Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Folks, we’ve been sleeping on the Smartish Gripmunk. I’ve been super impressed with it. The closest comparison in my mind is with the Synthesis. It’s lighter, identical in size, more grippy, feels much better in hand, more comfortable on the pinky, buttons work better and it’s easier to remove. My only gripe is that it doesn’t come in better colors. The synthesis action button is awful. I’m leaning towards sending it back.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 112

Zedicus16

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2023
United States
Folks, we’ve been sleeping on the Smartish Gripmunk. I’ve been super impressed with it. The closest comparison in my mind is with the Synthesis. It’s lighter, identical in size, more grippy, feels much better in hand, more comfortable on the pinky, buttons work better and it’s easier to remove. My only gripe is that it doesn’t come in better colors. The synthesis action button is awful. I’m leaning towards sending it back.
I used a micro file on my synthesis action button to expand the cut out just a tiny bit. Made a world of difference.

Reactions: Zensō

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
Maybe I got a bad one; the fit was terrible on my GripMunk. Uneven front screen protection that didn't extend above the screen in some spots. Granted, I'm using a tempered glass screen protector. But the Synthesis I'm rocking right now has a perfectly even lip all the way around.

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Maybe I got a bad one; the fit was terrible on my GripMunk. Uneven front screen protection that didn't extend above the screen in some spots. Granted, I'm using a tempered glass screen protector. But the Synthesis I'm rocking right now has a perfectly even lip all the way around.

I agree, on paper the gripmunk was a slam dunk but in person the fit and feel of the Gripzilla was miles better in my opinion.

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
CarbonThat with Nat Tit Max. iPad photos :(

Nicest feeling case I have ever had, smaller than my FW and 11 grams lighter, grippy, not smudging.
Soft on the pinky
Really good magsfe.
Does show a slight magsafe ring embedded in the back at certain angles, no white mark though from charging.
Has a 1mm lip with GSP on.
Good buttons lol

View attachment 2311960

View attachment 2311961
View attachment 2311962
Well this turned out to be a dud, top right corner of the case doesn't clip onto the phone properly and comes off easily.
Returning, back to my Free Apple black FW.
Don't think I can be bothered playing the case game this year, have had most brand name cases last few years and not seeing anything new.
At least the FW is different lol

Cerneka

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Dude I have to backtrack on my statement about not being able to recommend Andar Aspen because of the wait time. God damn was this thing worth the wait. The leather feels way better to me than last year (last year I had jet black so maybe that makes a difference) but I’m shocked more people aren’t talking about this case, especially since Apple Leather is gone. These are honestly better. But maybe no one is talking about them because it’s hard to get them lol. Buttons SUPER CLICKY, fit is superb, and the comfort in hand is amazing. I’m considering making this my daily driver but it’s so damn good looking I don’t want to scuff it lol. Also they stepped their game up on packaging big time as well. Super nice presentation. Couple pics below.

Edit: after posting I looked at my pics and the pictures don’t even do it justice. You’ll have to see for yourself. And I’m not usually fond of anything that has a different color than black around the front of my screen.

Is this the camel tan?

Tills13

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2023
Well this turned out to be a dud, top right corner of the case doesn't clip onto the phone properly and comes off easily.
Returning, back to my Free Apple black FW.
Don't think I can be bothered playing the case game this year, have had most brand name cases last few years and not seeing anything new.
At least the FW is different lol
I decided to put on my girly Defender XT tonight after seeing Hooterville’s post earlier. The lighting is terrible but I still love this case. It always feels like the haptics are stronger with this case on. I can feel them more. Maybe it’s just me. Lol View attachment 2312472 View attachment 2312473 View attachment 2312471
I heard someone say they went to put a lanyard on it and the corners slipped off

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Looking for mid medium protection. Looking at Mous. Anyone chime with in if Mous offers mid medium protection. Thanks!

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Looking for mid medium protection. Looking at Mous. Anyone chime with in if Mous offers mid medium protection. Thanks!
If you believe their marketing videos, Mous offers much more than mid-grade drop protection. EAP and Mobile Reviews Eh seem to back that up. I’ve dropped my phone in Mous Limitless cases quite a few times with no damage, but those were just normal waist high drops, no F1 cars, hot air balloons or axes were involved.

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
At this point I’ve pretty much moved out of my Caudabe cases full time.. was loving the Gray cases when I got them, but the weight became apparent over time, and so did the bad buttons :confused:
Not gonna lie.. this morning I decided to switch back to Synthesis after not using it for a couple days and now I’m really considering returning it bc of the action button. Probably keep the Sheath as it’s grippy enough for me and the button is a little better.

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2022
At this point I’ve pretty much moved out of my Caudabe cases full time.. was loving the Gray cases when I got them, but the weight became apparent over time, and so did the bad buttons :confused:

Same. I've been a Caudabe user for years (Sheath every year since I can remember), but the weight drop for the 15 Pro is so nice that adding a heavy case like the Synthesis or Sheath ruins that. Also getting pretty fed up with the rough/sandpaper-like feel. It's a shame as I like the look of them. Wish they'd be a little more adventurous with their colours though again.

I've switched to Apple silicone which is lighter and nicer to hold, can't see my switching back to Caudabe unless they release a colour which makes me want to put up with the weight/feel.

Reactions: MM301 and Djones96

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I hear lot of people saying the Synthesis adds a lot of weight to the 15 Pro. I don’t find it heavy at all.

Reactions: Zensō
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.