Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Fit is exceptional, grip is good, not great. Still a little squared off on the back edges, but the bottom of the case is comfy. My MagSafe wallet stays more secure on this than on the Phone Rebel...I think because of the coating on the Pitaka, because the magnets themselves are not as strong as those on the PR.

The buttons are phenomenal. Probably my favorite of any case I've tried this year. I know some here don't like that it seems to be metal on metal with the buttons, but that doesn't really bother me. I have a feeling this and the PR will be my two main cases.
I like my Pitaka Pro a lot and agree with all of the above. My only minor niggle is the area above the USB port which is a little flimsy and if you look from below the port you can see light sneaking under the lip. There really shouldn’t be an air gap there. Not a deal breaker but a little disappointing for a $70 case.

Reactions: Mr.C and AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I like my Pitaka Pro a lot and agree with all of the above. My only minor niggle is the area above the USB port which is a little flimsy and if you look from below the port you can see light sneaking under the lip. There really shouldn’t be an air gap there. Not a deal breaker but a little disappointing for a $70 case.
I remember you mentioned that earlier in this thread. I just looked at mine and I don't see any light sneaking through. I tried shining the flashlight from my work phone through and didn't notice any light leaking. It is possible that my screen protector bridged that "gap" though (I have the flolab). I do agree that the top part above the USB-C port could be firmer although there is no sag.

Reactions: Mr.C and Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I remember you mentioned that earlier in this thread. I just looked at mine and I don't see any light sneaking through. I tried shining the flashlight from my work phone through and didn't notice any light leaking. It is possible that my screen protector bridged that "gap" though (I have the flolab). I do agree that the top part above the USB-C port could be firmer although there is no sag.
It could be the screen protector or just normal variance in production runs, it’s hard to say. This is my second one, the first one was the same. Not a big deal but it would be nice if the area was reinforced with a bit of extra material ala Caudabe.

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
It could be the screen protector or just normal variance in production runs, it’s hard to say. This is my second one, the first one was the same. Not a big deal but it would be nice if the area was reinforced with a bit of extra material ala Caudabe.
Do you and AnthroMatt notice a big difference between the bulk of the Caudabe and the Pitaka Pro case? This 15 Sheath is quite a bit more robust than the version on my 12PM and I'm becoming accustomed to it but wouldn't mind something more svelte as an alternative. The bevels on the edges of the Pikata along with the thinner material make it appear to have less depth from the side. Do you notice a big difference when you switch them out? How about the texture? More than a few have complained about the roughness of the surface on the Sheath.

Reactions: Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Do you and AnthroMatt notice a big difference between the bulk of the Caudabe and the Pitaka Pro case? This 15 Sheath is quite a bit more robust than the version on my 12PM and I'm becoming accustomed to it but wouldn't mind something more svelte as an alternative. The bevels on the edges of the Pikata along with the thinner material make it appear to have less depth from the side. Do you notice a big difference when you switch them out? How about the texture? More than a few have complained about the roughness of the surface on the Sheath.
All of this stuff is so subjective, but yes, to me the Pitaka feels slightly slimmer and lighter (it is actually a little lighter). More so than the difference in size though, I notice the difference in texture. The Pitaka is smooth and the surface feels almost soft to the touch. Because of that it’s more comfortable, but less grippy, than the Sheath. It’s really nice for around the house or office, but the Sheath might be preferable for things like hiking or biking where you’re outside taking lots of photos and need better grip. Again, this is all very subjective, so please take it with a good dose of salt.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Okay, had a quick stop at the old Apple Store today to look at the Lumen case. It’s a shame that it’s not a bit better quality because otherwise the size and weight are incredible. I set it next to my Apple Silicone case they were identical! But the sides are loose and the MagSafe sticker on the inside looks very thin.

However, I picked up the FineWoven in Evergreen and it felt like a completely different case than my early order one back in September. The back was still scratched up but the sides felt so much better than I remembered. I still don’t think it’s worth $60 but I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for a sale.

