Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Fully agree. But the hindsight is always 20/20 when money already spent.
Very true. I got caught up in the dynamic island hype, and while it is pretty good for what it does, it’s still just a marketing tool. But like you said, hindsight is 20/20. I’ll enjoy my 14 PM until I get the 15 PM.

Reactions: ctjack

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Very true. I got caught up in the dynamic island hype, and while it is pretty good for what it does, it’s still just a marketing tool. But like you said, hindsight is 20/20. I’ll enjoy my 14 PM until I get the 15 PM.
Yeah, i think the 15 will be the phone to hold on for longer just like 13PM - possibly easily 2-3 years until battery dies. I wish i knew before spending $480 for upgrade.

Reactions: Djones96

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Yeah, i think the 15 will be the phone to hold on for longer just like 13PM - possibly easily 2-3 years until battery dies. I wish i knew before spending $480 for upgrade.
Did you just recently upgrade? I’m sorry if you mentioned earlier, I didn’t read all messages in this forum.

Reactions: ctjack

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Did you just recently upgrade? I’m sorry if you mentioned earlier, I didn’t read all messages in this forum.
So we upgraded my wife day 1 - 256gb 13pm to 256gb 14pm; that was exactly $480($720 13pm trade in + 480 to get equivalent 14pm for 256gb for $1200). No doubt, 48mp Raw photos are night and day difference but wife is not using lightroom to edit those, so missed feature. I already mentioned that dynamic island is irritating to my taste. On top of that, she had 13.5 hrs battery life doing all the same gaming and active use, now we have only 9.5-10hrs when new on 14pm.

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
So we upgraded my wife day 1 - 256gb 13pm to 256gb 14pm; that was exactly $480($720 13pm trade in + 480 to get equivalent 14pm for 256gb for $1200). No doubt, 48mp Raw photos are night and day difference but wife is not using lightroom to edit those, so missed feature. I already mentioned that dynamic island is irritating to my taste. On top of that, she had 13.5 hrs battery life doing all the same gaming and active use, now we have only 9.5-10hrs when new on 14pm.
Gotcha. I don’t use my phone much to take pictures, but the quality difference is noticeable between the 13 PM and 14 PM. Dynamic island is a big reason why I got the 14. While it was weird at first, I much prefer it to the notch, but to each their own. My 13 was a battery champ, the 14 not so much. I hope the 15 is like the 13 in terms of battery life.

Reactions: xxray and ctjack

tomthumb17

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
England
I'm still on my 11 but definitely upgrading to the 15 Pro Max and I'm very excited! I'm confident I'm going to notice a fairly big jump! My wife is also still on her 11 she literally doesn't care about phones (or any tech) and would happily keep her 11, she has no reason to upgrade other than the battery being pretty poor now so I could easily just get her battery changed and she'd be happy to keep her 11...but I'm going to upgrade her to a 15 (maybe a pro depending on price difference but she won't care about the feature differences between the standard 15 and pro), purely because then we'll both have USB-C. I couldn't cope with one of us having lightning and one of us have USB-C.

We drive each other's cars (which both need to be plugged in for CarPlay) and although I know we could rely on Magsafe/wireless charging, it would just complicate my life having to carry different cables everywhere.

We can then give our 11's to our two young kids because we bought them Kindle Fire kids last year but they're terrible and I NEED to get the kids in to the apple eco-system so their devices are easier to manage but can't afford over £500 on two iPads!.....I wish apple did an 'iPad Kids' which is just plastic (because it'll go in a silicon case like the kindle fire kids) and has older internals but was priced at something like £199 because I'd pay that just so I can get them into the apple eco-system. It could use a processor from 2 or 3 years ago, same for the camera, it really wouldn't matter but I just need an apple device so I can get them on iCloud and iOS. The Kindle is physically great with the case etc.. and is cheap but the OS and the management of it sucks! So for now, they'll have our iPhone 11's and I might consider getting the batteries replaced.

Eitherway, I am very excited to order a 15 Pro Max for the first time ever!

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I'm still on my 11 but definitely upgrading to the 15 Pro Max and I'm very excited! I'm confident I'm going to notice a fairly big jump! My wife is also still on her 11 she literally doesn't care about phones (or any tech) and would happily keep her 11, she has no reason to upgrade other than the battery being pretty poor now so I could easily just get her battery changed and she'd be happy to keep her 11...but I'm going to upgrade her to a 15 (maybe a pro depending on price difference but she won't care about the feature differences between the standard 15 and pro), purely because then we'll both have USB-C. I couldn't cope with one of us having lightning and one of us have USB-C.

