Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Well, it makes it more bearable at that price if it's 16GB but I'd still say it should be sub-$1k given most buyers of the MBA are students. Even with an educational discount it's above $1k.

Unfortunately, it only comes with 8GB RAM. The price of the M2 MBA is really insane indeed.

Guess that is what inflation does.

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
Alright. It did end up coming at WWDC. I was wrong :(
You're only human, after all. No biggie. It was a genuine attempt at analysis, and in years gone by, you would have been right. But, as usual, Apple changed the game. I'm happy you were "wrong" - glad to see a new M2 MBA, and I bet you are, too! :)

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
WHAT? It's £1249 in the UK. F*** THAT
Just have to save up more. Prices aren't going to go down anytime soon, sadly. Otherwise the refurb market awaits. You can also buy a cheap crappy Windows notebook with Pentium or Celeron processor with 1/100th the power of an M2.

Inflation sucks. Damn our useless money-wasting and money-printing politicians!

Drosera

macrumors regular
May 9, 2020
Just have to save up more. Prices aren't going to go down anytime soon, sadly. Otherwise the refurb market awaits. You can also buy a cheap crappy Windows notebook with Pentium or Celeron processor with 1/100th the power of an M2.

I was happy to go with an M1 refurb. Now decision is made for me. 25% increase is an eye-watering no-no.

Reactions: iAppleOrchard

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020

And the pandemic makes the situation even worse. It is still hard to buy chips nowadays.

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
at least you are a grown person that admits it...trust me, there are fewer and fewer in the world like you
So, no need to be sad, since its a good day for us the users that we had to see the M2 and the macbook air
At least now we know how it will scale into the M2 pro/max/ultra....the gpu increase is insane

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
M1 MBAs seem to be the only Apple laptops in any kind of general availability. With this price increase I can see them selling out pretty fast.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think what some of us didn't predict was the the M1 MBA effectively received a price increase. It's 18 months old and stays at $999.

With the stock situation, looks like Apple is expecting many buyers to continue to buy M1 and continues to stuff the channel with it.

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
I think what some of us didn't predict was the the M1 MBA effectively received a price increase. It's 18 months old and stays at $999.

With the stock situation, looks like Apple is expecting many buyers to continue to buy M1 and continues to stuff the channel with it.
Given the HUGE inflation in the US, like 10% or in reality, much much more, a LOT of people predicted price increases, and expected them. Apple has been really kind to not raise prices HIGHER, which it could easily have done.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Given the HUGE inflation in the US, like 10% or in reality, much much more, a LOT of people predicted price increases, and expected them. Apple has been really kind to not raise prices HIGHER, which it could easily have done.

Some of it just seems opportunistic. For example, M2 MBP stays at $1,299 even though it gets M2 and a better power adapter. Meanwhile, M2 MBA gets a $200 bump. I'm not complaining about it, just an observation.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I think anyone objectively thinking about it would have realized a while ago there won't be a MacBook Air at WWDC.

The stock is a very reliable indicator. I previously predicted changes to the iMac 27-inch and MBP 16-inch just by looking at the shipping lead times. In all cases, I've been 100% accurate.

The launch of MBA would create a lot of noise - leaks from certification agencies like UL Demko and CCC regarding battery, EEC filings, 13.6-inch display resolution info in macOS, etc. None of this is happening.
Like I said, stock level meant nothing. You and Kuo were wrong.

Reactions: alexonline

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
Some of it just seems opportunistic. For example, M2 MBP stays at $1,299 even though it gets M2 and a better power adapter. Meanwhile, M2 MBA gets a $200 bump. I'm not complaining about it, just an observation.
Sure, agreed. My observation is that Apple could have charged a lot more, given the stonkingly high levels of inflation that are only going to go MUCH higher. Trumpflation has met Bidenflation and the little buggers are having babies, and its hitting global consumers in the hip pocket. One place in Montecito or something in the US has just under $10 a gallon of gas, and compared to Hong Kong that's still cheap.

Thanks to Apple for keeping prices much lower than I feared could be the case. It sucks prices had to rise but TrumpenBiden and BidenTrumbama and all of their ilk have effed up the currency big time.

Reactions: JPack

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
Regardless of inflation, these prices are crazy whichever way you look at it.

The base M1, now a two year old model remaining at $999, the same price as it was when it first went on sale in 2020.

The base M2, $1199 with only 8GB of ram and only $100 less than the MBP.

Even worse for us in the UK...£999 for the M1 when the exchange rate is similar to what it was two years ago. For the M2 it's £1250 ($1560!).

Apple won't care, but this is going to put off a lot of people.

Expect the base iPhone 14 Pro to be $1100-$1200+.

alexonline

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
Prices are not crazy when you take inflation into account. Also 2 year old M1 MBA still better than any crappy Intel laptop.

If it wasn’t for inflation, prices would be lower.

