe but want somewhere to stick your ID (Apple pay makes carrying most payment cards redundant in my opinion)

Reactions: Mr.C

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Really loving trying out all the case options for my Titanium Blue 15 Pro - besides Storm Blue, the Winter Blue Silicone Case here, I also think the lighter blue makes a really nice contrast with the deep dark richer blue of the phone.

View attachment 2311049

Might have to grab this one and hold it on reserve for next summer...this will look great on the natty titanium

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Not a bad idea if you’re not fussed with MagSafe but want somewhere to stick your ID (Apple pay makes carrying most payment cards redundant in my opinion)
I’m currently using a non-MagSafe silicone case and don’t miss it. I have plenty of lightning cables/docks squirreled away and have never found a vehicle mount that I really like so it’s been an easy transition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.