Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
They need to factor his wage in though and this would have been known before development for 2021 began.

The point of contention is that if he is a direct employee of RBR, his wages are not part of the cost cap. If he is not, then his wages are part of the cap.

So say he is still paid £25 million - RBR believes they can spend up to £145 million on everything else and be within the cap. The FIA believes they can only spend up to £120 million on everything else and be within the cap.

If RBR spent £125 million on everything else then they would be £20 million under the cap in their view and £5 million over the cap in the FIA's view.

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
So anyone knows when they finish this entire investigation?

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
FIA are negotiating with RBR over their punishment. They really are a toothless organisation.
Its how grownups deal with issues. Especially those that leave room for interpretation. Happens anywhere with anything in the world...Well except for the online cancel culture activates...

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Its how grownups deal with issues. Especially those that leave room for interpretation. Happens anywhere with anything in the world...Well except for the online cancel culture activates...
Absolutely disagree with this. This is not how sporting punishments are dealt with. You break a rule and there are defined punishments, which are then dished out by a governing body. Teams don't get to negotiate 5 second penalties down live during the race - they are told what the punishment is and they can either appeal or accept it. If the appeal fails, they get the penalty (and often more).

There are only two times in Formula One history where a team has been allowed to decide its own punishment for a rules violation. The first was Saudi Arabia in 2021, where Michael 'YOLO' Masi negotiated live on TV with Christian Horner on what penalty he would like to receive. The second is the FIA negotiating with Red Bull about what penalty is appropriate for a cost cap violation.

McLaren did not get to negotiate Spygate. BAR did not get to negotiate the fuel tank issue. Nobody gets to say "Well lets be grown ups, I think we deserve less".

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
FIA are negotiating with RBR over their punishment. They really are a toothless organisation.

I remember during the latter part of 2021 the FIA negotiating during a race over the radio with Horner about what type of punishment Red Bull wanted. That was something I’d never witnessed in 35 years of watching F1. I think the governing body just need to decide on what rules are rules and fix a suitable punishment that applies to all participants. When the cost cap was introduced there must have been a decision on what to do in the event a team cheats by exceeding it, whether it’s just over it or vastly exceeding it.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I remember during the latter part of 2021 the FIA negotiating during a race over the radio with Horner about what type of punishment Red Bull wanted. That was something I’d never witnessed in 35 years of watching F1. I think the governing body just need to decide on what rules are rules and fix a suitable punishment that applies to all participants. When the cost cap was introduced there must have been a decision on what to do in the event a team cheats by exceeding it, whether it’s just over it or vastly exceeding it.
Indeed - it was Saudi Arabia, regarding Max making up places whilst off the circuit. Because the race was then red flagged it allowed Masi time to negotiate with Horner on what the punishment should be. The result was not only Red Bull deciding their own punishment, but also the grid being setup in an order which had literally never happened during the race.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Of course they are. They base decisions after consulting with Liberty as to the impact on media revenue and fan base reaction.

Any other position based from the purchase of F1 by Liberty is naive. This goes far deeper and is far more nefarious than the “The Old Days” of Ferrari whining only to be bailed out by Bernie.

RBR will receive a minimal penalty in WCC points, verbal reprimand, and a small reduction in their 2023 Cap.

2023 will be an FIA Circus once again. Every decision now must factor in the revenue stream flowing into F1. Equity is a secondary component.

Regardless, the RB18 Will be seen as the greatest design of the Hybrid Era if not all time.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
The 2023 Mercedes after they "misinterpret" the cost cap.

ikarus-spaceship-concept-031.jpg

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Ummm...I predict it will be one of the top two qualifiers.

Yes, I am really going out on a limb there, but I like to live dangerously. :)
it could even be someone who doesn't qualify at the top, seems to be happening quite often this season...But has the race pace :)

Perhaps it could be him...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Red Bull continues to claim they are not in breach and because they provided the audit documentation to the FIA, my guess is they are of the opinion the FIA's interpretation of that document is in error.

Because the FIA's information comes from the team, if the FIA imposes penalties, RBR likely has grounds to appeal. So the FIA has presented RBR with an Accepted Breach Agreement which outlines how much the FIA feels RBR is over the 2021 Cost Cap and the penalty to be applied (the details of which are not known at this time).

RBR can either accept this ABA or they can decline, at which point the complaint is referred to an adjudication panel which will decide what punishment to hand them if they are considered to have overspent. So RBR might decline the ABA depending on what penalties the FIA is offering and see if they can convince the panel that they are not in violation of the cap.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
No it’s not. You set rules and if you break rules you are GIVEN a punishment. Not negotiate one!
Nope it is really not. Arbitrage, negotiations, compromises are all part of it. Thing everywhere are hardly ever black and white. And not just in a corporate setting and disputes around interpretations but even on a private/public sector. Even things as “simple” as speeding offended have different treatments and options for people.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Nope it is really not. Arbitrage, negotiations, compromises are all part of it. Thing everywhere are hardly ever black and white. And not just in a corporate setting and disputes around interpretations but even on a private/public sector. Even things as “simple” as speeding offended have different treatments and options for people.
In sport their are rules. If you break them there is a penalty. It’s pretty universal. But clearly you see things differently.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
In sport their are rules. If you break them there is a penalty. It’s pretty universal. But clearly you see things differently.

Of course there are rules. However, it’s really who you are, and who you know that determines the penalty. It’s 2022. All Sporting is about money.

The “Honest Broker” has left the room with Elvis.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Timings are terrible for Europe though. Highlights of qualifying are on Sunday morning. The race is on 12:30 Sunday night. Just as well I’m off Monday!

This is a race I miss the highlights for usually due to the stupid time it’s put on TV. I’ll know all the results by Monday so it’ll be a waste of my time watching it on catchup. Imagine how many more viewers they’d have if the live race was on tv? Nuts it’s still this way in 2022.

Reactions: Glideslope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.