Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
This is pretty good. The addition of drops from higher, say around head height, would’ve been nice, but it’s still useful information in my opinion.

TL;DR: almost any case will protect a phone in drops from 3 feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: alamperti

vine-boating

macrumors 68010
Aug 10, 2017
I am currently using the Andar Lagoon case but I am looking for another case to use when I am out and about, especially at the gym that will offer more protection and deal with my sweaty hands. I know leather and sweat does not go well and my Lagoon case is a light blue colour so that is even worse!

Is the Spigen Frosted Black any good? It looks slippery...

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I am currently using the Andar Lagoon case but I am looking for another case to use when I am out and about, especially at the gym that will offer more protection and deal with my sweaty hands. I know leather and sweat does not go well and my Lagoon case is a light blue colour so that is even worse!

Is the Spigen Frosted Black any good? It looks slippery...

Very slippery IMO. As bad as the ESR cases

The Otterbox Defender XT I'm using currently whilst on holiday in Mallorca is superb. Hands smothered in sun tan lotion all the time etc, no issues with grip at all

Exactly why I bought it as wasn't sure if my UAG or Nomad cases would be as good

Reactions: alamperti

vine-boating

macrumors 68010
Aug 10, 2017
Very slippery IMO. As bad as the ESR cases

The Otterbox Defender XT I'm using currently whilst on holiday in Mallorca is superb. Hands smothered in sun tan lotion all the time etc, no issues with grip at all

Exactly why I bought it as wasn't sure if my UAG or Nomad cases would be as good
Yeah but the Defender is really bulky isn't it? I have the 15 Pro Max so I don't want even more bulk...?

Reactions: danb1979

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Yeah but the Defender is really bulky isn't it? I have the 15 Pro Max so I don't want even more bulk...?

I don't think it's bulky at all... Then again I've shovel like hands

My Pixel Fold in it's Spigen Slim Armor Pro is bulky if you look at it that way

But the Otterbox Defender XT is no bigger than the similar Spigen or ESR case IMO. It just has the extra trim piece that slots over the front

Surfsalot

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2023
The spigen black frosted is good, smooth back but has some grip on sides and has got better, been using it for a few weeks and havn't looked like dropping it. Smaller than my symmetry and better magsafe.

Reactions: phrekaru

vine-boating

macrumors 68010
Aug 10, 2017
The spigen black frosted is good, smooth back but has some grip on sides and has got better, been using it for a few weeks and havn't looked like dropping it. Smaller than my symmetry and better magsafe.
Can you post a link please to the case you have because there are so many versions, I wan to make sure I buy the right one.
Are these cases high quality though? They are very cheap for an iPhone case, so I wonder if they fall apart/become loose after like a couple of months of usage...I have never bought a Spigen case before.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Can you post a link please to the case you have because there are so many versions, I wan to make sure I buy the right one.
Are these cases high quality though? They are very cheap for an iPhone case, so I wonder if they fall apart/become loose after like a couple of months of usage...I have never bought a Spigen case before.

This is the one I have via Amazon UK

As said it is quite slippery IMO but as someone said above, it may get tackier the longer you use it...

Issue for me is that I want grip from the off, that's why I bought the Otterbox case. Even with the clear magsafe back, the outer sides etc of the case are super grippy

More grippy than my UAG and Nomad cases are, but not by a huge amount... Noticeable though!

Spigen cases tend to be very well made though. I've used them for years now and never had any issues

The Slim Armor Pro case on my Pixel Fold is built like a tank, exactly what I wanted plus the spine protection 👌🏼

Reactions: vine-boating

vine-boating

macrumors 68010
Aug 10, 2017
This is the one I have via Amazon UK

As said it is quite slippery IMO but as someone said above, it may get tackier the longer you use it...

Issue for me is that I want grip from the off, that's why I bought the Otterbox case. Even with the clear magsafe back, the outer sides etc of the case are super grippy

More grippy than my UAG and Nomad cases are, but not by a huge amount... Noticeable though!

Spigen cases tend to be very well made though. I've used them for years now and never had any issues

The Slim Armor Pro case on my Pixel Fold is built like a tank, exactly what I wanted plus the spine protection 👌🏼
Can you please post a link to the Otterbox case. I am in the UK as well and might check it out. Does it have the same feel as the Otterbox Symmetry? I had the Symmetry and I didn't like the feel at all, I found it slippery and 'hard' feeling to I returned it the next day.

