Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
If I was to bet the brown not sure if I should go with the Horween rustic brown or the regular.
I have my finger hovering over the payment button for their black Horween 😅 the regular black leather is sold out & I read that Horween is softer and patinas quicker (I know black won’t patina much)

Reactions: macher

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
Spigen Ultra Hybrid black Frosted vs Phone Rebel Gen 5 Frosted ................the race is on :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 78.jpg
    78.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
How was it taking the Gen 5 frosted off? Anything like the Synthesis? I’m also wary about the usb c cutout being too small..
It's actually harder to remove than the Synthesis o_O Yea, the USB-C opening is very small. I always charge via MagSafe so it doesn't bother me. I don't think any cables besides the official Apple one will fit through the opening.

• Sad
Reactions: off2marz

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
It's actually harder to remove than the Synthesis o_O Yea, the USB-C opening is very small. I always charge via MagSafe so it doesn't bother me. I don't think any cables besides the official Apple one will fit through the opening.
Aw man. I charge via MagSafe too, but in the car I need USB C to USB A for CarPlay. Bummer bc I love the look of both Aramid and Frosted Gen 5. Well, that’s another crossed off my list.. probably a good thing (for my wallet) :rolleyes:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
If anybody is like me and likes clear cases that weigh less, here’s what I’ve got so far for the 15 Pro Max:

Dbrand Ghost is 33g.
Totallee Clear case with MagSafe is 34g.
Apple Clear case is 36g.
Benks Clear case is 36g.
Otterbox Lumen is 37.5g.
Spigen Ultra Hybrid MagFit is 41g.

Can’t find the weight for Torras or ESR clear cases. Speck cases usually are heavier. Phone Rebel and Mous are also heavier. Not sure if I’m missing any other popular case brands.

On another note I’ve found that for me 36-37g seems to be my limit. The Ghost case at 33g felt great. I’m currently using a FineWoven case which I think is 29g or 30g but it’s not as grippy as I would like. Think at this point I may just wait until Dbrand re-releases the Ghost case in April.

Maz39

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2021
Super random, but how do you like the Otterbox case for your Apple Watch? I was considering it but I have a screen protector on right now and the Spigen cases push up against it and make it bubble up.
I like the Otterbox case for my Apple Watch, but it you want a sleek look, take a look at this. It’s even cheaper, and doesn’t have otterbox written on it.

Reactions: jkel777

Maz39

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2021
Nice! Hopefully they’ll get English tan in soon. I like the fact that it’s rated at 8 ft drop protection too.

Wonder how the brown would look with natty?
I have seen videos of the natural with both the tan brown and rustic brown, and honestly they both look wonderful.

Hooterville

Suspended
Sep 24, 2012
Rebel looks better for sure. How does the frosted look with the ultra orange combo? Can you see that up for me?

I did not care for the ultra orange or matte silver on the frosted.
The matte black looked best on the frosted.

Here are a couple of pictures (they are not mine).

Attachments

• 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 78

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
I like Nomad Leather cases because it has soft TPU on the sides that can absolutely take a hit, and it has leather on the back as well as microfiber on the inside.

I had a Nomad Horween leather case some years ago (iPhone X) and liked it, but there were several things I didn't care for. One was the case is thicker on the bottom than the other sides. I had to buy an extension cable because I couldn't plug one of my accessories in. I think they do this to support places to attach a useless (to me) wrist strap. Oh, and I think the speaker cutouts weren't asymmetrical as they should be. I was considering a Nomad case for my 15PM, but I'm picky about cases and opted for something else since I don't believe Nomad has changed those issues.

Reactions: macher

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
Manage to snag the Evergreen FW for $35 and that’s a price I’m comfortable paying for it. The fit, dimensions, and buttons are perfect (I forgot how thin the sides are!!). I still don’t care much for how the material on the back looks and how the edges feel but I’m hopeful the edges will develop a better feel over time. The ones on display in the Apple Store felt really nice.
Those of you who have owned one for a while, does it get more grippy over time?! Coming from my Apple Silicone the FW feels like a bar of soap!

Also, I think this color is the best of the bunch (but I really wish they had it in the Clay).

I've only had my black FW for 2-3 weeks, but I think it's not as slippery as it initially was. I think all the Apple cases I've had took a little while to feel a bit grippier. On the other hand, I admit maybe I'm just getting used to it? I don't think it's too slippery, just not as grippy as my leather cases were.

Reactions: VSMacOne

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I had a Nomad Horween leather case some years ago (iPhone X) and liked it, but there were several things I didn't care for. One was the case is thicker on the bottom than the other sides. I had to buy an extension cable because I couldn't plug one of my accessories in. I think they do this to support places to attach a useless (to me) wrist strap. Oh, and I think the speaker cutouts weren't asymmetrical as they should be. I was considering a Nomad case for my 15PM, but I'm picky about cases and opted for something else since I don't believe Nomad has changed those issues.

I like the concept of the Nomad leather though. It’s a hybrid leather case that offers drop protection.

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
2 things with nomad leather cases, only a small lip and bottom has always been hard on the pinky.

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
Those with a Nomad leather case: I know the screen lip is minimal.. with a screen protector, is there enough lip to lay the phone screen face down on a flat surface? Or is it totally flush where the glass will touch the surface?

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
Those with a Nomad leather case: I know the screen lip is minimal.. with a screen protector, is there enough lip to lay the phone screen face down on a flat surface? Or is it totally flush where the glass will touch the surface?
yes only just, they show the magsafe ring too if that's a concern

Reactions: off2marz

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
yes only just, they show the magsafe ring too if that's a concern
Thanks. Yeah that’s one reason I’m getting black, so that MagSafe ring won’t show as much. I refuse to use my Dune Bullstrap on MagSafe because I don’t want the ring on this beautiful case 😅. I feel like a black Nomad I could be a little more carefree about it.

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
Thanks. Yeah that’s one reason I’m getting black, so that MagSafe ring won’t show as much. I refuse to use my Dune Bullstrap on MagSafe because I don’t want the ring on this beautiful case 😅. I feel like a black Nomad I could be a little more carefree about it.
You getting the modern or the horween? Maybe modern won't show as much, Amazon only have the modern here, 20% off AU. The black looks good with the Nat tit on their website if you have it.

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
You getting the modern or the horween? Maybe modern won't show as much, Amazon only have the modern here, 20% off AU. The black looks good with the Nat tit on their website if you have it.
Unfortunately the black modern is sold out for 15 Pro rn, so I’ll get the Horween (with Cyber Monday Sale). Amazon doesn’t have Nomad 15 cases in US, I wish!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.