Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Bad form of Lewis. Not even congratulating the winners nor his own team mate in parc ferme. All other drivers went past them and they were all chatting. Sad and childish.

Reactions: Pezimak

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
It is quite sad that Ferrari supposed to be the championship contender against Red Bull, yet they are fighting with the slow Mercedes.

If Mercedes had that Ferrari car with Lewis and Russel behind the wheel, the championship would have been much more interesting.

Red Bull is going to win every race if Ferrari cannot get their act together.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Ferrari what a mess

I do like this track when they are racing

If that Alpha Tauri/TSO quote is real that’s terrible. For shame.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Well, very difficult race for the Team Strategist‘s. RBR made the right calls for the entirety. Very tense. Credit to Mercedes for letting George show his stuff.

Great result for George. Super happy to see him in P2. George made the right call for himself, and that’s all that matters at this point. The team owes no explanation to Lewis.

Ferrari continues to display mind bending confusion. No communication between the Engineers and Mechanics. Binotto enforces no discipline. He needs to go in 2023.

Monster drive by the guy in the RB18/HONDA. Schooled Lewis on the Safety Car Restart. Passed him 1 meter after the line on the start.

Looking forward to Honda’s first WCC of the Hybrid Era.

Off to do some fishing for the remainder of the day on Golden Pond. 😏

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It is quite sad that Ferrari supposed to be the championship contender against Red Bull, yet they are fighting with the slow Mercedes.

If Mercedes had that Ferrari car with Lewis and Russel behind the wheel, the championship would have been much more interesting.

Red Bull is going to win every race if Ferrari cannot get their act together.
It’s not just the car, not just the driver. They got to get the strategy right. Just like in Bahrain Lewis became a sitting duck and didn’t stand a chance.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I hope all the Mercedes’ strategists are currently on their knees apologising in the debrief room after that shambles lol. Worth even watching the highlights? I’ll probably just watch the 7 min roundup on YouTube of that one lol.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I hope all the Mercedes’ strategists are currently on their knees apologising in the debrief room after that shambles lol. Worth even watching the highlights? I’ll probably just watch the 7 min roundup on YouTube of that one lol.
If you like F1 it is definitely worth watching the full race. Definitely a good one to watch...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
My thoughts on Mercedes' strategy call:
  • Lewis was not going to win the race - Max was just too fast. But they should have pitted Lewis and George under the SC for softs as they probably would have finished 2nd and 3rd, respectively.
  • If they had not pitted Russel, I think Lewis could have finished third behind Max and Charles by sacrificing George and using him to hold off both the RBR and the Ferrari long enough for Lewis to warm his tires. George would have then finished fourth as Sainz was never a threat because he was going to get a time penalty for his unsafe release and Perez was too ragged to get past.
  • By keeping Lewis out and letting George pit, they sacrificed Lewis because he was never going to hold off Max or Charles or George and might not have held of Sainz (not that it mattered due to the penalty).
So why did they do it? The cynic in me says it was because keeping George happy and motivated is more important than Lewis because Lewis is likely leaving at the end of the season and George will become the #1.

The realist in me says the team knew Lewis could not win on Mediums, but George had the slimmest of chances to win on Softs so they took the gamble, even knowing they left Lewis out to dry.

Ferrari's strategy was a shambles, as usual. The engineers called in Sainz way too late for the pit crew to be ready and my guess is the tire warmer for the Left Rear got snagged or the mechanic tripped in the garage with it and that was why it was so late getting out to the car. I do think Ferrari needs a fine for that spare air gun being left outside the pit box, however.

Now even if Ferrari had not screwed Sainz with the pit stop, Sainz screwed himself with that pass of Perez under Yellow when Bottas stopped and likely would have been penalized for it if not for his unsafe release penalty, instead. As for that unsafe release, I am going to give Ferrari a pass on that because that was more down to Sainz being a victim of circumstance as he was so packed in so close behind the McLaren box he needed more time to get out and with the Safety Car bringing the field down the pit lane, that put him in Alonso's way. Still, it was an unsafe release and the penalty was justified.

