Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
When you get paid by a company, it’s going to affect your view of the company, and product, in some way. If You don’t want to accept that, and think people are attacking you, well then keep on.
All of this talk about ONE company and somehow it seems like it’s dishonest on my entire channel. Seems like there is something more there that’s the issue.

dmize31287

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
From someone ordering a 15 pro max and I’ve used leather. Which case would you all recommend? I have the fine woven which I’m about to return but I’m torn between the Mous and Pitanka and Apple silicon. I do enjoy MagSafe charging, but don’t use accessories.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I appreciate it. I guess it’s attack TechnicallyTee day but it just shows me how people really feel and you would think folks would root for me with what I’ve done but they rather bypass it and go right for the case and how it doesn’t have button. Some folks even bought the case just to support anyways even though they didn’t like that it didn’t have a button so I’m thankful for those and the ones that rock with me.
Mine should be delivered tomorrow!

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Thanks for the detailed context. Good thing I ordered a bunch of cases to test out
  • Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro 4
  • FineWoven Taupe
  • Caudabe Sheath Black (used code ‘checkout’ for 15% off)
  • Bullstrap Dune (used first time buyer code REF2AZSHE4QU for 20% off)
  • Mous Limitless 5 Walnut
  • Andar Aspen Black
  • Benks ArmorPro
I was tempted by the Dune Bullstrap but I have seen about half that patina well and the other half I wasn’t a fan of. I wound up playing it safe with classic Sienna and Black. Great case either way…my favorite leather one by far.

Maz39

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2021
All of this talk about ONE company and somehow it seems like it’s dishonest on my entire channel. Seems like there is something more there that’s the issue.
When you get paid by ANY company, it affects your view. What is the issue is that you’re being hostile towards people that are simply pointing out their observations. money does influence people’s opinions, and it seems like you don’t want to accept that basic fact.

yustas

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
I understand why some might feel a certain way about a sponsored content. Personally, I enjoy your channel and think that you're honest. I hope your channel will grow more and thank you for making useful content, I know it isn't easy.

Orion025

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
I was tempted by the Dune Bullstrap but I have seen about half that patina well and the other half I wasn’t a fan of. I wound up playing it safe with classic Sienna and Black. Great case either way…my favorite leather one by far.
Totally with you on the chance of getting some good patina. It was between Dune and Ocean for me but I've seen many Oceans turn black over time. If it doesn't turn out well, I'll invoke the "two cosmetic replacements per year" warranty and exchange it for a Sienna.

Crossing my fingers it turns out something close to this, it just goes with the Natural Ti so well.
1Y0A0369copy.jpeg

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
When you get paid by ANY company, it affects your view. What is the issue is that you’re being hostile towards people that are simply pointing out their observations. money does influence people’s opinions, and it seems like you don’t want to accept that basic fact.

But that's how YouTube works. A channel grows to the point companies get interested in using it to promote their products. It's all very transparent, and it's on us as viewers to take that into account.

When I watch any review video with a content arrangement, I keep that in mind and tend to mainly go on the visuals, adding a pinch of salt to the actual advice (not that it's worthless, but it's certainly compromised). It's still a valuable video, and I can always cross-check what's being said with videos which aren't sponsored, for a more well-rounded perspective.

Reactions: Jaggrey

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Totally with you on the chance of getting some good patina. It was between Dune and Ocean for me but I've seen many Oceans turn black over time. If it doesn't turn out well, I'll invoke the "two cosmetic replacements per year" warranty and exchange it for a Sienna.

Crossing my fingers it turns out something close to this, it just goes with the Natural Ti so well.
View attachment 2271459
Yes that was one of the pictures I saw before and love the way that looks!

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Just received the Nomad case. MagSafe seems a little weaker than the Apple leather case from the 14 Pro, but should be fine. I kinda like the leather back + rubber edge combo, and the buttons feel nice (metal iirc), including the textured sleep/wake/Siri button. Looks and feels premium. Excited to put it on my 15 Pro!

View attachment 2271132
View attachment 2271135
View attachment 2271133
View attachment 2271134
That’s a sharp looking case! Do the metal buttons have protection on the inside to not damage the phone’s buttons? Also, could you share how the responsiveness of the buttons is when you get the case on the phone?

Reactions: chrisdazzo

chhhrrriiisss

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Connecticut
I ended up ordering a mous limitless 5 case for my phone. It’s going to be delivered Friday along with my phone. If I end up not liking it or something better comes along I’ve got 30 days to return it through Amazon. I can see myself spending the money and buying a bullstrap case very soon though too.

Maz39

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2021
But that's how YouTube works. A channel grows to the point companies get interested in using it to promote their products. It's all very transparent, and it's on us as viewers to take that into account.

When I watch any review video with a content arrangement, I keep that in mind and tend to mainly go on the visuals, adding a pinch of salt to the actual advice (not that it's worthless, but it's certainly compromised). It's still a valuable video, and I can always cross-check what's being said with videos which aren't sponsored, for a more well-rounded perspective.
I find it funny that you think YouTube is transparent. I have seen so many “reviews” that are paid ads that didn’t even have “promotion” or “sponsorship” or “ad” written anywhere.

