Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I think you underestimate Adrain. 10% reduction simply means he works an extra 20min each day. 😏. RBR wont be effected by this and the FIA has opened the door for more teams to follow the same route next year.

The FIA is a joke. Liberty and the Sponsors call the shots.

We shall see, considering as they won the constructors this year they have the least amount of wind tunnel time out of all the teams anyway. The FIA wouldn’t include it as a punishment if it didn’t punish the teams.
Also let’s remember, RB didn’t go over that 5% threshold, if a team does then the punishments are much more severe. F1 teams cheat all the time though if they can get away with it, so what’s new?

Reactions: Glideslope

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Well dang.

I was hoping one of the Mercedes guys would get pole...

Oh well, at least we won't waste time watching Ferrari squander that spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Well dang.

I was hoping one of the Mercedes guys would get pole...

Oh well, at least we won't waste time watching Ferrari squander that spot.
Mercedes looked strong out there, as did several of the other teams. Ferrari seemed totally forgettable to me, lol I literally can't remember after watching it live.

But Max, yet again, did it. Another pole position. But quite a sprint until that first corner. Let's hope Mercedes doesn't use their tap technique again ;) Checo looking strong as well.

Looking forward to tonight 8pm GMT

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think the Red Bull overspend highlights just how good Hamilton was in 2021, and something I’ve seen being highlighted. Lewis clawed back a significant points advantage and had won the championship until that huge stroke of luck gifted to Red Bull by Michael Massi. The whole cheating thing being uncovered now just further discredits that season and somewhat this one as it leaves a sour taste in the mouths of teams that developed within the budget envelope. Still, they’ve been punished and exposed so that’s something at least.

Another race though that’s on too late and I never did get around to watching the highlights last week, oops. I suppose Channel 4 need a few hours to process the highlights programme as 12.30am is just too late when it’s a Sunday and work the next day.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I think the Red Bull overspend highlights just how good Hamilton was in 2021, and something I’ve seen being highlighted. Lewis clawed back a significant points advantage and had won the championship until that huge stroke of luck gifted to Red Bull by Michael Massi. The whole cheating thing being uncovered now just further discredits that season and somewhat this one as it leaves a sour taste in the mouths of teams that developed within the budget envelope. Still, they’ve been punished and exposed so that’s something at least.

Another race though that’s on too late and I never did get around to watching the highlights last week, oops. I suppose Channel 4 need a few hours to process the highlights programme as 12.30am is just too late when it’s a Sunday and work the next day.
It was only £432K and demonstrable not in areas of car development. Also clearly stated that was no wilful wrong doing nor with intend to gain advantage. Perpetuating this myth about cheating and wrong doing is just silly and out of touch with reality in my opinion.

• Love
Reactions: Pezimak

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
In a sport which is all about marginal gains, Red Bull should have been stripped of the championship. The same thing happens also in other sports.

There are even athletes in other sports who got disqualified for using regular over the counter painkillers which have no performance enhancing effects based on actual science.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
In a sport which is all about marginal gains, Red Bull should have been stripped of the championship. The same thing happens also in other sports.

There are even athletes in other sports who got disqualified for using regular over the counter painkillers which have no performance enhancing effects based on actual science.
And those options are available where appropriate as agreed by all the teams and the FIA. The scenario here doesn’t even come close to fitting in that category when examining the facts. Surely that is a good thing that that has been established and that there was no intent nor gain behind it.

Personally I think it’s quite a severe punishment considering how small the breach was.

Tried by the court of public opinion and cancel culture is never a good idea. I much prefer verifiable facts.

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
And those options are available where appropriate as agreed by all the teams and the FIA. The scenario here doesn’t even come close to fitting in that category when examining the facts. Surely that is a good thing that that has been established and that there was no intent nor gain behind it.

Personally I think it’s quite a severe punishment considering how small the breach was.

Tried by the court of public opinion and cancel culture is never a good idea. I much prefer verifiable facts.

Red Bull won the championship by cheating and no amount of excuses will change that fact. It’s a bad look for F1 that they allow this to happen.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Red Bull won the championship by cheating and no amount of excuses will change that fact. It’s a bad look for F1 that they allow this to happen.
As an opinion I recognise that many seem to agree with you when looking at social media. However the facts are simply not supporting that point of view. I guess we will never agree on that.

Reactions: Pezimak

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just watched the qualifying highlights. Mercedes’ were close but not quite there. Hope they can both get the jump on Max at the start. Otherwise he’ll just drive off.
Lots of support for Perez, but don’t think I can see a podium from him. Ferrari just not on it. Handling all over the place.
Good effort from Bottas mixing it up with the big boys.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Lewis winning and Max DNFing at Silverstone is when the 2021 WDC swung towards Lewis so I honestly don't see how RBR spending an extra half million GBP made any real difference to the end results in the WDC or, especially, the WCC.

Massi is the one who handed Max his first title, not the RBR accountants.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Lewis winning and Max DNFing at Silverstone is when the WDC swung towards Lewis so I honestly don't see how RBR spending an extra half million GBP made any real difference to the end results in the WDC or WCC.

Lewis was well behind in the points in the races after that and in the second half of the season pulled it back to go level on points into the last round. Silverstone helped but you’ve got to be in it to win it and Max didn’t finish that race. Half a million buys you 5 engineers extra and up to half a second a lap so it’s significant enough to be worthy of punishment.

