Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I AM more annoyed at Sky being awarded exclusivity again for the coverage. Putting it behind a VERY expensive contract locked paywall for several more years.

I might go back to doing an IPTV type thing as I had all the Sky channels for a few years and never paid more than a hundred quid for the year and it included HD content. I didn’t renew it a couple of years back as I wasn’t really watching the sports that much anyway but at least I could record races. The downside is having the annoying characters on Sky like Brundle, Herbert and Kravitz but hey. My father in law uses a hacked setup as he was paying £90 a month at one point! So many people in my area are watching hacked versions of Sky so I may look into it around Christmas time.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Horner is just as bad. In situations like this we tend to condemn those we don’t like as much and excuse the favourites and I’m guilty of this as much as you.

Yes, as I said it's not the complaints, they always do that, it's the constant moaning they all do after in all their interviews. And they all do that. But as I said it's mental games at the end of the day like any other sport.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I might go back to doing an IPTV type thing as I had all the Sky channels for a few years and never paid more than a hundred quid for the year and it included HD content. I didn’t renew it a couple of years back as I wasn’t really watching the sports that much anyway but at least I could record races. The downside is having the annoying characters on Sky like Brundle, Herbert and Kravitz but hey. My father in law uses a hacked setup as he was paying £90 a month at one point! So many people in my area are watching hacked versions of Sky so I may look into it around Christmas time.

I'll stick to my VPN and F1TV app for now, it's paid till mid next year I think? But if I can use a hacked version of Sky I would, let me know if you work it out as I did look but couldn't see how it's done exactly.
I laughed at Sky showing its 'record numbers' of U.K. viewers this week, yeah ignoring the fact Sky is the only 'official' way of watching F1 in the U.K.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'll stick to my VPN and F1TV app for now, it's paid till mid next year I think? But if I can use a hacked version of Sky I would, let me know if you work it out as I did look but couldn't see how it's done exactly.
I laughed at Sky showing its 'record numbers' of U.K. viewers this week, yeah ignoring the fact Sky is the only 'official' way of watching F1 in the U.K.

I’ll let you know when I get details.

Record numbers for Sky no doubt but when we consider when F1 was on the BBC it was regularly pulling in 5M-9M on a regular basis. These deals killed the popularity of F1 in the UK despite what they claim. I remember when MotoGP was pulling in 1.5M-2M on FTA and then was sold to BT Sport where the first few races were getting less than 80K

Sky must be seeing a drop in subscribers at the moment with the cost of living crisis whether they admit that or not.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Just watched the qualifying, yeah a bit late lol. But that Q3 was on fire! Fantastic to watch. RB screwed up big time! They could have snatched pole. At least fingers crossed it keeps the championship open if only for one more race.

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
If Latifi retires from F1, the safety car also retires.

Is Latifi the record holder for triggering the safety car?

What will the safety car do when Latifi is gone?

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
The problem is if it goes unpunished, then it’s not actually a rule. I’m not expecting the result of 2021 to be changed, nor would I want that, but if Red Bull and Aston Martin have exceeded the cost cap, I’d like to see them discredited. It is cheating after all.
Resetting their points to zero for the season will fix that behaviour for next year.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Even if they do decide to hit him with one, I would expect it would be a five second penalty since passing under the Safety Car is a ten second and this is less egregious. And RBR were looking at a 5+ second cushion for Perez, so they would be expecting the same.

And with Checco finishing almost 8 seconds ahead of LeClerc, he would still keep the win.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Some exciting racing at the front the last 20min. some good stuff between Max, Lewis, and Seb for a bit.

Drive of his career for Sergio. Very happy for him. Great points results for McLaren as a team.

Another P1 for the RB18/HONDA. 👍

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Perez drove amazing. Really well done keeping the lead the full time. And that push for the extra time buffer was incredible.

Lol starting at 8th and finishing at 7th doesn’t really tell the story of the race Max had. He worked for it very hard.

Unlucky for Lewis to miss it at the end and let Max go past. He also did well in those conditions.

Maclaren must be very pleased as well.

All in all was a great race.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Didn’t really enjoy the race. Qualifying was better. Not enough overtakes. As soon as you came off the racing line it was very wet. Normally a track would dry out quicker than that.
I wonder how much Williams will improve next year without Latifi. They must spend half their budget just on spares for his car.

• Haha

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Perez drove amazing. Really well done keeping the lead the full time. And that push for the extra time buffer was incredible.

Lol starting at 8th and finishing at 7th doesn’t really tell the story of the race Max had. He worked for it very hard.

Unlucky for Lewis to miss it at the end and let Max go past. He also did well in those conditions.

Maclaren must be very pleased as well.

All in all was a great race.
yup

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
Some exciting racing at the front the last 20min. some good stuff between Max, Lewis, and Seb for a bit.

Drive of his career for Sergio. Very happy for him. Great points results for McLaren as a team.

Another P1 for the RB18/HONDA. 👍

Perez drive of his career? Perez is driving a car that is much better than everyone else. It is the expectation that he wins if Max fails.

Perez his win in the Force India was the drive of his career.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Max Lewis and Seb had a great little battle at the end. Best bit of an otherwise rather dull race? Mainly due to the wet causing them to be a bit train like.
And that has to be the latest call I've seen for a penalty, and if they just gave him 5 seconds why on earth did they wait so long? Just issue it already. Not that it changed the result. I do wonder though if his pit crew told him if he was that far back as he must not have realised?

Really gutted for Alonso. He was holding Max up a treat.

As DRS was off the entire race did you guys prefer it or not? I'm split personally.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Perez drive of his career? Perez is driving a car that is much better than everyone else. It is the expectation that he wins if Max fails.

The Ferrari is faster though. Hence it put qualifies RB regularly. Still I agree with his best drive being at Force India.

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
The Ferrari is faster though. Hence it put qualifies RB regularly. Still I agree with his best drive being at Force India.

Ferrari is only faster in qualifying mode. But being fast in qualifying is pointless when your car is slower in the race.

Red Bull has by far the best car in the race, which is what matters in the end.

My guess is that Ferrari has a fuel efficiency problem. They can do very well in qualifying over 1 lap, but in the race they need to turn down the power in order to make it till the end of the race, while Red Bull can probably run with more power during the race.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

It’s faster in qualifying from what I have seen but with heavy fuel and overall in a race distance it’s not as fast as the Red Bull’s the majority of the time this season. With the mistakes Ferrari have made this year they should be closer though than they are.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

Fair point.

I don't remember if that was due to lots of attrition or not though. To me that would factor in a bit.

But winning with Force India is impressive.

That drive yesterday though in all that mess and then he had to stretch the gap to avoid the possible penalty... that's pretty special.

Also, I don't believe that he's supposed to win as much as Max is... Checo is the fail safe as all #2 drivers are.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Fair point.

I don't remember if that was due to lots of attrition or not though. To me that would factor in a bit.

But winning with Force India is impressive.

That drive yesterday though in all that mess and then he had to stretch the gap to avoid the possible penalty... that's pretty special.

Also, I don't believe that he's supposed to win as much as Max is... Checo is the fail safe as all #2 drivers are.

Hamilton was absent due to Covid but he still beat Bottas and Russell in the superior Mercedes convincingly from what I remember.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.