Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Cracking drive from Alonso. 7th in that car is an achievement.
Sad reality is he probably won't finish tomorrow.

Up front Lewis has put the disappointment of last time out behind him and put his stamp on this weekend. He is the man to best in Spain.
Vettel will keep him honest though. Or will Bottas come from third again?
Find out tomorrow I guess.

Reactions: pachyderm

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Did anyone catch the post race drivers room? Vettel and Ricciardo seem like normal guys. Race is over they can talk.

Lewis looks like he has some pickle up his rear. He just ignores everyone. I used to hate Hamilton but started liking him a bit when he moved to Mercedes because it looked like he had grown. Starting to dislike him again though. He's so standoffish in the post race room but then runs out smiling to the podium. Looks fake.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Did anyone catch the post race drivers room? Vettel and Ricciardo seem like normal guys. Race is over they can talk.

Lewis looks like he has some pickle up his rear. He just ignores everyone. I used to hate Hamilton but started liking him a bit when he moved to Mercedes because it looked like he had grown. Starting to dislike him again though. He's so standoffish in the post race room but then runs out smiling to the podium. Looks fake.
Hamilton has a hell of an ego but is an amazing driver to watch. I'm not particularly bothered by their personalities these days as I don't invest enough time into learning too much about them. I met Hamilton at the British GP in 2008 when he gave a post race talk in a marquee behind the pits. Back then he was a nice chap who didn't seem to take himself too seriously. These days I'm not so sure but still enjoy him winning. He'd probably have an agent pushing people out of the way these days.

Awesome drive today though, hopefully Mercedes have found that extra pace going forward.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
High point for me this race was that kid from the stands meeting Kimi. He was so excited at the start and then so crushed when Kimi went out it was great to see him smiling again meeting Kimi.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Only had highlights this evening so they didn't show it. However did you notice how out of breath he sounded on the radio? He was probably just shattered.

Great race though. Seeing two of the best drivers, both multiple world champions going wheel to wheel (literally) was fantastic!
I love F1 in 2017.
[doublepost=1494790680][/doublepost]
High point for me this race was that kid from the stands meeting Kimi. He was so excited at the start and then so crushed when Kimi went out it was great to see him smiling again meeting Kimi.
Agree it was a nice touch. Especially as the ice-man isn't normally that approachable.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Lewis scared me a little, there. He looked (to say the least) unwell.
Maybe he was? Anyway I think whichever of them wins the Championship, Spain may well be one of the defining moments.

Some useful drives and points for the midfield teams. Williams had a nightmare weekend.

And on the day when Alonso could have actually done with an early bath, he gets his first finish of the season! Good luck in the practice tomorrow at the Indianapolis 500.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Lewis is a prickle.

lol

There are things I like about Lewis like how he doesn't want to fit in that mould that F1 pushes on the drivers. I respect Vettel wants privacy but I acknowledge Lewis on snapchat & insta is great for the sport. I enjoy seeing what he's up to and what a driver does in between races. He just has a side of him that I wouldn't be friends with a guy like that and people pick up on it.

Good article: http://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilton-robbed-by-boring-as-f-template/

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
alonso-indycar-test-2017-22.jpg

McClaren Andretti orange... love it.

Reactions: apolloa

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Not sure I'm going to watch Manaco GP but I KNOW that I'm watching Indy this year. First time in years. Hmmm, not bad for a rookie. Hope he can pull off a Rossi.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Not sure I'm going to watch Manaco GP but I KNOW that I'm watching Indy this year. First time in years. Hmmm, not bad for a rookie. Hope he can pull off a Rossi.

Rossi won by attrition and pit stop luck. It's pretty much how all indy car and NASCAR races end up now a days... :(

Fred can easily win from 5th. Go Fred!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I put a £20 bet on Max to win this years championship... Red Bull have some more enhancements coming so you never know, but not finishing 2 races doesn't help.
Will be an interesting race in Monaco, I see Lewis is taking it easy so far this week.