Hopefully Lewis will get the jump on Max at the start today and George gets feisty with him in the opening corners. It would be nice to see a Mercedes win at last as they certainly deserve it this year with the progress they’ve made.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Max was in the lead all race. Beautifully done. Mercedes thought they could do it with a different strategy but nope. Huge difference. Checo third place, shame he didn’t get Lewis.

Daniel; wow what a performance.

But congrats to Max, breaking the record for most wins in a season. Super.

Nice party for him later with the other Dutch giant Martin Garrix.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Lewis was well behind in the points in the races after that and in the second half of the season pulled it back to go level on points into the last round. Silverstone helped but you’ve got to be in it to win it and Max didn’t finish that race. Half a million buys you 5 engineers extra and up to half a second a lap so it’s significant enough to be worthy of punishment.

Hopefully Lewis will get the jump on Max at the start today and George gets feisty with him in the opening corners. It would be nice to see a Mercedes win at last as they certainly deserve it this year with the progress they’ve made.
It might do in theory but the overspend wasn’t in that category at all. The budgets were broken down and there simply was no competitive advance. That has been made very clear.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I’d like to blame Lewis‘s chance being decapitated by the Hard Tire choice. As this was a monumental miscalculation by Mercedes. I also didn’t like George’s Engineer constantly telling him “you’re on the right tire, RB will fall off any minute now.” Clearly feeding George ******** and he knew it. They should have let him come in for softs when he wanted to. Ricardo was showing the performance of the soft in the cooling track temps.

However, looking at the Mediums at the end on the RB18 I can see why Mercedes threw that Hail Mary.

Max could have done another 5 laps on those if he needed to push. Was almost too easy. Not much of a race after Turn 1.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yes, it was a super calculated drive from Max. And a flawless performance, don't think it should be underestimated how hard it is to be in the lead, keep that pace, and lap everyone, whilst not making mistakes. And calculated as you could see him clearly manage his tyres. Wasn't building up too much of a gap with Lewis at all, but like when he got closer to DRS territory he then stepped it up again.

Not sure what happened to Checo. He had the pace but then just dropped off 4s, didn't look like he made a mistake.

Also didn't get Lewis winching about Max getting away from him during the VSC. I mean Max was 17s ahead, and then when it ended he was only 14s ahead. Lewis doesn't seem to get reality of what he did, and hit pit crew doesn't correct him.

Nevertheless the booing by the Mexican audience towards Lewis was not nice, even though I get it...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Looked like an easy win for Max, that car is almost perfect this year and he looks like he’s enjoying how dominant it is. Congrats to Lewis on a well deserved second place, as that’s the best he’s likely to get this year. Mercedes have a lot of ground to make up and not just with the car. I can’t see them getting a win from the remaining races, that Red Bull doesn’t even look like it’s turned up fully and looks like there’s plenty left.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I stayed up to watch the highlights. Wasn’t the best race. As you say Mercedes made the wrong tyre choice.
Shame.
Yup, they made the classic mistake trying to bank that Red Bull got it wrong opposed to focussing on the feedback from their drivers and getting it right themselves. This circuit really seemed to suit their cars, if they applied a different strategy I think they could have been in with a chance...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So now we know why Max and RBR team members were not part of Sky's coverage of the Mexican Grand Prix - the team banned access to them after Ted Kravitz made multiple comments during his coverage at the USGP of Lewis being robbed of his 8th title at Abu Dhabi by Max. They did allow Sky to talk to Perez since it was his home GP and they will review their ban prior to the Brazilian and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix.

Now, before the pitchforks come out, Max noted that the comments have made an already toxic F1 social media environment that much more and Lewis agreed.

Personally, I am 100% in agreement. The FIA, F1 and the the teams have embraced social media in the post-Bernie era (he more or less forbid it where he could and strongly discouraged it where he could not) and while it has brought more fans around the world (especially outside of the traditional European markets) it has also brought more dissonance and disrespect.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So now we know why Max and RBR team members were not part of Sky's coverage of the Mexican Grand Prix - the team banned access to them after Ted Kravitz made multiple comments during his coverage at the USGP of Lewis being robbed of his 8th title at Abu Dhabi by Max. They did allow Sky to talk to Perez since it was his home GP and they will review their ban prior to the Brazilian and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix.

Now, before the pitchforks come out, Max noted that the comments have made an already toxic F1 social media environment that much more and Lewis agreed.

Personally, I am 100% in agreement. The FIA, F1 and the the teams have embraced social media in the post-Bernie era (he more or less forbid it where he could and strongly discouraged it where he could not) and while it has brought more fans around the world (especially outside of the traditional European markets) it has also brought more dissonance and disrespect.

Not being a Sky viewer I didn’t notice. But interesting RB stand point. I guess the truth hurts!

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Last edited:
  • Love

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Sky F1 didn’t make social media more toxic, the actual event did and has been debated daily on social media ever since. I’m really sorry Red Bull don’t like to be discredited for being gifted a victory that won Max a WDC but that’s exactly what it is and it’s not just direct fans who have that opinion. I don’t watch Sky and can’t stand Ted Kravitz, but I’m sure he sees it no differently to any other F1 fan who isn’t a Verstappen worshipper. The truth hurts and it’ll always be hanging over the 2021 season. Max, Christian and Helmut need to accept that. Michael was always reminded of the way he won his first championship and it followed him his whole career whether the regularity of its mention became less often or not.

• Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.