Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Due to rain. So that will suit Max. If it’s dry that will suit Max.
Ferrari will put new slicks on the lap before it starts to rain.
Latifi will find something to drive into.
Alonso v Hamilton at the start could be fun!

So funny because it's so true lol. Oh Ferrari, what could have been this year.
Was it Latifi who took a wrong turn and drove off the track the other day? And blamed the car for 'turning it too quick' or something? 🤣😂

Ah here we go yes it was 🤣😂

Still better a dead end then a wall or another car.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Daniel Ricciardo has confirmed he will not be seeking an F1 drive in 2023 (since his only possible options are HAAS and Williams) and will instead look for opportunities in 2024.

Not surprising. He really hasn't gelled with the McLaren.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Due to rain. So that will suit Max. If it’s dry that will suit Max.
Ferrari will put new slicks on the lap before it starts to rain.
Latifi will find something to drive into.
Alonso v Hamilton at the start could be fun!
Well now I don't have to stay up and watch!

Thanks!

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Daniel Ricciardo has confirmed he will not be seeking an F1 drive in 2023 (since his only possible options are HAAS and Williams) and will instead look for opportunities in 2024.

I'm afraid that is it for Daniel, I hope I'm wrong. To me he just looks likes he has given up and can't snap out of it. No team boss would want him, but despite that there are worse in my opinion with a seat. If he wants to stay and be relevant he needs to take humble pie, a huge pay cut and find his hunger and show what he's made off. Taking time out won't do that, bad news doesn't age well...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Wet Standing Start and expected to rain all race so it will be Intermediates, though they suffer from high degradation so lots of pit stops are expected.

There is some concern the weather may get worse and if they have to Red Flag for weather, they may run out of daytime to re-start.

The race has to reach 75% distance for full points and Max needs 26 points (race win plus Fastest Lap) to secure the WDC today.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Red Flag thrown on Lap 3 due to no visibility due to the spray and intensifying rain.

Sainz and Albon already out due to crashes due to aquaplaning.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Re-start suspended due to the rain intensifying so I am heading to bed. As only one lap was run before the Safety Car, at the moment no points will be rewarded if the race is not restarted.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
They should have just continued and actually race and deal with it. Probably come in quickly to change to wets. It’s boring now, total wash out. Japan doesn’t show themselves well, no lights, slow to recover, tracktors on the track whilst there are still F1 cars. And super excited crowds sitting waiving the flags. LOL Big party.

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
Mercedes really have a weak engine this year.

If Alonso was driving that car he’d be screaming GP2 engine.

• Haha

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
So Max is WDC now.

Let’s be honest, Charles is fighting against Perez for 2nd place, not for the WDC.

So not sure of the narrative of Charles vs Max, when it is Charles vs Perez.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yay Max World Champion again! Amazing race by him.

Also amazing job by Perez and Oco fantastic driving by those two.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
The race is on now! Brilliant, it’s 9:39 AM here so I can watch it with my breakfast.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
Nvm, just read why full points are being awarded. If those are the rules, I guess those are the rules.

Pretty confusing as even Max was confused thinking he was not supposed to get full points.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I do think Suzuka needs to be taken off the calendar for next year to give them time to sort these tractors out that keep finding themselves on the circuit or at circuits edge. It’s totally unacceptable and the circuit management clearly haven’t learned any lessons. We don’t see this at any other circuit

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I do think Suzuka needs to be taken off the calendar for next year to give them time to sort these tractors out that keep finding themselves on the circuit or at circuits edge. It’s totally unacceptable and the circuit management clearly haven’t learned any lessons. We don’t see this at any other circuit

Everytime they race there now I think of Jules Bianchi ...

Graphic content:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Congratulations to Honda. WCC locked up for all intensive purposes on their home track. You may not be able to produce enough Passenger Vehicles these days, but dam, can you help RBPT build a PU.

Hats off to Masashi Yamamoto and his “Team of Consultants.” 😉

Dominating drive by Max, stupid blunder by Charles at the end, only delaying the inevitable though. Congratulations to Sergio on P2.

Hoping 2023 is less Political, but braced for another season of F1 Drama lead by Liberty Media.

Reactions: Pezimak

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Everytime they race there now I think of Jules Bianchi ...

Graphic content:

RIP.

