Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Rules changes don't reduce disparity, they increase it. If you want more competition, don't change the technical regulations for a decade.

But then your at the risk of the car developments stagnating, and F1 is all about the challenges of the rules and how to meet and beat them. F1 is incredibly political, a lot goes on in the background you don't hear about, some of it dirty play. I think that needs to change.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Saw an article today that Toto Wolff says that F1 needs more challenging courses like Monaco or Spa where you don't have the "oops, I made a mistake" and have a nice run off area and then rejoin the track. I agree with him. If only they could bring back Nurburgring and refueling. Never happen but I can wish. BTW, Go Fernando!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Saw an article today that Toto Wolff says that F1 needs more challenging courses like Monaco or Spa where you don't have the "oops, I made a mistake" and have a nice run off area and then rejoin the track. I agree with him. If only they could bring back Nurburgring and refueling. Never happen but I can wish. BTW, Go Fernando!
Just have a penalty if cars run off the track. Like they have to drive around an extra long lap before they can rejoin the race! That would stop all the corner cutting!

How many safety cars on Sunday? I'm going for 3 (including Virtual ones).

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I think the push to pass is less contrived than DRS. Anyone can use it for a certain time, it is equal. Not just because you're happen to be behind someone.

Maybe it is cheap, but Indycar championship have more competition than F1 right now. You think the new F1 rules create more competition, but it didn't. Just allowed the teams with the most resources to continue to dominate.

that isn't what i think at all..

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Vettel on pole for me today is my prediction.
But you can't discount Lewis or even Max.
With the engine deficit neutralised somewhat by the slower track, RBR need to maximise their points tally tomorrow.
Similarly for McLaren. Not that they are going to challenge for a podium sadly.
But a good solid 5th or 6th could be possible with some reliability and a good qualifying.

Reactions: apolloa

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
McLaren wins tomorrow :)
For a £1 bet you should get £10000 back on that happening!

Sad that a 15 grid penalty has robbed JB of getting anything decent out of today and probably tomorrow.

I tell you one thing. I'd never buy a Honda based on there current engineering. It can only be a matter of time before their shareholders come to the same conclusion. They can't be doing themselves any favours.

Reactions: pachyderm and bbrks

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

Sad that a 15 grid penalty has robbed JB of getting anything decent out of today and probably tomorrow.

I tell you one thing. I'd never buy a Honda based on there current engineering. It can only be a matter of time before their shareholders come to the same conclusion. They can't be doing themselves any favours.

yeah but the road cars are entirely different. but i see what you mean.

it is said that here in the US that NASCAR used to dictate cars sales on Mondays following a race result on the previous Sunday... i.e. if Chevy won, Chevy car sales spiked and vice versa for the other car makes.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Good Q1 for RBR. Looks like it's between them and Ferrari for pole.
[doublepost=1495887994][/doublepost]
yeah but the road cars are entirely different. but i see what you mean.

it is said that here in the US that NASCAR used to dictate cars sales on Mondays following a race result on the previous Sunday... i.e. if Chevy won, Chevy car sales spiked and vice versa for the other car makes.
Agree and realise any F1 manufacturer that sells road cars have very little in common.
That said I'd never buy a Honda anyway. Currently own my first VW and I won't be changing it any time soon.
[doublepost=1495890427][/doublepost]Go Kimi go!
First pole in 9 years.
And another Ferrari lock out. I was surprised RB didn't get at least one car on the front row in the end.

But Lewis has had a shocker. He'll be hoping for rain, a big crash and lots of SC to get a sniff of a podium. His best bet is just damage limitation and a good points showing.
He'll also be hoping Kimi can bring it home up front.

Reactions: pachyderm

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Great qualy today! Well, absolute boring but I love watching Monaco. It's one of those races where even if the action stinks, the view is always spectacular.

Just as a side note to how bad competition is in F1.. look at what's going on in the NHL and NBA. The NBA is like F1. You have 2 teams that are capable of winning the championship. You have the NBA color commentators saying they would rather watch hockey. In America? Crazy! The NHL's salary cap has made it so competitive and so riveting that we have no clue who is going to win and it's so exciting!

Imagine tuning into F1 next week and it's likely that Hamilton or Vettel will win, but Hulkenberg or Sainz can also have their day. That is impossible now. I would like to see an F1 where a salary cap is enabled. You have to choose where/how to spend your money.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I would like to see an F1 where a salary cap is enabled. You have to choose where/how to spend your money.

