Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
The weight is the only negative aspect of the Synthesis, which is a big negative, for me. This case is only used in certain situations now sadly. You really notice the weight of the phone when the case is off.

I have been running an Apple silicone case in Cypress and Clay for a few days, and the weight is so much better. It's going to be my daily cases for the time being.

Clay looks great with natty.

Synthesis 15P weights 40 grams.

Wouldn’t you consider the Apple Silicone in a different category than the Synthesis though? With the Synthesis being a more protective case which results in more weight?

Last edited:

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Speck Presidio 2 Grip with the MagSafe PopSocket on the back. A fantastic combo.

View attachment 2311488 View attachment 2311489 View attachment 2311490 View attachment 2311491

How much bulk does the speck add to the phone?

I always hated large phones. I thought the 6s was gigantic when I upgraded from the 5 but for the 4-5 range I always had the speck grip cases. Ordered one for the 6s and felt it added too much bulk to what I thought was an already gigantic phone. 😂😂

Fast forward a few years and I’ve got the pro max, the speck colours look fab. But I don’t want a bulky case.

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Got my FineWoven case delivered just now, I'm keeping it but the quality is just not there for the price. I got the black one so hopefully it will last longer than the other colours. The cutout around the USB-C port is a bit off center which is a surprise for Apple.

CaramelSky

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
Does anyone know of some slim cases that about the same as the Apple Silicone? I love the Apple silicone cases and happy with their protection, just want something new.

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
Speck Presidio 2 Grip is being returned today :(
The grease pit on the back after one night of use is just unbearable :mad:
Also the fact that this case is virtually impossible to remove the phone from, I'm DONE.

• Sad
Reactions: Zensō

NY2JP

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2023
Tokyo
IMG_1342.jpeg

I couldn’t resist the Rick and Morty case with ring stand from Casetify.

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
The magnet issue is still occurring on the caudabe synthesis. Haven’t had the case a week yet and the magnet has came out.

Exactly why I’m Sheath only this year. I gave up on synthesis because of that reason even though so many people love it, I can’t do it anymore. I had the same issue with my 14PM synthesis as well and had it this year as well and just kept getting replacements that would do the same. Sorry that happened I really think it’s a matter of time for everyone else’s to do that as well. Major flaw on that case.

Reactions: Iamdld and Sal09

Iamdld

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2023
Exactly why I’m Sheath only this year. I gave up on synthesis because of that reason even though so many people love it, I can’t do it anymore. I had the same issue with my 14PM synthesis as well and had it this year as well and just kept getting replacements that would do the same. Sorry that happened I really think it’s a matter of time for everyone else’s to do that as well. Major flaw on that case.

Thanks. I’ve only taken the case off 2 or 3 times. Didn’t even realize it was gone until I tried to use a magnetic grip and noticed the bottom half wasn’t catching where that magnet is supposed to be.

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
I'm still waiting on my Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro 4, ordered back on 11/2. The tracking link shows it arrived at the Hong Kong airport on 11/8 but no updates since then. That case is now on sale and Pitaka has offered a refund to reflect the new pricing but I still have no idea when it will arrive.... hope it's worth the wait.

Reactions: Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I'm still waiting on my Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro 4, ordered back on 11/2. The tracking link shows it arrived at the Hong Kong airport on 11/8 but no updates since then. That case is now on sale and Pitaka has offered a refund to reflect the new pricing but I still have no idea when it will arrive.... hope it's worth the wait.

It’s a really nice case, definitely worth the wait. They’ve been available on Amazon for a while now, would be an alternative if your shipment from China doesn’t eventually arrive.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Thanks. I’ve only taken the case off 2 or 3 times. Didn’t even realize it was gone until I tried to use a magnetic grip and noticed the bottom half wasn’t catching where that magnet is supposed to be.
Man, between the Synthesis magnets and the MagSafe circle on the Sheath, Caudabe QC has taken a nose dive this year.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA

Same. My blue/black Pitaka is waiting in HK since Nov 9.

machopeful

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
IMG_1303.jpeg
IMG_1308.jpeg
Grabbed this on sale from Amazon. I had both taupe and green FW cases when the 15s came out but returned after a few days as better case options started to ship to customers. I think it’s a great case but not at MSRP.

machopeful

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
How would you rate it for protection? Drops, lay on the table etc.
So far, so good. I’ve only used it for about 48 hours, but I wouldn’t worry too much about the front of the case (screen protection, lay on the table protection, etc.). The back is tbd. That being said, I’ve been using the FW wallet in taupe for a few weeks now and it still looks great.

I really loved apple’s leather cases despite their flaws and shared the same concerns about FW as everyone else does. There are trade offs to both (ie FW can scuff, but it’s easy to fix whereas Apple leather can also scuff but much harder to fix/patina looks crap). If you treat FW with the same care as you do other cases, I think it’s a pretty great option for fit, style, etc.

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
So far, so good. I’ve only used it for about 48 hours, but I wouldn’t worry too much about the front of the case (screen protection, lay on the table protection, etc.). The back is tbd. That being said, I’ve been using the FW wallet in taupe for a few weeks now and it still looks great.

I really loved apple’s leather cases despite their flaws and shared the same concerns about FW as everyone else does. There are trade offs to both (ie FW can scuff, but it’s easy to fix whereas Apple leather can also scuff but much harder to fix/patina looks crap). If you treat FW with the same care as you do other cases, I think it’s a pretty great option for fit, style, etc.
The sharp bottom cutouts are the main issue.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Bummer... It sounds like they will ship folks up to 2 replacement cases, but then what? And who wants the hassle of getting case replaced periodically?

I may just return my Synthesis before my return period is up. I was on the fence either way due to how hard it is to get on/off, and the 46gr weight. The probability of having magnet issues, just makes it harder to keep this case. I have a couple weeks to decide.

In the mean time, I will try to find something that fits well, has decent grip, and is lighter.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBlass421

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I spent some time with another 14PM guy yesterday and he had a Mous carbon fiber case he wasn’t using. Gotta say I was pretty disappointed in this case. Rattling buttons, banana-boat shape and the edge was pulling away at the volume buttons.

He offered it to me and I went straight back into my cheap Amazon silicone case. Now if he had offered me the UAG Pathfinder he was using I’d have been all over it but he did say if he got around to upgrading he’d give it to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.