Yes the WC was a real let down this year wasn’t it. Never really in doubt. Then a penalty for Charles (correctly in my mind), gives Max the title. Seemed they were all in the dark about the points at the end!

Also I was wrong about Latifi. He actually made the points!

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
RIP.

Yes the WC was a real let down this year wasn’t it. Never really in doubt. Then a penalty for Charles (correctly in my mind), gives Max the title. Seemed they were all in the dark about the points at the end!

Also I was wrong about Latifi. He actually made the points!
No you weren't. A blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while...

I'd truy love to see him replaced before the season ends. Mick too...

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just finished the recording of the race (glad I went to bed as it would not have restarted until 12:30AM).

Once they let them go, it actually got interesting with some solid battles behind Max, who put in a drive fully worthy of a now two-time World Champion. And glad they made it far enough in to award points down to 9th so Vettel and Latifi get the full benefit of being able to come in for Inters at the re-start. And HAAS had no choice but to keep Mick out until he dropped out of the points when he reached 10th place.

Strong defense by LEC until the last corner, but the Casio Triangle has seen more than one WDC won or lost over the years.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
So having worked with race control in a few series, I have to correct a few things here. (Sorry, I'm not being a dick, but there's a LOT of misconceptions and misinformation being posted on Twitter, which has made is hard for fans to see what actually happened - I'm not aiming this at you, so I apologise if it seems I am! Also, I used to do emergency response - so procedures in these situations are kinda my thing).

Firstly Suzuka management having nothing do with recovery vehicle deployment. This is controlled by the Race Director - which today was Eduardo Fraitis, who has successfully run the Le Mans and WEC race controls for decades now. He was parachuted in after last years mess with Michael Masi. Eduardo deployed the safety vehicle.

Secondly, we see vehicles on the circuit every week at every circuit. Look back at Monza and recovery of Danniel Riccardos car. That went completely fine under safety car conditions. In fact, how would you possibly recover a car if you can't do it under safety car? You'd need to red flag every every time a car went off. You can't do that.

So what was the difference between Suzuka and Monza? And why was today more dangerous? The answer was Gasly broke the rules. To work out why this was a problem we need to look at the order of events.

1 - The crash happens. Sainz goes off, debris comes on track, Gasly collects the advertising board and damages the front wing.
2 - Safety car is deployed before the end of the lap. The circuit is now neutralised and cars have to slow.
3 - The recovery vehicle is sent onto the track with the marshals
4 - Gasly pits to repair the damage. As this is a nose replacement, it's a long stop
5 - The field bunches behind the safety car and slows
6 - Gasly exits the pits, but has a large gap to the field
7 - The field slows and passes the accident zone - the zone is covered by double waved yellow flags and the field is informed to stay to the right hand side of the track by the race director
8 - As Gasly is approaching the accident zone, the red flag flies - the light box he is passing goes red, and the red light appears on his dashboard
9 - Gasly, at racing speed, passes the accident zone whilst trying to catch field, and is surprised by the recovery vehicle.

So the first problem is Gasly has pitted, which has left him behind the pack. This isn't a major issue, but he has to close the gap. The second issue is that Gasly doesn't appear to have been informed of by his team of the race directors instructions to stay to the right hand side of the track due to the vehicle being on the track. The fourth problem is that Gasly has forgotten about the accident zone - which is remarkable, because he was involved in it. The fifth problem is that Gasly ignored the double waved yellow flag entering the zone - double waved yellow flags mean slow down and be prepared to stop. Gasly did not slow down. And the sixth and final problem is Gasly did not see or react to the red flag until he was well beyond the accident zone.

Whilst it does appear at a glance to be the race director who made a mistake, they didn't. They did the same thing as every race and mobilised recovery as soon as the field was neutralised. The problem is Gasly ignored the track status. He was doing 250kmh (155 mph) through the accident zone, without lifting for a yellow. That, is absolutely unacceptable, and why Gasly has been given a 20 second penalty.

There is also a few people asking how/what do other series do to cope with this - the answer is the exact same as F1 did today. The difference is how these series police the drivers. WEC, Creventic and NLS have had VSC for years before F1, and even include slow zones where cars are required to slow between marshal posts. If a driver violates a yellow flag in the way Gasly did today they are often disqualified, and in more extreme cases, have their racing license removed and are forced to reapply for it (see: NLS, N24).

Race control did nothing wrong. Gasly was at fault for not obeying the yellow and red flag status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.