Reactions: Cerneka

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
@StaceyMJ86 I know you got the Synthesis this year, how do you like it? I am in between the Synthesis in black, and the Sheath in celestial blue for the white 15 PM. Suggestions?
I like the Synthesis because of the grip on the sides of the case. I like the Sheath because it‘s a little thinner than the Synthesis. You can’t go wrong with either case. I will say that the few times I’ve dropped my phone while in a Caudabe case, the cases had very small nicks on the corner, except for my Lucid Clear, which is hard plastic, so one of the corners cracked a little.

Reactions: Djones96

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
For those that have owned at least 2 of the cases below... I have narrowed my choices to these 3 case. Can you comment as to which provides the best protection, and which has the best feel (least slippery)?

- Caudabe Sheath
- Apple Silicone
- Spigen Ultra Hybrid Magfit
Out of the 3 I pick Caudabe Sheath for protection and least slippery.

leviathan1

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Why is there no love for the Tech21 Evo Check (Smoky)? It’s been protecting my iPhone 12 Pro since day 1 and I’m planning on using it on the IPhone 15 Pro as well. I bought the Caudabe Synthesis for my 12 too, but after a week, went back to the Evo Check because I found it so much more comfortable to hold. Also, the 16 feet of drop protection is huge.

I guess I’m surprised how little it has been mentioned (if at all) on this thread.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Thanks for the reply. which of these have you owned?
All 3. I used the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Magfit for 3 days and returned it because I didn‘t like the MagSafe ring on the back. I’m giving it another chance on Friday. I hated the Apple Silicone case because it’s a lint magnet, slippery and hard to put inside and pull out of your pocket. Also after a few months of using the Apple Silicone case, it started to chip on the corners. The Caudabe Sheath is the main case I used for my 12PM and 14PM. I love it because it’s thin, grippy and protects my phone all at the same time.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

View attachment 2271459
I fingers cross the Bullstrap cases come in a little earlier than 10/31 - 11.

AlphaDeltaF1

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2023
Why is there no love for the Tech21 Evo Check (Smoky)? It’s been protecting my iPhone 12 Pro since day 1 and I’m planning on using it on the IPhone 15 Pro as well. I bought the Caudabe Synthesis for my 12 too, but after a week, went back to the Evo Check because I found it so much more comfortable to hold. Also, the 16 feet of drop protection is huge.

I guess I’m surprised how little it has been mentioned (if at all) on this thread.
Tech21 was my go to but they don’t seem as popular on YouTube/Reddit etc. maybe they don’t do affiliate marketing ? lol.

Reactions: Cerneka

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012

We found an old 6+ lying around for daughter to use until we get new 15s, and she will get one of our phones.

I forgot that 6+ had a tech21 case on it. I am not sure which model it is though. That thing protected the phone well! It had the plastic screen protector, and the buttons were a little tougher to use, but I am sure Tech21 has updated it in the last 8 years ha. I would be interested to see how they are now though.

vine-boating

macrumors 68010
Aug 10, 2017
I ended up ordering a mous limitless 5 case for my phone. It’s going to be delivered Friday along with my phone. If I end up not liking it or something better comes along I’ve got 30 days to return it through Amazon. I can see myself spending the money and buying a bullstrap case very soon though too.
Which limitless one?

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I find it funny that you think YouTube is transparent. I have seen so many “reviews” that are paid ads that didn’t even have “promotion” or “sponsorship” or “ad” written anywhere.
My understanding is the FTC has pretty strict rules against that type of thing and it’s can affect you as a content creator if it’s not disclosed so I’d be interested in what videos that you’ve seen that don’t disclose.

I can understand how somebody being sponsored by a company might make you think that they’re just “shilling” to get money but anybody who’s watched Tee’s videos should clearly know better than that. Tee has absolutely been critical of cases that he likes. In his videos he points out the positives and the negatives of every case and accessory that he reviews.

Maybe it’s the world we live in where we’re very skeptical whenever somebody’s getting paid to offer an opinion on a product but Tee has always kept it honest about his opinions in his reviews and his live streams. He rocked with Andar before the sponsorship if he didn’t then I could see that point.

Cerneka

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
I like the Synthesis because of the grip on the sides of the case. I like the Sheath because it‘s a little thinner than the Synthesis. You can’t go wrong with either case. I will say that the few times I’ve dropped my phone while in a Caudabe case, the cases had very small nicks on the corner, except for my Lucid Clear, which is hard plastic, so one of the corners cracked a little.
The corner of your phone or the case?

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
I ordered the Nomad leather case in English Tan. Should be here early next week. Will want to compare it to the Speck Presidio Grip before deciding on which one i'll keep.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
That’s a sharp looking case! Do the metal buttons have protection on the inside to not damage the phone’s buttons? Also, could you share how the responsiveness of the buttons is when you get the case on the phone?
Appears so! The buttons are definitely different on the outside and inside. Will let you know re: responsiveness.

tempImageYPl4ee.png

Reactions: TNThomas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.