Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yes the AMGs both looked very competitive in practice and qualifying. Shame Perez' spin stuffed their final runs.

Some of the closing speeds on those laps was crazy.

Max did have an amazing lap. LeClerc might have been able to pip him if not for that slow middle section on his last lap.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not the best track for overtakes. So hard to see anything but Max driving off to victory.
At least the field is closer. But then that’s to do with the track. Shame we didn’t get to see the Mercs final pace. But I’m sure they’ll get past Ferrari when they double stack them in the pits and put the wrong wheels on or something.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Not the best track for overtakes. So hard to see anything but Max driving off to victory.
At least the field is closer. But then that’s to do with the track. Shame we didn’t get to see the Mercs final pace. But I’m sure they’ll get past Ferrari when they double stack them in the pits and put the wrong wheels on or something.

Very real possibility. It’s amazing how Ferrari can develope such a great car yet always taking steps backward through various mistakes both in strategy and mechanical. They almost seem cursed.

I think Mercedes pace will be the same as the first runs in Q3. Will be interesting to see see how they start on full tanks.

Max should have made a MUCH stronger statement to his fans that throwing flares and flags on track will not be tolerated.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Especially since that one tossed off The Paddock Club area just before the final runs could have brought out a Red Flag if it had not landed behind the wall and at that time LeClerc was on Provisional Pole.

Reactions: Glideslope

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
That was so so close, Charles had that if he had a more tidy lap he would have kept pole, but Max nailed that last drive. Perez helping them all by ruining the Mercedes laps.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Especially since that one tossed off The Paddock Club area just before the final runs could have brought out a Red Flag if it had not landed behind the wall and at that time LeClerc was on Provisional Pole.

To be perfectly honest I don't see the point in them? I mean they ruin the view for other fans as you can't see the track, and then idiots throw them on the track.
With any luck the FIA will ban them now. Doubt it though.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
To be perfectly honest I don't see the point in them? I mean they ruin the view for other fans as you can't see the track, and then idiots throw them on the track.
With any luck the FIA will ban them now. Doubt it though.
It’s banned now; with a hefty fine and a ban for live to attend F1. Shame a few idiots have spoiled it for all. But that was inevitable n

Reactions: Pezimak

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Did anybody see Piastri’s interview? He came across very well and said the agreement to join McLaren was decided before Alonso announced he was leaving. He said he couldn’t afford to be kept behind the scenes for another 2 years waiting for Alonso to leave so made a decision on his career while he had the opportunity. In hindsight I’m sure he regrets it a bit seeing as the Alpine is a slightly better car, but I don’t blame him now for the decision he made.

Reactions: pachyderm

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Charles couldn't hang on to it for a whole race though.

I don’t know, he was doing alright and challenging Max at the font.

It’s banned now; with a hefty fine and a ban for live to attend F1. Shame a few idiots have spoiled it for all. But that was inevitable n

That’s something then, let’s hope they enforce the ban too. I don’t expect breathing in all that coloured smoke would do you much good either anyway.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I’ve long been an advocate of getting rid of DRS and surprised it’s still in the sport. It was a desperate measure to try and make ‘the show’ exciting for people with short attention spans and who don’t bother learning about strategies etc.

This season is definitely less close at the front and I’m less bothered about catching the highlights than I was last year. It’ll be over in a few races and then we’ll have the final races where it’s just picking up the points for other teams. On to 2023

Well now you know how the rest of us felt during the MERC/HAM heyday.

Really anyone's heyday I suppose. But those long stretches of Ferrari and Merc do come to mind... Lordy.

Only once in my time following F1 has my favorite driver ever had a great car, Williams/Damon Hill.

The rest of the time I've simply hoped for the best...

What about this track? I can't decide if I love it or hate ite it. If it's suitable for F1 or more for go carts...

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I never felt like that; there is only 1 first place in any sport. There are still good battles for the rest of the field and places and good to see how progress is made or not....

I think only one team fans opposed to fans of the sport switch off if their team is not winning.
What about this track? I can't decide if I love it or hate ite it. If it's suitable for F1 or more for go carts...
I really like Zandvoort. I like that it isn't the same as some of the other tracks. I like that it is truly challenging and how close the entirety of the grid is to each other. To me that provides some excitement and racing. Now don't get me wrong I wouldn't want every track to be like that, but to me it is the variation that makes it interesting.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I never felt like that; there is only 1 first place in any sport. There are still good battles for the rest of the field and places and good to see how progress is made or not....

I think only one team fans opposed to fans of the sport switch off if their team is not winning.

I really like Zandvoort. I like that it isn't the same as some of the other tracks. I like that it is truly challenging and how close the entirety of the grid is to each other. To me that provides some excitement and racing. Now don't get me wrong I wouldn't want every track to be like that, but to me it is the variation that makes it interesting.
Well now you know how the rest of us other than @cyb3rdud3 felt... ?

• Haha
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Really anyone's heyday I suppose. But those long stretches of Ferrari and Merc do come to mind... Lordy.

Only once in my time following F1 has my favorite driver ever had a great car, Williams/Damon Hill.

The rest of the time I've simply hoped for the best...

Also Red Bull 2010-2013, four seasons of hoping McLaren would finally get a good car together. I know all too well how it feels in dominant periods and also got bored of the Mercedes dominance as I’ve said here many many times. It does make things very boring and even for those who support the driver who wins too often lol. I didn’t watch much F1 between 2001 and 2004, mainly because I was at university, but it was definitely an era I can say in hindsight was great to miss on the whole. I just want McLaren to get a great car again and Mercedes if they still have a British driver in the future.

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
Tsunoda: “Plan didn’t work. No safety car”

Red Bull team 2: “Box box box, let’s try again and next time park it better”

Tsunoda: “I did it guys. Took me only 2 tries to trigger the safety car and a free pitstop for Max”

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Tsunoda: “Plan didn’t work. No safety car”

Red Bull team 2: “Box box box, let’s try again and next time park it better”

Tsunoda: “I did it guys. Took me only 2 tries to trigger the safety car and a free pitstop for Max”
What !?!?

Really ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.