Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
In what way? I know of the Ultra chip issue, bluetooth issue on M1 and of some programs/apps that remain unoptimised or even problematic. Is there something with the bigger picture? (I'm asking out of genuine curiosity)

I was more referring to their intended roadmap for ARM which was a 2-year transition planned pre-COVID. The supply chain chaos which still has an impact on Apple today has simply meant that they are behind, like many other companies.

Reactions: Bodie CI5

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Considering who the MacBook Air target, why would we even need a rev right now? Yes, I know the M1 is approaching 2 years already, but it still has a lot of headroom for what the target audience does on it: Web, Email, Word-processing, listening music, looking at their photos synced from their iPhone. Most of these tasks are being done in a web browser.

I know that for my M1 MBP I mostly use it for web browsing. These aren’t taxing activities. Apple I believe internally knows this.

Apple could redesign the MacBook Air but they wouldn’t even need to have a M2 rev to justify it. If Apple does release a new MacBook Air before fall, they could likely offer M1 Pro as an upgradable option and have the 8 core be the new entry level model. That in combination with a new design and macOS 13 would be solid upgrade - for the target audience.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Considering who the MacBook Air target, why would we even need a rev right now? Yes, I know the M1 is approaching 2 years already, but it still has a lot of headroom for what the target audience does on it: Web, Email, Word-processing, listening music, looking at their photos synced from their iPhone. Most of these tasks are being done in a web browser.

I know that for my M1 MBP I mostly use it for web browsing. These aren’t taxing activities. Apple I believe internally knows this.

Apple could redesign the MacBook Air but they wouldn’t even need to have a M2 rev to justify it. If Apple does release a new MacBook Air before fall, they could likely offer M1 Pro as an upgradable option and have the 8 core be the new entry level model. That in combination with a new design and macOS 13 would be solid upgrade - for the target audience.

Given the target market, it’s exactly why Apple is doing a highly cosmetic form factor update with minimal performance bump.

M1 Pro wouldn’t work in a passively cooled device with a small heat spreader, nor would it make sense for the target buyers.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Given the target market, it’s exactly why Apple is doing a highly cosmetic form factor update with minimal performance bump.

M1 Pro wouldn’t work in a passively cooled device with a small heat spreader, nor would it make sense for the target buyers.
An M1 Pro is whatever Apple wants it to be. The M1 Ultra is just two M1 Maxes fused together.

Sn0wLe0pard

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2022
Reason 1: Not out of stock
How about not "Available today" but "New MacBook Air available in August" for example. They can choose any date for the start of sales, or limit the number of countries to start. All these methods were used regularly. As well as with the macos itself, only beta will be presented, release in a few months.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
An M1 Pro is whatever Apple wants it to be. The M1 Ultra is just two M1 Maxes fused together.

M1 Pro is a 30W processor. Apple can’t wave their hands and stick it in a passively cooled MBA designed for 15W.

1654361432552.jpeg

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
How about not "Available today" but "New MacBook Air available in August" for example. They can choose any date for the start of sales, or limit the number of countries to start. All these methods were used regularly. As well as with the macos itself, only beta will be presented, release in a few months.

That would make zero business sense. Already explained above.

Reactions: tagy

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Considering I could easily get an M1 Air to throttle when I really pushed it, doing the same with a the hotter running M1-Pro means that I would rarely get the benefits of the M1-Pro in a MacBook Air because it would regularly throttle and run a lower performance levels. The M1-Pro's performance would simply be wasted in a MacBook Air

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008

I use mine to develop software. But keep spreading the myth that the M1 MBA is just for email. 😂

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
What if they keep the old Air in the line-up for a while, at a slightly lower price? Hence its imminent end-of-life doesn’t show up in terms of availability?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
M1 Pro is a 30W processor. Apple can’t wave their hands and stick it in a passively cooled MBA designed for 15W.