We drive each other's cars (which both need to be plugged in for CarPlay) and although I know we could rely on Magsafe/wireless charging, it would just complicate my life having to carry different cables everywhere.

We can then give our 11's to our two young kids because we bought them Kindle Fire kids last year but they're terrible and I NEED to get the kids in to the apple eco-system so their devices are easier to manage but can't afford over £500 on two iPads!.....I wish apple did an 'iPad Kids' which is just plastic (because it'll go in a silicon case like the kindle fire kids) and has older internals but was priced at something like £199 because I'd pay that just so I can get them into the apple eco-system. It could use a processor from 2 or 3 years ago, same for the camera, it really wouldn't matter but I just need an apple device so I can get them on iCloud and iOS. The Kindle is physically great with the case etc.. and is cheap but the OS and the management of it sucks! So for now, they'll have our iPhone 11's and I might consider getting the batteries replaced.

I have 11 as well and my wife 14 pm. I did have previously 13 regular and let me tell you that 13 was faster in terms of internet and apple pay. Overall, i think upgrade to anything after 11 is worth it.

Reactions: tomthumb17

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

Off topic obviously, but have you looked for deals on 9th gen iPads? Amazon has had them for $249. I’m not sure where you are though, and if that would apply, but it’s a pretty good deal since they’re fairly new, and would last a while.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Off topic obviously, but have you looked for deals on 9th gen iPads? Amazon has had them for $249. I’m not sure where you are though, and if that would apply, but it’s a pretty good deal since they’re fairly new, and would last a while.
I got my kids the 9th generation iPads for cyber Monday last year and paid under $500 for both of them, and of course that was at Amazon.

Hiimkevin062

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
Orange County
What do you have currently?

Self-control from spending thousands on a phone that's not going to complete your life any more than one that's 2-3 years old, is pretty easy.

Social media (main use for most) won't be any better on the latest model...
I have the 14 pro max but with current trade in deals, I only end up paying like $150 max to pay for latest model.

sbcdk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Not sure if this is relevant or perhaps already common knowledge, but when picking up an iPad from the store today, the salesman said they have been told the new iPhone will arrive on sept 22.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Not sure if this is relevant or perhaps already common knowledge, but when picking up an iPad from the store today, the salesman said they have been told the new iPhone will arrive on sept 22.
Yes. 9-12 Event. 9-15 orders. Phones arrive following Friday- 9-22.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I have a 12 Pro and am seriously thinking about upgrading. I'm in France and have heard that there might not have sim trays like in the USA . How difficult is it to switch to eSim ? Anyone french here who did it with a 14 last year who could tell me ? I'm on Orange France

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Currently have a 13 Pro Max with 1TB and I think I’m going to upgrade to the 15 Pro Max with 1TB. Currently sitting at 522GB on this device, so I think should be good.

Maybe I could/should delete some of the 30K pictures/videos in my camera roll while waiting for the keynote?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Currently have a 13 Pro Max with 1TB and I think I’m going to upgrade to the 15 Pro Max with 1TB. Currently sitting at 522GB on this device, so I think should be good.

Maybe I could/should delete some of the 30K pictures/videos in my camera roll while waiting for the keynote?
Sounds good. If you do delete your folders, then put them on a hard drive like I do external one that way you can put them back if you want. But I think the 15 promax might come with a 2 TB storage option. If so, that would be cool.

Reactions: CaptMarvel

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Sounds good. If you do delete your folders, then put them on a hard drive like I do external one that way you can put them back if you want. But I think the 15 promax might come with a 2 TB storage option. If so, that would be cool.

I heard the 2TB rumor and that would be more than substantial until maybe the iPhone 18/19 haha. I hardly shoot RAW images with my iPhone but I do sometimes shoot with my Sony and transfer to iPhone to edit, even when I should/could do it on my iPad Pro.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I heard the 2TB rumor and that would be more than substantial until maybe the iPhone 18/19 haha. I hardly shoot RAW images with my iPhone but I do sometimes shoot with my Sony and transfer to iPhone to edit, even when I should/could do it on my iPad Pro.
Yeah, I understand that. But I’m guessing that they’re providing the 2 TB possibly for extended video recording for people that make movies on the phone Especially when using ProRes, it takes up a lot of space. I have the 14 Pro Max one terabyte model, and I still have 860 something gigs available even though all of my photos are taken in ProRAW. I don’t shoot much video, I’m not very well-versed in that medium right now. I can shoot a video just fine but haven’t really fully learned how to edit them very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.