Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
TechnicallyTee has a wonderful personality and could probably do a lot more than tech YouTube if given the opportunity. However, anytime there is “content strategy” and profit to be made, it perverts an unbiased opinion.
You say that as every one of my videos are sponsored lol. I’m using that term for an example. I’m still going to unbiased regardless if it’s paid or not but some of you fail to understand that and that’s cool, it’s not meant for everyone to understand. If people are going to think I’m biased then cool, if someone doesn’t care for me there are others that review cases, respectfully.

Orion025

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Ordered the Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro 4, and under a microscope it does look to have a coating over the metal buttons. Mine was defective with the TPU coating on the internal side of the power button chipped off exposing the metal underneath it. Sent back to Amazon for a replacement. Pitaka's response is also below confirming that there is a coating over the metal buttons inside.

Pro4 defect 1.jpg

Pitaka.png

Reactions: Zensō

Sal09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Ordered the Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro 4, and under a microscope it does look to have a coating over the metal buttons. Mine was defective with the TPU coating on the internal side of the power button chipped off exposing the metal underneath it. Sent back to Amazon for a replacement. Pitaka's response is also below confirming that there is a coating over the metal buttons inside.

View attachment 2271310

View attachment 2271311
But how long the coating will hold up? What if with passage of time and more usage it comes off 🙄

Orion025

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Good question. Since I haven't brought the defective unit back, I used the sharp pointed end of some tweezers to test the durability - light scratching doesn't do anything to it and it takes me actually trying to damage it to scratch it out. This is much more acute than pressing two flat surfaces against each other. It would be difficult to recreate the larger manufacturing defect it came with.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I enjoy your content, but to be fair, you are kind of shilling for Andar right now in the comments. Would you still be defending Andar if you didn’t have a sponsorship with them?
You guys can have it. No longer trying to explain myself to anyone. If you think I’m shilling or whatever you want to call it then so be it. I’ve never “shilled” for them and never will. Majority of you clearly don’t know me or my content. I literally say in there face and told them this needs to be changed and it’s going to be an issue. Andar didn’t pay me anything for this whole collaboration color. Also since I’m shilling so bad, just wait until I do my video on the case. You aren’t going to understand the concept that sponsorships doesn’t mean a thing when it comes to content and what I have to say.

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
You guys can have it. No longer trying to explain myself to anyone. If you think I’m shilling or whatever you want to call it then so be it. I’ve never “shilled” for them and never will. Majority of you clearly don’t know me or my content. I literally say in there face and told them this needs to be changed and it’s going to be an issue. Andar didn’t pay me anything for this whole collaboration color. Also since I’m shilling so bad, just wait until I do my video on the case. You aren’t going to understand the concept that sponsorships doesn’t mean a thing when it comes to content and what I have to say.
Ignore them- your explanation has been pretty clear, not sure why there’s still back and forth from others. I’ve been watching your videos for a while and think you’re one of the most genuine case reviewers out there!

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Ignore them- your explanation has been pretty clear, not sure why there’s still back and forth from others. I’ve been watching your videos for a while and think you’re one of the most genuine case reviewers out there!
I appreciate it. I guess it’s attack TechnicallyTee day but it just shows me how people really feel and you would think folks would root for me with what I’ve done but they rather bypass it and go right for the case and how it doesn’t have button. Some folks even bought the case just to support anyways even though they didn’t like that it didn’t have a button so I’m thankful for those and the ones that rock with me.

Cerneka

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
I think some are overreacting about the button cutout. I’ve spoke to Andar and there is a button update coming. There are tons of cases that have the cutout. It’s not some half done job, some companies go off the rumors and some don’t. If it’s a miss then it’s a miss, everyone be vocal about it and be and advocate about the change.

I think we all need to just relax until we get the phone in to see how much of an issue it really is. We all might be anal about it now but when you get the phone, it won’t be that bad. Only time will tell and we are almost to Friday. It’s for sure one of the first things I’ll be testing. I have a dummy unit but the button really isn’t accurate.

You don’t need to defend yourself and I’m not attacking you. But you asked and I’m just being honest. When people see comments like these, I just think it’s hard not to question whether you’d be more critical if you didn’t have a sponsorship with them.

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I appreciate it. I guess it’s attack TechnicallyTee day but it just shows me how people really feel and you would think folks would root for me with what I’ve done but they rather bypass it and go right for the case and how it doesn’t have button. Some folks even bought the case just to support anyways even though they didn’t like that it didn’t have a button so I’m thankful for those and the ones that rock with me.

I personally love your videos, keep them coming.

Reactions: DonnyXMX

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
You don’t need to defend yourself and I’m not attacking you. But you asked and I’m just being honest. When people see comments like these, I just think it’s hard not to question whether or not you’d be more critical if you didn’t have a sponsorship with them.
How critical can I be when I dont even have the phone? None of us have the phone but yet the cutout is so terrible and it doesn’t work. When I get the case on the phone and if it doesn’t work good then I will discuss it as such. Folks need to relax like these accessory companies owe them the world.

Orion025

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
The response you got was the exact same one I received first. Then when replying again she sent me the response I posted above. I returned my case today to Amazon.

Thanks for the detailed context. Good thing I ordered a bunch of cases to test out
  • Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro 4
  • FineWoven Taupe
  • Caudabe Sheath Black (used code ‘checkout’ for 15% off)
  • Bullstrap Dune (used first time buyer code REF2AZSHE4QU for 20% off)
  • Mous Limitless 5 Walnut
  • Andar Aspen Black
  • Benks ArmorPro

Reactions: Hooterville

Sal09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Thanks for the detailed context. Good thing I ordered a bunch of cases to test out
  • Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro 4
  • FineWoven Taupe
  • Caudabe Sheath Black (used code ‘checkout’ for 15% off)
  • Bullstrap Dune (used first time buyer code REF2AZSHE4QU for 20% off)
  • Mous Limitless 5 Walnut
  • Andar Aspen Black
  • Benks ArmorPro
Please post pics of Walnut case?

Reactions: Hooterville

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
Man, I love tees videos, but it’s becoming more apparent that he’s selling out to companies, and that thought is really off putting 😕
No he’s not. Still honest imo and building his channel. I would never team up with a company if you could not be 110% honest. If they don’t like what he is saying while being honest, believe me. They will pull sponsorship before you can blink.

Reactions: Zensō

Maz39

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2021

You say that as every one of my videos are sponsored lol. I’m using that term for an example. I’m still going to unbiased regardless if it’s paid or not but some of you fail to understand that and that’s cool, it’s not meant for everyone to understand. If people are going to think I’m biased then cool, if someone doesn’t care for me there are others that review cases, respectfully.
When you get paid by a company, it’s going to affect your view of the company, and product, in some way. If You don’t want to accept that, and think people are attacking you, well then keep on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.