As for Circuit Zandvoort as a track, it really is a "go cart" track in terms of the sweeps and turns and it did make for some really exciting racing. And if I am honest, I'd rather have a track like it than another street circuit on the calendar.

Last edited:

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Bad form of Lewis. Not even congratulating the winners nor his own team mate in parc ferme. All other drivers went past them and they were all chatting. Sad and childish.

IDK. Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but he was also forced into reliving quite possibly the most traumatic moment in his entire career. Max pitting for softs while he was left out on a SC as lapped cars passed him by with him losing the race.

Considering adrenaline is still running high just minutes after the race, it may be irrational but is still a completely understandable reaction from him. Most people would react very similarly when put in an equivalent situation.

Reactions: Glideslope

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
That was a good race, Sainz should have just stayed in bed this morning lol, he seriously deserves a strong penalty for overtaking under a yellow flag whilst passing the stopped car!

Mercedes took that win from Lewis.

Russel is one day going to cause a serious accident with his stupid driving, he was very very lucky not to hit Lewis with his swerving. He needs to mature a LOT more to be at the front of the grid.

Lando and Alonso had a great battle though.

But another win for Max, RB absolutely nailed the strategy in this one, excellent job by the team. It was like taking candy from a baby passing Lewis on the restart, Lewis had zero chance of holding him off and he knew it.

Onto Monza next! The speed track yes...

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Perhaps he needs to go and put his tea cosy on his head again with his knitted shoes and cardigan?

To be fair though his team did screw him over somewhat there... again.. Russel is certainly the new favourite in the team.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Sure, but it’s not a one way street. I don’t think it’s just his team screwing him over, he did that himself as well. This sport isn’t just about drive in front in the fastest car, it requires strategy of all involved. There seems to be a real communication breakdown.

I really liked seeing the interaction between Max, George and Charles. Nice chatty friendliness. Smart of George as well to acknowledge the crowds as explicitly as he did.

Yes he was a bit close to Lewis, but at least he didn’t make contact unlike Lewis in the first corner again.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Perhaps he needs to go and put his tea cosy on his head again with his knitted shoes and cardigan?

To be fair though his team did screw him over somewhat there... again.. Russel is certainly the new favourite in the team.

I don’t think there is any proof Mercedes’ are favouring George at all. The strategy didn’t work out for Lewis and Mercedes’ clearly messed it up, but that’s racing. Mercedes can’t afford to favour either driver at this point and considering Lewis is a better driver with vastly more experience, they will want to keep Lewis as motivated as possible.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I don’t think there is any proof Mercedes’ are favouring George at all. The strategy didn’t work out for Lewis and Mercedes’ clearly messed it up, but that’s racing. Mercedes can’t afford to favour either driver at this point and considering Lewis is a better driver with vastly more experience, they will want to keep Lewis as motivated as possible.

You can think that if you want, but to me it’s been quite clear who’s strategy is always the better one. They had Lewis’s strategy planned from this morning, I heard Toto say so on his radio call to Lewis.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Personally I think it’s much easier to have a successful strategy when step 1 is “have the fastest car”…

Really? So how does that help Ferrari then? It usually helps to have a wheel and tyre there to put on the car…

Last edited:
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You can think that if you want, but to me it’s been quite clear who’s strategy is always the better one. They had Lewis’s strategy planned from this morning, I heard Toto say so on his radio call to Lewis.

You can think what you want over what you think is the better strategy too. It’s all discussed pre race and Lewis will have known the strategy of him and George. Strategy always changes though as a race develops and I’d imagine Lewis expected Mercedes’ to adapt to the conditions. Favouritism is completely irrelevant and highly nonsensical at this point, otherwise Mercedes’ might as well sack their most successful driver and marketing figure right now. It’s bollocks really.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Really? So how does that help Ferrari then? It usually helps to have a wheel and tyre there to put in the car…
Exactly ☝️

Ferrari need to hire this lady and change the top.

44D75B75-CBA9-41A6-9855-080A87D77D09.jpeg

They’ve had too many chances to not mess up and they keep doing it. I guess they are consistent at least. Let’s hope they do well next weekend.

