Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Yes great for him. Another Netherlands super power in the making 🤩

I feel for Charles. My gosh he looked gutted.

Bad form to boo Max from the supporters. I appreciate the frustration but it’s not his fault that it ended under safety car.

We will see more and more of this changing behavior by fans as Liberty continues its attempt to NASCAR-IZE F1. Liberty is all about money. Absolutely no interest in history, tradition, and sportsmanship. All they want is drivers that bring big money with them be it a commercial sponsor or private.

But, it is what it is. No going back now. I think 2023 will be more chaotic than this season.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Why did it take so long to declare a SC, then clear the car, then restart the race. These guys couldn’t run a tap in a bathroom!
Yes I guess the result wasn’t really in doubt, but we tune in to watch racing not a precession.
Sainz would have had a podium I think.

At least Ferrari didn’t make any mistakes.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Well that was a silly finish. They should have red flagged that race moved the car and let us have a shoot out for a couple of laps. Wasted opportunity, I figured they would finish behind the safety car when they failed to let all the lapped cars unlap themselves.

If Danny Rick's car didn't fail, Ferrari's strategy threw the win away anyway with such an early pointless stop.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I should also add the Italian fans should be booing the Ferrari strategists if anyone not Max, it is the strategists who have lost them the championship this year with a faster car! Max is so far in front he could win the championship at the next race.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Why did it take so long to declare a SC, then clear the car, then restart the race. These guys couldn’t run a tap in a bathroom!
Yes I guess the result wasn’t really in doubt, but we tune in to watch racing not a precession.

It was a conspiracy to ensure Lewis couldn’t move up a position. 😉

Reactions: Pezimak

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Bad form to boo Max from the supporters. I appreciate the frustration but it’s not his fault that it ended under safety car.

Fans have been booing when their favored home driver has not won for years.

Why did it take so long to declare a SC, then clear the car, then restart the race.

I think the FIA wanted to play it conservative for safety as a re-start with one or two laps remaining might very well have been chaotic and resulted in multiple incidents that would have resulted in another SC and I believe FIA rules still "reset" the grid to what it was a lap or two before the SC so no positions would have changed (all cars would have ended up where they re-stared) and teams would have had big repair bills and drivers might have been injured.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
We will see more and more of this changing behavior by fans as Liberty continues its attempt to NASCAR-IZE F1. Liberty is all about money. Absolutely no interest in history, tradition, and sportsmanship. All they want is drivers that bring big money with them be it a commercial sponsor or private.

But, it is what it is. No going back now. I think 2023 will be more chaotic than this season.
Running a business is all about the money, I have no issue with that. Don't think it is a bad thing at all.

I don't really think it is changing behaviour of fans although a few in this thread seem to have continually point in that direction even when they don't watch it themselves 🤷‍♂️, it has always been there. Sometimes booing is justified, but yesterday that was projected at the wrong person, and fan base.

Yes it didn't show up the circuit well; several times they are just too slow and not in the right place to deal with situations swiftly. They really looked like they couldn't organise a drinks event in a brewery.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Liberty has embraced Social Media, which has allowed Formula One as a sport to synergize with the drivers and teams, who were already on Social Media. So now the entire sport "trends" and the sport has now seen unprecedented fan and media interest which in turn means much more interest in the sport from advertisers and manufacturers (i.e. - Volkswagen).

Now, I am deeply against Social Media so I fully concur and lament the fact that this has amplified the negative elements of the Formula One fanbase, just as it has in every other part of our societies, but those negative elements were always there and were always in the background making noise and acting like asses.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Looks like Albon had a scare in the Operating Room during his appendectomy, suffering "post-operative anesthetic complications which led to respiratory failure" and requiring a visit to Intensive Care. He was re-intubated for a time, but quickly recovered and is expected to be released from the hospital tomorrow.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Looks like Albon had a scare in the Operating Room during his appendectomy, suffering "post-operative anesthetic complications which led to respiratory failure" and requiring a visit to Intensive Care. He was re-intubated for a time, but quickly recovered and is expected to be released from the hospital tomorrow.
Scary. No race this weekend so he has a bit of time to recover.

• Wow
Reactions: pachyderm

fridayxiii

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
I was commiserating with another F1 fan about seeing the race end behind the SC & what a bummer that is. Such a finish leaves you a bit unfulfilled as a fan. But we all know the clusterflop Masi caused last year at Abu Dhabi when he tried to finish the GP with "live" racing.