They tried to implement that back in 2010 via a GBP 40 million budget cap when they opened the sport to three new teams (USF1, Virgin and HRT), but after significant pushback from the manufactuer teams, it was dropped.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
They tried to implement that back in 2010 via a GBP 40 million budget cap when they opened the sport to three new teams (USF1, Virgin and HRT), but after significant pushback from the manufactuer teams, it was dropped.

I remember when they tried to implement that budget cap. They always knew they could never police it anyway. I think Bernie offered a whistleblower fee if anyone came forward with evidence of teams blowing the cap. It was always flawed.

It's harder to do in motorsport vs. an athlete based sport but they absolutely must equal the prize payout scheme to start. Otherwise the top teams will remain the top teams and the bottom teams will always be at the bottom which is what the top teams want and don't want to give up --> result, an uninspired sporting product.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

They're the largest racing engine manufacturer in the world. They'll manage.

Plus, they're great in Indy this year.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Great qualy today! Well, absolute boring but I love watching Monaco. It's one of those races where even if the action stinks, the view is always spectacular.

Just as a side note to how bad competition is in F1.. look at what's going on in the NHL and NBA. The NBA is like F1. You have 2 teams that are capable of winning the championship. You have the NBA color commentators saying they would rather watch hockey. In America? Crazy! The NHL's salary cap has made it so competitive and so riveting that we have no clue who is going to win and it's so exciting!

Imagine tuning into F1 next week and it's likely that Hamilton or Vettel will win, but Hulkenberg or Sainz can also have their day. That is impossible now. I would like to see an F1 where a salary cap is enabled. You have to choose where/how to spend your money.
agreed.

also, lewie 13th is priceless... :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The busiest grid walk of the year. It's so tight compared to other grids.
Looking forward to a good race.
But as it's Monaco it often turns into a bit of a precession.
Fingers crossed. Would love to see Kimi get the win.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The busiest grid walk of the year. It's so tight compared to other grids.
Looking forward to a good race.
But as it's Monaco it often turns into a bit of a precession.
Fingers crossed. Would love to see Kimi get the win.

Me too. I won't be surprised if Lewie wins from 13th though.. :(
[doublepost=1495972442][/doublepost];)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Me too. I won't be surprised if Lewie wins from 13th though.. :(
That isn't going to happen. I think more likely is the tactics of Ferrari favour Vettel.
A SC or two will spice things up.
I'd like to see Lewis coming through the pack, but he's just as likely to get taken out at the start.
[doublepost=1495973031][/doublepost]JB telling Alonso he's going to pee in his seat over the radio! Priceless.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not been a great race. JB tries for the first pass of the race on lap 61 which results in a Sauber lying on its side.
Lucky Pascal Wehrlein walks away seemingly unhurt.
His team mate felt so bad he stuffed it following the SC!
[doublepost=1495979451][/doublepost]Not the best race of the season. Such a parade. The cars are just too wide now to pass on this circuit.
Sad to see Vettel get the result rather than Kimi due to strategy. Got to think it was deliberate.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Not been a great race. JB tries for the first pass of the race on lap 61 which results in a Sauber lying on its side.
[doublepost=1495979451][/doublepost]Not the best race of the season. Such a parade. The cars are just too wide now to pass on this circuit.
Sad to see Vettel get the result rather than Kimi due to strategy. Got to think it was deliberate.

one of my favorites races so far... to each his own i guess.

Sianz getting points, Haas has two cars in the points...

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I doubt it. What Vettel did to take that spot was truly inspired driving. Few drivers could make that happen.

Reactions: F1Mac

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
one of my favorites races so far... to each his own i guess.

Sianz getting points, Haas has two cars in the points...
???
No passes at all is your favourite race? I think you just liked Lewis being 7th!
[doublepost=1495980341][/doublepost]
I doubt it. What Vettel did to take that spot was truly inspired driving. Few drivers could make that happen.
I think Ricardo had a similar good spell to steal third from Bottas and Max. Made up for last year a bit.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
???
No passes at all is your favourite race? I think you just liked Lewis being 7th!
The problem, to me, is fairly simple. In Monaco, any perceived gaining between two drivers is negated by the fact that 9/10 of the difficulty is getting around the guy. There's no passing room at all. That deflates any real excitement outside of when everyone is pitting

That being said, with the safety cars and such, Monaco can be kind of fun...although from a straight racing standpoint, it shouldn't be on the calendar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.