Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

cannono

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2014
Two clear cases arrived, thoughts:

This one is good, has the soft TPU frame and hard back. This is superior to the fully hard plastic clear cases like Apple’s and snap-on style cases since those hard frames leave imprints in the metal antenna over time.

The magnet is average, about similar to Apple’s. I always found the brand ESR’s magnets too strong, so this one is fine to me.

Not too thick, not slim.

This one is better. Same materials overall, but slimmer and slightly stronger magnet. I’m keeping this one. Will compare to Spigen when that arrives.

Reactions: dmccombs

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I love the Apple Silicone out of the three. It has an excellent feel and grip. However, It's definitely the least protective, and it is rather fragile. Because protection is very important to you, I'd go Caudabe.
Thanks for the reply. I use the phone naked most of the time, but I want a case with moderate protection for when I am doing something where there is a higher risk of dropping or scrapping my phone. I don't need a high level of protection, but moderate would be nice. :)

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
I’m ready to go for Friday, just waiting on Caudabe!

d5f1a0cf05459e26b1504913a429d4d2.jpg

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA
It would be easier choosing a case if stores would have these on display where you could feel them and try them on your device to see what works for you. Every time I get a new phone I end up having to buy a few just to try them out....

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I never thought I'd struggle this much just picking a case. It was much easier last year since I got the Space Black iPhone 😅
Yea I am just ordering a bunch and figuring it out later. The problem is most of what I ordered hasn't shipped yet so I had to quick order a silicone case from Apple just so I had something on Friday. Ill probably return the silicone eventually but well see.

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Yea I am just ordering a bunch and figuring it out later. The problem is most of what I ordered hasn't shipped yet so I had to quick order a silicone case from Apple just so I had something on Friday. Ill probably return the silicone eventually but well see.
Makes sense. I originally ordered a Spigen Ultra Hybrid because I wanted to see the color of my phone, and I still do, but I need a magsafe option. I know spigen offers their ultra hybrid with magsafe, but I am not a fan of visible magsafe rings on cases, so now I'm looking into cases that would match well with the white iPhone.:rolleyes:

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
For those that have owned at least 2 of the cases below... I have narrowed my choices to these 3 case. Can you comment as to which provides the best protection, and which has the best feel (least slippery)?

- Caudabe Sheath
- Apple Silicone
- Spigen Ultra Hybrid Magfit
Caudabe Sheath - Used this case for many years for three iPhone iterations. Loved the case. It was slim, protective, light, yet grippy. One of the best cases I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning.

Apple Silicone - I owned one and returned it within 14 days. It gets absolutely disgusting. Fingerprints, sweat, hand oils and dust/lint. Not sure if Apple changed the material, but it was bad. Even worse if you have sweaty palms. Not protective. It’s more for gripe/scratch prevention.

Spigen - It’s a good neutral case.

Reactions: dmccombs

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
View attachment 2270944 View attachment 2270945 View attachment 2270946 View attachment 2270947 When it comes to iPhones and cases, I’m pretty boring. I just get black iPhones with black leather cases. I’ve used the Apple leather cases since they first came out (iPhone 5 I think) so I was pretty disappointed about them not making one.

Before anyone had them, I had ordered a black Apple finewoven case hoping that it would be a somewhat good replacement for the leather case. In black, it looks decent but the case feels like cheap plastic and I feel like the finewoven is going to show stains quickly. I plan on returning it.

After doing research, I decided to try Andar and ordered their black leather Aspen case before realizing that there isn’t a button for the action button. I just got it today and it is really nice. Above are some pictures of comparing to fiberwoven case and the iPhone 14 pro leather case. The Andar case appears to be about the same height as the finewoven for the part that goes around the body but the camera bump part looks like it might be slightly bigger. I don’t know how easy it will be to push the action button with the hole. Also, the power and volume buttons on the Andar are noticeably smaller than the ones on the fiberwoven and the iPhone 14 pro apple leather case. Otherwise, the Andar case is really nice. Much nicer than the apple leather cases the last couple years. If it fits well and the action button isn’t too hard to press, I will probably hold onto the Andar case until they put out a button version.
Just got my Andar leather in Camel Tan - same skepticism and (for me) disappointment about the action button hole versus covered. I'll try as well as I don't know how hard it'll be to press through the hole. One nice detail not visible in the shadows is that there is real soft/napped leather touching the volume and power button surfaces on the inside.

Other than that, the leather is fantastic. Way better leather than what Apple used, and it even smells of leather. Also, it was a perfect color match to my Ridge wallet, which was one of my goals. But to keep or return - guess we'll both have better perspective after Friday.