I prefer cases with a softer feel which is why the Andar Lagoon case has been a good fit for me but I need another case to use when I am out and about in places like the gym where I will be touching my phone with sweaty hands etc...

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Bye Bye, Otterbox Defender XT - Hello Gripzilla :oops:

Went looking for my Gripzilla and could not find it, must have sold it or gave it away a while ago.
Ordered a fresh one from Amazon and all I can say is the magnets are off the CHARTS !
Put this magnetic Popsocket on the back and I literally could not pull this damn thing off. I'll report back later tonight after I try it on my Magsafe charger and see how it does. I do not recall the first one having magnets this strong.
Here are a couple pics:

Attachments

• zilla01.jpg
    zilla01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • zilla02.jpg
    zilla02.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 42
  • zilla03.jpg
    zilla03.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 42
  • zilla04.jpg
    zilla04.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • zilla05.jpg
    zilla05.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • zilla06.jpg
    zilla06.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • zilla07.jpg
    zilla07.jpg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 43
  • zilla08.jpg
    zilla08.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Can you please post a link to the Otterbox case. I am in the UK as well and might check it out. Does it have the same feel as the Otterbox Symmetry? I had the Symmetry and I didn't like the feel at all, I found it slippery and 'hard' feeling to I returned it the next day.

I prefer cases with a softer feel which is why the Andar Lagoon case has been a good fit for me but I need another case to use when I am out and about in places like the gym where I will be touching my phone with sweaty hands etc...

See previous page, post 15880

Post in thread 'Which Case Did You Get or Recommend For Your New iPhone 15/Plus/Pro/Pro Max?'
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...one-15-plus-pro-pro-max.2400406/post-33273920

And further down the page I've put some picture up of the case 👍🏼

vine-boating

macrumors 68010
Aug 10, 2017

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Thanks
Did you get it off Amazon?

I would get the clear but I am worried it will yellow/scratch?

Yes via Amazon. c£20 for the one in just plain packaging

I've rough hands with all the chalk I use in training, I've dropped it a few times (albeit not onto hard floors) and it's been spugged away in my rucksack whilst we're away in Majorca with other items in there and there's not a mark to it...

I may keep it as my daily driver case for a while, but I've a UAG and Nomad case to use as well, so they'll get swapped around

All in the Otterbox case is very good and I'd highly recommend it

vine-boating

macrumors 68010
Aug 10, 2017
Yes via Amazon. c£20 for the one in just plain packaging

I've rough hands with all the chalk I use in training, I've dropped it a few times (albeit not onto hard floors) and it's been spugged away in my rucksack whilst we're away in Majorca with other items in there and there's not a mark to it...

I may keep it as my daily driver case for a while, but I've a UAG and Nomad case to use as well, so they'll get swapped around

All in the Otterbox case is very good and I'd highly recommend it
Is it easy to put on because I have read a lot of people saying it is hard to put the case on because it comes in two parts and you sort have to tuck the 'frame' part into the rubber case or something?

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Is it easy to put on because I have read a lot of people saying it is hard to put the case on because it comes in two parts and you sort have to tuck the 'frame' part into the rubber case or something?

Very simple. It simply slots in. Hard case on first and then slot the front piece in

Zero issues with the Spigen screen protector too which is good as previously Otterbox cases could be too tight at times and push the screen protector up

Reactions: vine-boating

vine-boating

macrumors 68010
Aug 10, 2017
Very simple. It simply slots in. Hard case on first and then slot the front piece in

Zero issues with the Spigen screen protector too which is good as previously Otterbox cases could be too tight at times and push the screen protector up
Thanks
I have just ordered it and it's coming tomorrow!
Hopefully I will like it as like I said, I need a gym case. Leather isn't the most protective from drops and sweat hence why I am buying this case.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Wow I see
Do you have a screen protector on your iPhone because when I tried to install it, it lifted up the screen protector on the phone...

Yes; as said above, the Spigen EZ Screen protector:

Zero issues with any of the cases I use; the Otterbox case didn't affect it at all; neither does my UAG or Nomad case

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.