Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The problem, to me, is fairly simple. In Monaco, any perceived gaining between two drivers is negated by the fact that 9/10 of the difficulty is getting around the guy. There's no passing room at all. That deflates any real excitement outside of when everyone is pitting

That being said, with the safety cars and such, Monaco can be kind of fun...although from a straight racing standpoint, it shouldn't be on the calendar.
True. It has the atmosphere and the glitz and glamor. But for an out and out race it's not great.
Canada will be completely different.

Reactions: AustinIllini

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It's never going anywhere. Just like Ferrari will likely always get what they want so they can stay in F1
Agree. I'm not saying I want it dropped. Just that this years race wasn't good compared to others. When a top driver in a top car can't overtake a much slower car for the entire race that's not good.

F1Mac

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
I doubt it. What Vettel did to take that spot was truly inspired driving. Few drivers could make that happen.

Agreed. I doubt this was a deliberate move from Ferrari. But man did Kimi looked pissed!!... Vettel fully deserves his win imo.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Great footage today despite a lacklustre racing event. Kind of exciting Ferrari dominated while Mercedes struggled. Looking forward to Canada and hopefully a better race in 2 weeks.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Sad to see Vettel get the result rather than Kimi due to strategy. Got to think it was deliberate.

Verstappen lost out pitting first, as well. As the higher-placed cars, Kimi and Max had first choice of the pit stops and both chose to do so, but that proved to be the wrong strategy by both as it allowed Seb and Dan to run in clean air and land some blistering laps.

Indy Update - Alonso in the lead as we're just coming back from a Red Flag as Scott Dixon literally cheated death with a massive crash around Lap 50.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Verstappen lost out pitting first, as well. As the higher-placed cars, Kimi and Max had first choice of the pit stops and both chose to do so, but that proved to be the wrong strategy by both as it allowed Seb and Dan to run in clean air and land some blistering laps.

Indy Update - Alonso in the lead as we're just coming back from a Red Flag as Scott Dixon literally cheated death with a massive crash around Lap 50.
I saw the photos (no coverage here). Looked scary.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
I don't see why everyone thinks Monaco is such a great race. Literally no passing. Loved the result though. Was hoping that Kimi would be the winner but I'll take it. Geeez, what was JB thinking? There wasn't a bit of room for a pass there. Fernando is doing well. Fingers crossed. Wonder how many F1 guys are watching Indy? I'm betting they're jealous of all the press Fernando is getting. Hmmm, Indy Car racing....has passing. What a treat!

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I don't see why everyone thinks Monaco is such a great race. Literally no passing.

For Monaco, it's all about the track itself (and the venue the course is placed in). It's because you cannot pass due to it being tight and winding with blind entries and exits and almost no runoff that makes it exciting. It's been likened to riding a motorcycle in an apartment. :eek:

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
For Monaco, it's all about the track itself (and the venue the course is placed in). It's because you cannot pass due to it being tight and winding with blind entries and exits and almost no runoff that makes it exciting. It's been likened to riding a motorcycle in an apartment. :eek:

I'll give you the venue, stunning and full of "beautiful people". Maybe exciting winding through the streets and very tight but as to racing...if you aren't 1 or 2 on the grid your chances are pretty much zero. If you like "tight" try this. More entertaining than Monaco.

If you prefer two wheels there's this.
btw, Fernando is currently leading Indy (lap 134). Go Fernando!

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If ever there was a better driver who deserved a better engine manufacturer!

We all know he's capable of winning races.

But with Honda he's not even capable of finishing races.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If ever there was a better driver who deserved a better engine manufacturer!

We all know he's capable of winning races.

But with Honda he's not even capable of finishing races.
In Indy, Honda is still the better manufacturer this year. Reliability is a problem, but at least they have power in IndyCar unlike in F1.

And it looks like that mega incident probably would have taken him out anyway :(
[doublepost=1496001138][/doublepost]Fernando gracious in defeat.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Wow, what an article about Alonso from a rather unlikely source, USA Today. I couldn't have said it better.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-spectacular-indianapolis-500-run/102268964/

For me other than the fact that he left his F1 team midseason for one race, and they let him, this isn't that big of a story. He went from driving one big, powerful race car to driving only a slightly different big, powerful race car. Sadly with the same result he'd been getting in F1. There were/are already other former F1 drivers in the field and he didn't suddenly up and say,"F1 sucks! Indycar is where it's at!". He simply went where he felt he had a chance to win and he had an open window to do it. His current car isn't competitive and missing a race wouldn't effect his team or his chances at a title.

I really do feel that Indycar, a series I like and follow, has serious identity and self esteem issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.