View attachment 2013391
Just as they can scale up a A15 SoC to make it an M1, they can scale down the M1 Pro to meet the thermal requirements to run in a MacBook device. Remember, this is not gonna be a wedged (manilla envelope) type Air anyway. Its gonna have a new chassis that will probably be as thick as the 2020 MBP M1 chassis.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Just as they can scale up a A15 SoC to make it an M1, they can scale down the M1 Pro to meet the thermal requirements to run in a MacBook device. Remember, this is not gonna be a wedged (manilla envelope) type Air anyway. Its gonna have a new chassis that will probably be as thick as the 2020 MBP M1 chassis.

You’re a bit confused about this whole “scale up/down” blanket-term thing.

And the next Air, while dropping the tapered designed, is said to be barely thicker than an usb-c port.

The Macbook Air will always have a non-Pro SoC and it will always ship with a tiny 30W charger.
Yes eventually, one day sometime later this decade, there will be an Air with a plain “M4” SoC that will be as powerful as a 2021 M1 Pro while sporting a “scaled down” power consumption.
But today is not that day.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I get what you are saying, but, COVID and supply chain chaos that still continues means the normal plans/cycles are all out of kilter. Apple had a lot of plans for the ARM transition which are not going that well vs what they originally intended. It is possible that they will use WWDC as an opportunity to announce/launch hardware this year. It would be very unusual given past WWDC events but we are still in unusual times.

We will find out soon enough. Maybe it will be more about what you can buy, but in the coming months rather than what will be available to buy from Monday.
Apple is likely eager to finish their Apple Silicon transition so I would expect some hardware news and at least an announcement of a Mac Pro on AS.

This is a list of some of the hardware that was released or announced at WWDC over the years.
  • Power Mac G5 (2003)
  • Aluminum Cinema displays (2004)
  • Mac Pro (2006)
  • iPhone 3G (2008)
  • iPhone 3GS (2009)
  • iPhone 4 (2010)
  • 15-inch MacBook Pro (2012)
  • Mac Pro (2013)
  • HomePod (2017)
  • iMac Pro (2017)
  • Mac Pro (2019)
  • Apple Silicon (2020)

Reactions: Howard2k

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Probably much thinner, more like the 2015 MacBook though not quite that shape.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Probably much thinner, more like the 2015 MacBook though not quite that shape.
Wonder how thin they'll go. The 2015 MB was 13.1 mm. The thinnest recent laptop I was able to find is the 9 mm thick 2020 Samsung Galaxy Chromebook:

1654407096176.png

When it comes to portability, the lighter the better; but I don't know what the point of diminishing returns is for laptop thinness. For the same weight, does a 9 mm thick laptop feel easier to carry around than a 13 mm thick laptop?

For comparison, the 12.9" iPad Pro is 6.4 mm. Would it be nice to have a laptop not much thicker than an iPad? In fact, since iPads are typically used with cases, an iPad might actually end up being thicker, even if you don't get a case with a keyboard.

Last edited:

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Plot twist: current MacBook Air becomes just MacBook, starting price $899.
Or the MacBook Air stays the MacBook Air, gets price reduced to $899, and the new 'MacBook' launches at ~$1299. I could see that too.

Edit: Just realized that your suggestion is more in line with what they did to the iPad lineup, so maybe that makes the most sense.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They could launch it a month later, like they did with the 24" iMac and iPad Pro. Annoucned in April. Released in May.

Agreed that is possible, but it would be after WWDC. Also, when the 24-inch iMac was announced, the 21.5-inch model had become a rotten banana that no one was buying anyway. The A12Z iPad Pro was also turning brown due to the A14 iPad Air. On the other hand, there is nothing pushing Apple to replace M1 MacBook Air.

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
I was more referring to their intended roadmap for ARM which was a 2-year transition planned pre-COVID. The supply chain chaos which still has an impact on Apple today has simply meant that they are behind, like many other companies.
Thanks for clarifying! Like I said, I wasn't sure if it was a bigger picture thing you were referring to. Much appreciated!

Reactions: LeeW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.