Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So the CRB is meeting (virtually) today to discuss where Piastri ends up. A decision is not expected today, but they will have to present their decision within three days.

Piastri will end up at McLaren, regardless, for even if Alpine win, they're not going to keep him and will sell his contract to McLaren per SKY.

RACER magazine speculates Alpine will buy Gasley out at Alpha Tauri and I expect that outcome will be even more likely if Alpine win and get money from McLaren for Piastri.

RACER also says it is possible two seats will open at Alpha Tauri (should Gasley go to Alpine) as they are said not to be keen to keep Tsunoda. Alpha Tauri have said they are interested in Brian Herta, but Herta only has 30 of the required 40 points needed for an F1 Super License, though the FIA can issue one as an exception due to COVID-related force majure.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I do hate it when team principles make smug remarks like that. You’d think they’d realise the shoe often flips to the other foot and these sorts of mind games come back to bite. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.
A) The articles barely reflect what was really said and never within the context. B) A bit of banter and jousting is good fun, happens in every sport.

And he receives plenty of that as well...

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Why would they? Its NASCAR.
Damn dude.

It may have also happened so fast that they didn't have time to react. Ever think of that?

I get tired of the attitude that only F1 drivers are great drivers. That's ********.

Check out what great F1 drivers have done in their forays into NASCAR. It's not that impressive.

You don't have to like, or appreciate, it but it takes more than most of you would like to admit and you really should respect it more than you do.

FYI quite a few NASCAR drivers like/love/respect F1.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It had started to rain... several drivers mentioned it but the race marshalls didn't react in time...

And that seems to be the big issue - drivers, teams and fans are chastising the track officials as to why they let them continue to pack race even after the showers started hitting. They believe there was sufficient time to throw a Caution to slow everyone down before the track become too slick for slicks and "The Great Pile-Up" occurred.

Reactions: Glideslope

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Damn dude.

It may have also happened so fast that they didn't have time to react. Ever think of that?

I get tired of the attitude that only F1 drivers are great drivers. That's ********.

Check out what great F1 drivers have done in their forays into NASCAR. It's not that impressive.

You don't have to like, or appreciate, it but it takes more than most of you would like to admit and you really should respect it more than you do.

FYI quite a few NASCAR drivers like/love/respect F1.

NASCAR doesn’t get any air time in my country and just isn’t the type of motorsport that really appeals to Europeans I would say. We have so many types from touring cars to F1, and nascar I suppose is viewed as a bit primitive and unexciting due to its oval racing. Not suggesting the drivers are not skilled or brave though, just not something I think I’d ever want to watch.

I love road racing, but that has its many detractors too due to how dangerous it is and compared to other motorsports it has fewer following it. That’s part of the appeal also for me though. It kicks F1 into the dust in regards to pure adrenaline fuelled excitement and the racing is pure. Not for everyone though.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Something many of the new fans are still arguing over but great to see from 2 champions who wholeheartedly respect one another

520255edb68ceac228a667dd50d2bbcc.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Something many of the new fans are still arguing over but great to see from 2 champions who wholeheartedly respect one another

520255edb68ceac228a667dd50d2bbcc.jpg
It’s amazing what you can do in Photoshop these days! 😜

To be fair the commentators like to make out there is a big rift between them due to what happened at McLaren. But that’s so long ago I’m sure neither ever gives it a thought.
As for the comments in the race, we’ll adrenaline will make you quite vocal about things you wouldn’t normally say.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s amazing what you can do in Photoshop these days!

To be fair the commentators like to make out there is a big rift between them due to what happened at McLaren. But that’s so long ago I’m sure neither ever gives it a thought.
As for the comments in the race, we’ll adrenaline will make you quite vocal about things you wouldn’t normally say.

I’ve called work colleagues much worse and had it back, still make each other a cuppa half an hour later lol. Yeah I’d imagine there’s a respect between these two and a competitive rivalry that exists as you’d expect, but 2007 was 15 years ago and both guys are much more mature these days. I always got the impression Alonso was more bitter towards McLaren/Ron Dennis than he was Lewis.