IMG_7793.jpeg
IMG_7794.jpeg
IMG_7795.jpeg
IMG_7796.jpeg

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
@StaceyMJ86 I know you got the Synthesis this year, how do you like it? I am in between the Synthesis in black, and the Sheath in celestial blue for the white 15 PM. Suggestions?

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Understood, I recently took a trip down there Arizona to the headquarters and I told them there that this was going to be a problem and needs to be changed. They stated that they are aware and want to see how the case does as is once we get the iPhone 15's in hand. I told them ok but this will be a pain point for a lot of people. I understand a lot of people are buying the case anyways just to support me and what I do but I know others care about the case more so I can understand both sides. I can say that it's been brought up to them multiples times now and change is coming. What's going to suck is the people who decide to move on to another leather case because of the cutout and lose a customer. I hate it because Bullstrap and Bellboy has cutouts too and during my video of all of them, I will be very vocal about it, collaboration aside, Andar and the others needs to change this.
I was gonna get Bellroy leather case this year but the cut out is a deal breaker for me. I even sent an email asking them about it and they basically said it’s a feature. I think they’re lazy and just want to modify existing molds rather than make new ones for the new phones.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Just received the Nomad case. MagSafe seems a little weaker than the Apple leather case from the 14 Pro, but should be fine. I kinda like the leather back + rubber edge combo, and the buttons feel nice (metal iirc), including the textured sleep/wake/Siri button. Looks and feels premium. Excited to put it on my 15 Pro!

IMG_9520.jpeg
IMG_9517.jpeg
IMG_9519.jpeg
IMG_9518.jpeg

Last edited:

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Just got my Andar leather in Camel Tan - same skepticism and (for me) disappointment about the action button hole versus covered. I'll try as well as I don't know how hard it'll be to press through the hole. One nice detail not visible in the shadows is that there is real soft/napped leather touching the volume and power button surfaces on the inside.

Other than that, the leather is fantastic. Way better leather than what Apple used, and it even smells of leather. Also, it was a perfect color match to my Ridge wallet, which was one of my goals. But to keep or return - guess we'll both have better perspective after Friday.

View attachment 2271083 View attachment 2271084 View attachment 2271086 View attachment 2271087
I'd wait and see if Andar is going to take any action to the feedback they are recieving about leaving it open. They might very well pull a Caudabe (and others) and add a physical button and send a complementary revision out to the customers who purchased early. I think they are getting the point they screwed up its just a matter of are they going to do anything. Worst case you can always return this case later.

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
I'd wait and see if Andar is going to take any action to the feedback they are recieving about leaving it open. They might very well pull a Caudabe (and others) and add a physical button and send a complementary revision out to the customers who purchased early. I think they are getting the point they screwed up its just a matter of are they going to do anything. Worst case you can always return this case later.
Thanks - You inspired me to write an e-mail to Andar and even cite Caudabe’s remedy. 👊🏽

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Thanks - You inspired me to write an e-mail to Andar and even cite Caudabe’s remedy. 👊🏽
Trust me I think they have heard a lot so far and the phone hasn't even released. But it wouldn't hurt to reach out and continue to bring it to their attention. Maybe its not a huge deal to some, but its a shame on them for taking a half @ss approach. This should have been the year all these leather case companies do all they can to win over all that lost business from Apple not offering leather anymore.

Reactions: julit0

orangecrushv

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Dallas
According to chat GPT, here is the list from this thread:

• Spigen: 29 mentions
  • Apple: 25 mentions
  • Otterbox: 22 mentions
  • Mous: 18 mentions
  • ESR: 16 mentions
  • Caudabe: 15 mentions
  • Pitaka: 14 mentions
  • UAG: 13 mentions
  • Speck: 12 mentions
  • Totallee: 11 mentions
How do you guys like the Arc Pulse case? Not sure if I can call it a case, it's more of a bikini situation, but has anyone used it in the past?
There was one guy in the other thread that used it and recommended the Arc “case”.

just1

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011
France

View attachment 2271083 View attachment 2271084 View attachment 2271086 View attachment 2271087
is this case slim an thin ?
is thiner as previous Apple leather case ?

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
is this case slim an thin ?
is thiner as previous Apple leather case ?
Andar is not thinner than the Apple case. I dont think anything will compare to the Apple leather in terms of fit. Quality of leather is a different story as its night and day difference.

Kurt871

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2004
Is there a consensus on the best open-bottom case similar to the old Apple leather cases? Trying to recreate my old 11 Pro Max Apple leather case as closely as possible for the 15 Pro Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.