Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Yeah almost half the field is taking penalties (9 of 20).

Nice to see LEC on pole on actual pace and not due to penalties or tows. Presuming Ferrari doesn't stuff it up (yeah, I know), I think he can keep Max behind him as Max did not look his usual unconquerable self.

It will be interesting for a while. I think Max has a better race setup. I’d prefer to see Charles get a win. It’s hard enough for Charles and Carlos racing without that “What will happen on my box.” Must add a significant amount of distraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Lol. Like AMG only have enough new parts for one car!

My view is they are putting what little development “parts wise” on George’s car at this point. You can listen to Toto Talk all you want about his Love Fest with Lewis, but clearly as of last week George is the focus for the remainder of 22 and possibly next year as well.

The W13 really needs a clean sheet. It’s simply far to hypersensitive aero wise from track to track. Without drivers of George and Lewis’ level they would be mid pack all day long.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My view is they are putting what little development “parts wise” on George’s car at this point. You can listen to Toto Talk all you want about his Love Fest with Lewis, but clearly as of last week George is the focus for the remainder of 22 and possibly next year as well.

The W13 really needs a clean sheet. It’s simply far to hypersensitive aero wise from track to track. Without drivers of George and Lewis’ level they would be mid pack all day long.

I would imagine Lewis will be fully behind supporting his teammate. There is nothing to play for personally for him other than getting maximum constructors points for the team. The only downside is all the morons at the end of the year who will make more of it than it is. It’s a year to forget for Mercedes’ and I hope Lewis is concentrating on next year at this point and he can support all he likes.

Reactions: ericwn

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I would imagine Lewis will be fully behind supporting his teammate. There is nothing to play for personally for him other than getting maximum constructors points for the team. The only downside is all the morons at the end of the year who will make more of it than it is. It’s a year to forget for Mercedes’ and I hope Lewis is concentrating on next year at this point and he can support all he likes.

Personally I feel Lewis is going to need to see real progress on the 2023 W14 before it’s a guarantee he comes back. The W13 really needs to be a different car by Abu Dhabi even from today. Toto says they understand the Aero now, yet each race is like a new beginning.

Lewis won’t take one for the Team again in 2023 if Mercedes can’t understand the Aero Balance of their designs.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Personally I feel Lewis is going to need to see real progress on the 2023 W14 before it’s a guarantee he comes back. The W13 really needs to be a different car by Abu Dhabi even from today. Toto says they understand the Aero now, yet each race is like a new beginning.

Lewis won’t take one for the Team again in 2023 if Mercedes can’t understand the Aero Balance of their designs.

I wouldn’t blame him if he retired if the car wasn’t a challenger next year. At this point he has nothing to prove and is there for fun. If the package isn’t right, it’s time to move on with life.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I wouldn’t blame him if he retired if the car wasn’t a challenger next year. At this point he has nothing to prove and is there for fun. If the package isn’t right, it’s time to move on with life.

I have have felt for awhile now that his focus has been rapidly drifting more toward Mission 44. I think he could contribute as much being full time Mission 44 as he has in F1. Personally I feel more of a philanthropist fire burning in him than winning #8 as each week goes by.

Its a great foundation that does tremendous work.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have have felt for awhile now that his focus has been rapidly drifting more toward Mission 44. I think he could contribute as much being full time Mission 44 as he has in F1. Personally I feel more of a philanthropist fire burning in him than winning #8 as each week goes by.

Its a great foundation that does tremendous work.

I know a fair amount of the newer fans think he is rubbish, but the fact remains he’s 37 and still as fast as anybody on the grid. Not sure for how long though but he’s in great shape physically. I’d rather he walked away on a high, but also wouldn’t want him in the same situation next season if Merc haven’t got their act together. I know if he won an 8th title next year, he’d likely announce his retirement on the podium lol. That final championship is the goal but I don’t think he needs it as much as he’d like it.

• Haha
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If Lewis still has the fire and desire, then I could easily see him staying even if his chances of another WDC are (IMO) slim now that Max and RBR are ascendent (and will likely remain so until the new rules arrive in 2026). Alonso came back to F1 and Seb did not retire when Ferrari cut him loose as both still had that fire/desire.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO D’ITALIA 2022

vcvaiMG.png

hshDVo8.png

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
LOL Max up in 3rd at the end of first lap already, and second by lapt 5. He is just so different compared to everyone else.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I know a fair amount of the newer fans think he is rubbish, but the fact remains he’s 37 and still as fast as anybody on the grid. Not sure for how long though but he’s in great shape physically. I’d rather he walked away on a high, but also wouldn’t want him in the same situation next season if Merc haven’t got their act together. I know if he won an 8th title next year, he’d likely announce his retirement on the podium lol. That final championship is the goal but I don’t think he needs it as much as he’d like it.
LOL He is nowhere near as fast as anybody on the grid. The results don’t lie.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Norris totally stuffs the start.

Max to second in about two laps, but Charles is keeping him out of DRS range. Sainz is doing really well climbing the field.

I think Perez might have brake issues.

Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If Lewis still has the fire and desire, then I could easily see him staying even if his chances of another WDC are (IMO) slim now that Max and RBR are ascendent (and will likely remain so until the new rules arrive in 2026). Alonso came back to F1 and Seb did not retire when Ferrari cut him loose as both still had that fire/desire.

Yeah he seems sure he’s not ready to retire yet. He may be convinced next years car overcomes the aero issues of this year but we will see. People often forget he’s a decade or more older than his nearest rivals and is still as fast. The Red Bull in the hands of Max is unstoppable this year and it’s amazing to see how quickly the ‘better car’ bollocks has gone away now a different driver has a car clear of the rest so hopefully people are learning as they get experience watching the sport for more than a couple of years. The Italian GP sounds like Max is breezing to the front as we speak, the straight line speed of that Red Bull is pretty awesome and Monza showcases this even if all teams are running low downforce.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
And Lewis somehow storming through the field (admittedly on much better tires) even though he is said to be the slowest driver on the grid... :confused:

LeClerc making little impact on Max so it's another win for Max, but maybe Sainz can pip Russel for 3rd before the end for a dual podium at home.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Everyone pitted under the SC, but there may not be enough time to restart as the McLaren is stuck in gear so the Marshalls cannot move it.

They have a crane out there, but I cannot see them clearing the backmarkers with only two laps left.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Race finishes behind the Safety Car. I'd have liked to have seen a Red Flag and standing restart, but it is what it is.

Max again ascendent, but he is now in full Winning Form and paired with the best car and the best team. He can theoretically lock up the WDC at Singapore.

Ferrari got the strategy right and I think Sainz might have had Russel, but the SC scuppered that. Still, 2nd and 4th at home is a solid result.

Sainz and Lewis up 14 positions at the end. Fantastic run by both. And DeVries finishes 9th for points in his F1 debut.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Nice to see Nyck de Vries get DOD. Great drive by Nyck to finish in the points.
Yes great for him. Another Netherlands super power in the making 🤩

I feel for Charles. My gosh he looked gutted.

Bad form to boo Max from the supporters. I appreciate the frustration but it’s not his fault that it ended under safety car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.