The commentators mentioned the option of red flagging the race while Danny Ric's car was removed, then run the last 5 laps from a standing start. But another thought, why not implement a NASCAR-like rule, e.g., if the SC or VSC is deployed during the final lap, then automatically run two additional laps at full-speed when clear? I guess one problem might be the fuel, since teams load just enough petrol to complete the race + the minimum needed for post-race weigh-in. But add another kilo or three so you don't run out of gas at the end and this might make for better end-of-race action in the event the super-late SC/VSC comes out.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Oh no! Must have been allergic or something. Glad he’s ok. I like Alex he’s a nice guy. At least it’s out now so won’t bother him again.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I was commiserating with another F1 fan about seeing the race end behind the SC & what a bummer that is. Such a finish leaves you a bit unfulfilled as a fan. But we all know the clusterflop Masi caused last year at Abu Dhabi when he tried to finish the GP with "live" racing.

The commentators mentioned the option of red flagging the race while Danny Ric's car was removed, then run the last 5 laps from a standing start. But another thought, why not implement a NASCAR-like rule, e.g., if the SC or VSC is deployed during the final lap, then automatically run two additional laps at full-speed when clear? I guess one problem might be the fuel, since teams load just enough petrol to complete the race + the minimum needed for post-race weigh-in. But add another kilo or three so you don't run out of gas at the end and this might make for better end-of-race action in the event the super-late SC/VSC comes out.
Yes they wouldn’t have enough fuel. Personally I’d prefer a red flag and run the remaining laps after the car is recovered.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
With the FIA indicating it was not open to granting Colton Herta an exception to secure an F1 Super License, Alpha Tauri has decided not to pursue his services for the 2023 season. Instead, he will continue in IndyCar with Andretti Motorsport.

With Herta off the table, Alpha Tauri looks to retain Gasly for 2023 unless Alpine makes them a deal they can't refuse. If they do, then AT will look outside the Red Bull Junior Driver Program for a replacement. So looks like Tsunoda is safe for another year.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
As F1 is all I watch when it comes to sports, a bigger calendar appeals to me since I have more to watch.

That being said, I do believe the FIA, FOM and the teams should work on trying to reduce the number of "fly-away" races as:
  1. It's inefficient shipping all that freight and runs counter to F1's "green push";
  2. A fair bit of the freight is sent by sea, I believe, and I expect that requires the teams to make multiples of many items because they need to be on multiple ships going to multiple events;
  3. It's expensive to air freight "emergency spares" to the events;
  4. It's stressful on the drivers and staff;
Looking at the first six races, you have two in the Middle East, then they "fly-away" to Australia, then to China, then to Azerbijan, then Miami and then they start the the "European Tour". So that is three races in the same general area (Bahrain, Saudi and Baku) with three races with long travel distances (Australia, China, Miami).

With the "European Tour" you have three EU races, then one "fly-away" to Canada, and then back for six more EU races before jetting off to Singapore and Japan. Why not move Imola up two weeks to Miami's date and run Miami the week before or after Canada? And swap China with Qatar's date, so you can do four races in the Middle East and three (Singapore, Japan, China) in Asia?

Austin, Mexico, Sao Paulo and Las Vegas are geographically close enough to be fine where they are and Abu Dhabi pays a mint to be the Season Finale, so...

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
latifi.png

Finally

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
He kept them afloat at a time they needed it but it’s now time for a batter racing driver to be in that seat. The question now is who will they go for? We’ll see.

I would expect Nyck de Vries to be on their short list since he is a Mercedes driver and he scored points for them subbing for Albon at Monza.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I would expect Nyck de Vries to be on their short list since he is a Mercedes driver and he scored points for them subbing for Albon at Monza.

I realise he is the obvious choice based on his debut performance but we never know in F1. It could end up being Schumacher or Ricciardo depending on the deals. We know from experience the best option isn’t always the viable one.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I realise he is the obvious choice based on his debut performance but we never know in F1. It could end up being Schumacher or Ricciardo depending on the deals. We know from experience the best option isn’t always the viable one.
Like I said I’m available. I only work Monday to Friday so I can drive at the weekend. I don’t need to practice. I’m already a top driver (in my head!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.