People will still stretch for a Mac because of genuinely lower TCO, better security etc

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Apple isn't going to 'eat' 8% inflation cost increases.
[ NOTE: a while back with rampant inflation in Turkey Apple halted all sales of product. After a short period turned sales back on with inflation adjusted prices. They were not about to eat those inflation costs increases either. A much bigger jump so a more explicit shift. But same thing with iPhone SE 3 It is about 6-8% higher than the iPhone SE 2. ]

Generally Apple is not using Apple Silicon to lower prices across the board for Macs. It was a cost increase anyway. toss in inflation and cost reductions are toast. Won't be surprising if there is a 4% or so tossed into the iPhone prices in the Fall ( meaning they'll slide the iPhone 13 back less also as the price gap probably stays constant. )

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020

I have been trying to avoid leaks and rumors a lot, but I keep accidentally seeing more than ever
M2 MacBook Air at WWDC!!!

Reason 1: Not out of stock​

Now one of the first reasons people said were, the M1 MacBook Air is out of stock.
I quickly went to Apple, and:
View attachment 2013077
View attachment 2013083
All the Apple Stores in Colorado has the base model.

Now what about the one with 8 core GPU? Could that be out of stock?
View attachment 2013078
View attachment 2013084
Only 1 Apple Store in Colorado (The 2nd farthest one from me) in Colorado had it.

So that means nothing.

What about delivery dates?
View attachment 2013080
Better than what we had...

And if I were to make the higher model go higher:
View attachment 2013082
It remains the same.

In conclusion, I guess the leakers dont have it in stock in their area, and I expect them to all be in stock again June 28.

Reason 2: Colors mean nothing.​

One of the marketing for WWDC looked like this:
View attachment 2013085
After people saw this for the first time, they immediately said "M2 MacBook Air", since it is rumored to receive a redesign and get some new colors.

I thought the March 8th event would have a colorful M2 MacBook Air, because of (You guessed it), colors!
Here is what the March 8th marketing was:
View attachment 2013086
I doubt the colors mean anything, and it is just Apple trying to be fun with their logo. It could be the same this year with Apple trying to be fun with their Memojis.

Reason 3: People would forget it was revealed before getting it​

I know a few people who like to watch Apple Events to know what products Apple will start selling.

Most of the time, they forget all about the Macs, as they only use iPhone and with the occasional Apple Watch.

Seeing that the trash can Mac Pro, the cheese grater Mac Pro, AND the iMac Pro was released all in December, I wouldn't see Apple leak a consumer product 6 months after they release it.

Yes, we had the Developer Transition Kit at WWDC2020, but is that even a product? People had to return it once Apple said it was time to return it.

Reason 4: There has never been a MacBook Air released at WWDC​

There has never been a MacBook Air revealed at WWDC. The reason is that it is a consumer product.

Reason 5: The transition is not complete​

We still have one more product that needs to be transitioned to M1. That is the Mac Pro. I can see Apple using UltraFusion technology with 2 or 4, or even 8 or 16 M1 Ultras (Wow, that would be expensive)... To get the 1.5 TB of Ram that no one needs. Or, Apple could add regular Ram, and the M1 Ultra chip, as well as the RTX 3090 (and 4090) GPU's in it, to keep it upgradable. I also expect Apple to somehow allow you to upgrade storage and Ram, but not so much the GPU.

And that is why Apple will not be releasing the M2 MacBook Air at WWDC. I could be completely wrong, but in the past, I have predicted the following things perfectly:

- M1 in the iPad Pro
- WWDC21 not having a Mac
- Very fast MacBook Pros at October 2021
- No MacBook Pro M2 at March 8
- iPhone SE 3 having A15 rather than the rumored A14

(You may notice these are all from 2021-2022, that is when I started to care about Apple Events.)

If you don't agree with me, feel free to reply down below.

Thanks for reading!

......You were saying? 😂

But at least you made an effort at a rational analysis, which is increasingly uncommon, so kudos for that.

Last edited:

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Like I said, stock level meant nothing. You and Kuo were wrong.
Yes, I was.
OK, thanks. I understand your argument.

Though note that's an argument they're not discontinuing the current MBA, as opposed to not introducing a new version. Given this, I suppose this scenario is possible (yeah, maybe it's a reach): The fact that ship times on the BTO MBA aren't that large (compared with, say, the 2-3 month shipping times for the BTO 14"/16" MBP's and Studio) indicates that production & distribution on the current MBA is going fairly well. If that's the case, and if Apple plans to release a new MBA but is concerned about initial supply problems with that model, might they keep offering the current MBA, but at a reduced price, during the transition period? [Granted, it would be cleaner to wait until production is fully geared up on the new MBA, and then discontinue the old one.]

It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow!
JPack's analysis was actually correct—he just reached the wrong conclusion from it. His analysis said two things: (1) Because of stock levels, the M1 MBA won't be discontinued; and (b) Because of a lack of noise about a new model (regulatory filings, etc.), an M2 MBA won't be released.

These were both correct.

What he didn't anticipate was that an M2 MBA would be announced but not released at WWDC, which is what happened.

Reactions: alexonline
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.