But faster wider cars round the tight twisty street track, should make for a good race.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
But faster wider cars round the tight twisty street track, should make for a good race.
I think wider cars pretty much ensure it will be a fairly dull, processional race to be honest. You need cars which are narrow with a short wheel base if you want to invite more overtaking on the slow, winding Monaco streets.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I think wider cars pretty much ensure it will be a fairly dull, processional race to be honest. You need cars which are narrow with a short wheel base if you want to invite more overtaking on the slow, winding Monaco streets.

Yeah but I'm hoping they'll try. Wasn't it last year Lewis lost there because his team messed up over the safety car and virtual safety car?

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yeah but I'm hoping they'll try. Wasn't it last year Lewis lost there because his team messed up over the safety cat and virtual safety car?
It was yes, he was completely robbed. Unfortunately most of the overtaking is through the pitlane or when somebody crashes. Let's have a few bumps I say! Spice it up.

P.S My sport is road racing, are any of you motorsports fans into it too? The Isle of Man TT starts next week and I made a thread last year which was completely ignored. Just wondering if anybody is watching that here? :)

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
It was yes, he was completely robbed. Unfortunately most of the overtaking is through the pitlane or when somebody crashes. Let's have a few bumps I say! Spice it up.

P.S My sport is road racing, are any of you motorsports fans into it too? The Isle of Man TT starts next week and I made a thread last year which was completely ignored. Just wondering if anybody is watching that here? :)

I like F1 and cars, may have to start watching Formula E as it's gathering pace.. and I'll be off to my yearly trip to GoodWood FOS this year.. My mum watches motorcycle racing, although I think it's more for the crashes lol, but she knew someone who's son is pretty good at it, no idea who though..

I was offered the chance to go to Thruxton for the BTTC the other weekend but couldn't make it. I sometimes watch that, I love how its barge em out the way racing haha..

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I put a £20 bet on Max to win this years championship... Red Bull have some more enhancements coming so you never know, but not finishing 2 races doesn't help.
Will be an interesting race in Monaco, I see Lewis is taking it easy so far this week.

You can kiss that £20 goodbye!

Sunday's race will be decided on Saturday I fear.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I like F1 and cars, may have to start watching Formula E as it's gathering pace.. and I'll be off to my yearly trip to GoodWood FOS this year.. My mum watches morocycling racing, although I think it's more for the crashes lol, but she knew someone who's son is pretty good at it, no idea who though..

I was offered the chance to go to Thruxton for the BTTC the other weekend but couldn't make it. I sometimes watch that, I love how its barge em out the way racing haha..
I had hospitality and paddock passes for last years British MotoGP and couldn't make it, still feel sick about that one. I don't like crashes on bikes mind you, especially not when it's road racing. That can be life changing stuff.

There doesn't seem to be much of a bike following then, never mind :)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
You can kiss that £20 goodbye!

Sunday's race will be decided on Saturday I fear.

No no, I have faith ;) theirs time yet.. although next year I may bet on someone else hahaha.. maybe Botas if he's sticking around, then again that depends on who he drives for.

I had hospitality and paddock passes for last years British MotoGP and couldn't make it, still feel sick about that one. I don't like crashes on bikes mind you, especially not when it's road racing. That can be life changing stuff.

There doesn't seem to be much of a bike following then, never mind :)

Ooohhh ouch, that would have been a cool day out, that's what I love about GoodWood is it's ALL about the cars themselves and not sales, so you can happily sit in a 200 grand Bentley, and casually chat to one of McLarens designers at its stand, brilliant up close stuff, not behind barriers and salesmen.
Yeah I'm afraid I don't follow the motorbike racing.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Indycar fans are already complaining that if Alonso wins it will cheapen their series.

I think the "press to pass", LED score board on the car, and bumper car bumpers on the back already do that... but what do I know?

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Indycar fans are already complaining that if Alonso wins it will cheapen their series.

I think the "press to pass", LED score board on the car, and bumper car bumpers on the back already do that... but what do I know?
I think the push to pass is less contrived than DRS. Anyone can use it for a certain time, it is equal. Not just because you're happen to be behind someone.

Maybe it is cheap, but Indycar championship have more competition than F1 right now. You think the new F1 rules create more competition, but it didn't. Just allowed the teams with the most resources to continue to dominate.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Rules changes don't reduce disparity, they increase it. If you want more competition, don't change the technical regulations for a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.