Lewis isn’t known for causing accidents generally and Alonso knows that, he’s just like anybody else and was frustrated in the moment. Cool to see this PR visit though, as Alonso would have looked a bit of a tool if he hadn’t done this considering Lewis took full responsibility and immediately apologised lol. I did read somewhere they had met up on holiday a few years ago so they obviously don’t despise each other the way some fans and the media like to portray.

Reactions: pachyderm

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
I’ve called work colleagues much worse and had it back, still make each other a cuppa half an hour later lol. Yeah I’d imagine there’s a respect between these two and a competitive rivalry that exists as you’d expect, but 2007 was 15 years ago and both guys are much more mature these days. I always got the impression Alonso was more bitter towards McLaren/Ron Dennis than he was Lewis.

Lewis isn’t known for causing accidents generally and Alonso knows that, he’s just like anybody else and was frustrated in the moment. Cool to see this PR visit though, as Alonso would have looked a bit of a tool if he hadn’t done this considering Lewis took full responsibility and immediately apologised lol. I did read somewhere they had met up on holiday a few years ago so they obviously don’t despise each other the way some fans and the media like to portray.
The media have so much to answer for, they make everything a story. Not surprising, that two racing drivers, in racing situations are single minded and focused on one thing, being ahead of all the cars. I personally don't like the chat from the drivers being publicised, and in other sports, it's being resisted or refused.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The Contract Recognition Board has just ruled in favor of McLaren for the services for Oscar Piastri and McLaren has confirmed he will replace Daniel for 2023.

In addition, SKY is reporting from the track that Pierre Gasly will take Piastri's seat at Alpine.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
The Contract Recognition Board has just ruled in favor of McLaren for the services for Oscar Piastri and McLaren has confirmed he will replace Daniel for 2023.

In addition, SKY is reporting from the track that Pierre Gasly will take Piastri's seat at Alpine.

A very ugly season so far. The changes in regulations have caused no end of issues; car issues, drivers not being able to get to grips with the changes, impact of porpoising on drivers health, drivers being shunted because of highly sponsored drivers becoming available. Anyone wish the cars from last year were still around?
And we've still got DRS? Why? If these new regulations are working, and the FIA haven't said they are not, then overtaking is very possible, and as we have seen in races, is occurring, in my view, far to easily. So lets scrap the 'help', a slower car gets.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A very ugly season so far. The changes in regulations have caused no end of issues; car issues, drivers not being able to get to grips with the changes, impact of porpoising on drivers health, drivers being shunted because of highly sponsored drivers becoming available. Anyone wish the cars from last year were still around?
And we've still got DRS? Why? If these new regulations are working, and the FIA haven't said they are not, then overtaking is very possible, and as we have seen in races, is occurring, in my view, far to easily. So lets scrap the 'help', a slower car gets.
Agree wholeheartedly. Last year the cars were much closer. But that’s always the way with major changes. One team always does better than the rest.
DRS robs us of good racing. Daniel Ricardo has been a victim of it. He used to be great at braking late and still making the corner. But these days, no need. The pass is done well before the apex.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ve long been an advocate of getting rid of DRS and surprised it’s still in the sport. It was a desperate measure to try and make ‘the show’ exciting for people with short attention spans and who don’t bother learning about strategies etc.

This season is definitely less close at the front and I’m less bothered about catching the highlights than I was last year. It’ll be over in a few races and then we’ll have the final races where it’s just picking up the points for other teams. On to 2023

Reactions: Glideslope

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I like DRS, and that it isn’t just the driver by themselves. The whole team is competing, not just driving skill, but also engineering and strategy at all levels. Makes it way more interesting.

But I’d be open to having a second race in a reference vehicle which is exactly the same for all drivers with just driver personalisation to it. Also gives us an extra race :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.