I’m looking forward to a weeks break after that one. I can do with a rest. Way too exciting.

Reactions: Pezimak

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Personally I think it’s much easier to have a successful strategy when step 1 is “have the fastest car”…

One thing I have learned from the last 2 years is you have to discredit a driver in regards to their talent if they happen to have a really good car. It seems to be the modus operandi 101 of a Drive to Survive fan these days.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
The full race isn’t shown on tv and I don’t have time on a Sunday to watch something for 2 hours these days. Highlights are fine and you get all the best bits without the dull laps usually.
No dull laps in this one. And it gives you the opportunity to see what actually went on opposed to just the headlines by whoever made the summary. But for sure if you don’t have the time then you you have the time.

Did you watch any full race? Or just drive to survive and the highlights? I mean you seem to be very negative and outspoken towards others for someone who actually doesn’t watch it themselves. 🤷‍♂️

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No dull laps in this one. And it gives you the opportunity to see what actually went on opposed to just the headlines by whoever made the summary. But for sure if you don’t have the time then you you have the time.

Did you watch any full race? Or just drive to survive and the highlights? I mean you seem to be very negative and outspoken towards others for someone who actually doesn’t watch it themselves.
I used to watch full races before I had a family yes but in the last 7 or so years I’ve caught what I can. I tend to either read about races, or watch highlights usually as it fits in with my lifestyle. I’m not negative towards others for watching the live races as that’s a rather strange suggestion in all honesty. I’ll watch live races if they are shown in tv like Silverstone or the last race of the season as I make a special effort on occasion. I don’t have to watch every single lap of every race to have an opinion on what is going on the sport either, as I said I read plenty and have participated on Autosports forum for just shy of 25 years. I worked in F1 briefly too on a project after finishing my A-Levels so I’ve been a fan for perhaps 35 years now.

You’re particularly negative towards me here since I have my opinion on last years Abu Dhabi GP. You’ve even had a dig about Peugeot drivers in this thread and suggested people who own them are ‘uninteresting MR and Mrs Averages’. Nice comment since a couple of days before that is told you on another thread my wife owns a Peugeot 3008. I don’t believe you made that comment for any other reason than to take a juvenile dig at me. You’ve just asked me if I just watch ‘Drive to Survive’ when I think I’ve made it completely clear I don’t as I dislike the impact it’s had on F1’s fanbase many times. Nice bit of stirring there. For anybody else, if I appear negative at times, sorry, I have a lot of grief in my family and inner circles at the moment and I’m not on top of the world. To you if I appear negative, then tough. I don’t like you recently if I’m honest. I used to enjoy your posts about your Range Rover and golf gti a while back and thought you were a decent guy.

Reactions: ericwn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So some tough strategy calls, and bad timing of the VSC and SC robbed us of a much more exciting race. Lewis was gaining on Max. Then it all went mad!
Lewis could have swapped to softs, but decided track position was key.
I’d have expected him to keep Max at bay for a little longer, but Max and RB are miles ahead of the rest.
Perez also played his part in keeping Lewis behind for a bit early on.

How about next weekend we run the Ferrari team? I feel we could do a better job. They are just a shambles. Couldn’t organise a you know what in a brewery.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So some tough strategy calls, and bad timing of the VSC and SC robbed us of a much more exciting race. Lewis was gaining on Max. Then it all went mad!
Lewis could have swapped to softs, but decided track position was key.
I’d have expected him to keep Max at bay for a little longer, but Max and RB are miles ahead of the rest.
Perez also played his part in keeping Lewis behind for a bit early on.

How about next weekend we run the Ferrari team? I feel we could do a better job. They are just a shambles. Couldn’t organise a you know what in a brewery.

I have a horrible feeling this will be Hamilton’s first season in F1 where a win is just not a possibility. Not a bad record though but Red Bull have just done a better job this year. I sincerely hope Mercedes are not wasting too much time on this years car and are taking the positives into the development for 2023. Good drive by George I thought and his call for softs was excellent intuition by him. Looked like a decent race overall and not much more to say about it other than that from what I’ve seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.