Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Agreed. Even though I don't use the action button as much as others might, having a cutout on the case just looks lazy and trashy IMO. If Caudabe hadn't released a version of the Synthesis with a cover, it would have been an absolute no for me.

Yea but my thinking is I never had a case with a cover for silent so it doesn’t matter to me.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Try as I might, I can't seem to whittle my collection down to less than these three.

For some inexplicable reason, I impulsively ordered a black Sheath and Synthesis for 15PM when I received their 35% off email offer (sucker for a deal, I suppose). I doubt those are going to make it into this final rotation, so I may have the Caudabe's on offer as a pair at a deep discount once they arrive, which should be Thursday or Friday. I'll let you know in case anyone is interested.

DSCF2392.jpeg

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
Try as I might, I can't seem to whittle my collection down to less than these three.

For some inexplicable reason, I impulsively ordered a black Sheath and Synthesis for 15PM when I received their 35% off email offer (sucker for a deal, I suppose). I doubt those are going to make it into this final rotation, so I may have the Caudabe's on offer as a pair at a deep discount once they arrive, which should be Thursday or Friday. I'll let you know in case anyone is interested.

View attachment 2312355
Which of those three see the most action?

Reactions: Zensō

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
IMG_20231030_220751294~2_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231030_220954219~2_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231030_220918032~2_Original.jpeg
i really want to go without a case and did for about a week. but then i worry i’ll drop it or just get tired of being so careful with it. but i did buy a magsafe wallet from geometricgoods and it works with or without a case. if you’re a fan of using a wallet, this is a great option.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Which of those three see the most action?
The Mous. I really like the feel of the plastic (very subjective), reminds me of the plastic in a European car. Grippy enough, but not sticky. The wood is fingerprint resistant. It's not super heavy and feels reasonably thin considering I can toss it around without any concern. There's a lot to like. I do wish they'd eliminate one of the logos and round off the back edge just a bit, but neither are deal breakers for me.

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
The Mous. I really like the feel of the plastic (very subjective), reminds me of the plastic in a European car. Grippy enough, but not sticky. The wood is fingerprint resistant. It's not super heavy and feels reasonably thin considering I can toss it around without any concern. There's a lot to like. I do wish they'd eliminate one of the logos and round off the back edge just a bit, but neither are deal breakers for me.
The Bamboo Mous has been collecting dust in my Amazon cart for a while now.
Had the Bamboo last year and the clear coating on the wood started wearing off and looking crappy.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
The Bamboo Mous nhas been collecting dust in my Amazon cart for a while now.
Had the Bamboo last year and the clear coating on the wood started wearing off and looking crappy.
I can imagine that happening. Hoping with the walnut it takes on a nice patina, but could just look bad like cheap leather does. We'll see.

Reactions: Hooterville

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Dude I have to backtrack on my statement about not being able to recommend Andar Aspen because of the wait time. God damn was this thing worth the wait. The leather feels way better to me than last year (last year I had jet black so maybe that makes a difference) but I’m shocked more people aren’t talking about this case, especially since Apple Leather is gone. These are honestly better. But maybe no one is talking about them because it’s hard to get them lol. Buttons SUPER CLICKY, fit is superb, and the comfort in hand is amazing. I’m considering making this my daily driver but it’s so damn good looking I don’t want to scuff it lol. Also they stepped their game up on packaging big time as well. Super nice presentation. Couple pics below.

Edit: after posting I looked at my pics and the pictures don’t even do it justice. You’ll have to see for yourself. And I’m not usually fond of anything that has a different color than black around the front of my screen.

I got mine today and totally agree with you. Lovely leather and perfect fit. Not as grippy as Caudabe but leather smells amazing!

Reactions: Joe123Joe

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Why do most people don’t like having an open action button?

If you use the action button frequently, imo, it doesn’t feel natural reaching in the cutout to hit the button. It’s not a huge deal but seems lazy for whatever reason. Also a Place to collect dust/sand/grit as well.

For me, it's just one more, unnecessary place for dust and cr@p to get into the case. And it also shows laziness on the part of case makers.
^^
Yea but my thinking is I never had a case with a cover for silent so it doesn’t matter to me.
I use the action button way more than I ever used the ringer switch. As with anything, ymmv.

Hard to understand why casetify, with as much as they charge, haven't included an action button version. Unless they did some research and showed people prefer the cutout (unlikely). Or they started production before they knew what the 15 would put in that space (more likely).

Reactions: Mr.C and Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Hard to understand why casetify, with as much as they charge, haven't included an action button version. Unless they did some research and showed people prefer the cutout (unlikely). Or they started production before they knew what the 15 would put in that space (more likely).
I think you're right. UAG did the same it seems. It's funny that two of the biggest manufacturers both botched it.

Reactions: SweetLou122

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
I think you're right. UAG did the same it seems. It's funny that two of the biggest manufacturers both botched it.
Casetify had the brains to put an action button on their ultra bounce. I sent mine back but if you look at my past pictures you’ll see it there. Crazy they wouldn’t do it for all of their overpriced cases… with that ugly branding…. Rant over lol

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
Had the day off today so I’ve been running the Aspen all day… loving this thing. Going back to work tomorrow and worried it’s going to get all banged up in my pocket while working. I know a patina looks good but this thing is so pretty I’m having a hard time thinking of messing it up lol. Might have to go back to the “Fat Daddy XT” as Hooterville would say, for work, and Aspen for play.

kadinh

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
PR5 buttons and lens protector on the website now, but no buy button

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I just received the matte black Spigen Ultra Hybrid case and I’m loving it, especially with how it contrasts with My white 15 pro! I went with this because i still wanted a clear case, without having to worry about a soft tpu case that will just yellow over time. I’ve used several of these in the past and it’s always been phenomenal!
View attachment 2304478
I have the same case for my 15PM and love it too. I used the clear and then the black/clear for my iPhone X and after the clear one turned yellow I decided no more totally clear cases for me..

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
Had the day off today so I’ve been running the Aspen all day… loving this thing. Going back to work tomorrow and worried it’s going to get all banged up in my pocket while working. I know a patina looks good but this thing is so pretty I’m having a hard time thinking of messing it up lol. Might have to go back to the “Fat Daddy XT” as Hooterville would say, for work, and Aspen for play.
Is it as protective as Apple's Leather cases, or more so? Is there any branding/logo on the exterior? Now you got me considering this case... lol

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
PR5 buttons and lens protector on the website now, but no buy button

Anyone got the Frosted Series Gen5?

Reactions: SweetLou122
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.