Reactions: Danorak81

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
All of this stuff is so subjective, but yes, to me the Pitaka feels slightly slimmer and lighter (it is actually a little lighter). More so than the difference in size though, I notice the difference in texture. The Pitaka is smooth and the surface feels almost soft to the touch. Because of that it’s more comfortable, but less grippy, than the Sheath. It’s really nice for around the house or office, but the Sheath might be preferable for things like hiking or biking where you’re outside taking lots of photos and need better grip. Again, this is all very subjective, so please take it with a good dose of salt.
Well said. I agree with this and really can’t add anything else 🤣

Reactions: Zensō

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
Anyone have any feedback on the nomad leather options? Is the horween worth the extra money? They’re running a 30% off sale site-wide for Black Friday. Thought about picking up the Base One Max station, usually 150 down to 95 beans.

InsulinJunkie72

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2022
WI, USA
Anyone have any feedback on the nomad leather options? Is the horween worth the extra money? They’re running a 30% off sale site-wide for Black Friday.
I got the Modern (non-Horween) versions in this week from Verizon. They're still OOS for the 15PM on Nomad's site - hence, Verizon - or the sale would have stung a bit. Did pick up a Rustic Brown Horween I'd been also considering, though - so thanks (?)* for the heads-up on the sale.

Had the Rugged Case for my 12, which was Horween leather back then, and I'd say it might have felt a little softer than the Ecco Leather. The TPU sides on the Nomads are a plus to me, rather than a downside, since I like the extra drop protection. So far, so good but I'm only a few days in.

* while my wallet says "You Jerk"

• Haha
Reactions: Joe123Joe

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
I got the Modern (non-Horween) versions in this week from Verizon. They're still OOS for the 15PM on Nomad's site - hence, Verizon - or the sale would have stung a bit. Did pick up a Rustic Brown Horween I'd been also considering, though - so thanks (?)* for the heads-up on the sale.

Had the Rugged Case for my 12, which was Horween leather back then, and I'd say it might have felt a little softer than the Ecco Leather. The TPU sides on the Nomads are a plus to me, rather than a downside, since I like the extra drop protection. So far, so good but I'm only a few days in.

* while my wallet says "You Jerk"
Tell your wallet I said love you too…

But lucky for me I have the Pro size and everything is in stock for that. Apparently no one but me wants the 6.1 pro lol… better for me 😝

Do you have any pictures of the black version you can share? I got a camel tan Andar so I’d like a black nomad leather,( nomads buttons are to die for) but I can’t decide if I should go horween or horeless

• Haha
Reactions: InsulinJunkie72

InsulinJunkie72

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2022
WI, USA
Nomad Modern Leather in Black:
nomad1.JPG
nomad2.JPG
nomad3.JPG
nomad4.JPG

kadinh

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Anyone have any feedback on the nomad leather options? Is the horween worth the extra money? They’re running a 30% off sale site-wide for Black Friday. Thought about picking up the Base One Max station, usually 150 down to 95 beans.
FWIW my friend ordered the Nomad Horween and Bullstrap for his 15Pro, sent back the nomad, uses the Bullstrap every day.

He said he didn’t like that the sides were TPU, but I could see how that would be a plus to others.

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
I have the Ghost case and love it. I am looking for similar clear case design that is more rugged, but not overly bloated in size. I am drawn to the Mous Clarity 2.0 Clear Case. The iridescent one is sick!

Can someone post feedback and/or side-by-side pics of the Clarity 2.0, Ghost and Apple silicone cases so I can get a better feel of size differences? Form factor is very important to me. Thanks.

Reactions: macher

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
So I got an update on the Phone Rebel accessories. They stated that the orange and silver camera rings will arrive 11/20.......

that's all I got LOL.
I know the buttons and camera rings are nice but man they need to change things to get them on launch.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Any suggestion for a lightweight clear case for 15 Pro Max? I want something that will not add too much bulk.

Also, any thoughts on going without a case.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Anyone have the Mous Limitless 5.0? Would like to know how the side grips are. For reference I have a Caudabe Synthesis and I find the side matrix grips grippy. I can actually hold on the grips and shake up and down holding on the grips and it won’t move. I was hoping that the Limitless 5.0 would provide the same grips.

Here’s a video for reference with the Synthesis . I’m not squeezing that hard.

Anyone want to chime in?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.