Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I think if someone reminds Max he squeezed Ocon in the same way a couple of years ago, he’ll realise he deserved the penalty lol.

Lewis gave him no room, but if Max did the same on Ocon, then "sauce for the goose"...

Did AMG pit under this SC, or just Ferrari?

One of the best races of the year in terms of excitement.

Reactions: Glideslope

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Amazing drive and win by George. Very well done. Good comeback by Charles and Max as well after the incidents. Fun race to watch.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Amazing drive and win by George. Very well done. Good comeback by Charles and Max as well after the incidents. Fun race to watch.

I agree with your comments about Max‘s comeback 2x from the back of the pack to finish P6. However, his refusal to let Sergio buy in the last lap to help the TEAM in the WDC due to him still carrying baggage from Sergios’s crash in Monaco keeping him from being on Pole, in my opinion this should result in some type of internal consequences.

Of course it won’t.

I love the RB18 and Honda PU’s but Lewis’ comment in the end of his post race interview was spot on. “Max is Max.”

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I agree with your comments about Max‘s comeback 2x from the back of the pack to finish P6. However, his refusal to let Sergio buy in the last lap to help the TEAM in the WDC due to him still carrying baggage from Sergios’s crash in Monaco keeping him from being on Pole, in my opinion this should result in some type of internal consequences.

Of course it won’t.

I love the RB18 and Honda PU’s but Lewis’ comment in the end of his post race interview was spot on. “Max is Max.”
To be honest I don’t think Red Bull need to do anything internally to Max, he did enough damage to his public perception I think. He was very unsporting to his teammate and a guy who often operates as his number 2 in crucial races where he himself needs points. Hopefully he feels awkward in the debrief and reads much of the reaction online which we know he complains about, a lot.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

Of course it won’t.

It’s a difficult one. If checo put his foot down he could have been 2nd. His pace just dropped. Max was five seconds ahead of him, catching up from the back of the grid, what should he do, pause on the track?

Although there seems to be more about it that isn’t in the public. As Max clearly indicated over the radio.

Ferrari was similar. le clerc also wanted a free pass and didn’t get it.

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
Max would not have won the 2021 WDC without Checo.

This Max is really a nice piece of work really.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It’s a difficult one. If checo put his foot down he could have been 2nd. His pace just dropped. Max was five seconds ahead of him, catching up from the back of the grid, what should he do, pause on the track?

Agreed. Max had pulled out four seconds on Checco once he was past so while I understand the team wanting to "do right" by Sergio to give him the extra two points to maintain 2nd place over LeClerc, I can also understand Max not wanting to have to pretty much stop before the line and wait for Perez to catch up and pass, though Occon and Bottas were both far enough back as to likely have made such a move a safe one.

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
They shouldn’t have allowed Max to pass Checco. He overtook him once they told him to go take points of Alonso and Leclerc. But yes Max is in the wrong. He disrespected his teammate who been there for him.

Relationship broken in my opinion. This might open the door for Ricardio in 2024 lol.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
In my opinion rein of Hamilton is over at Mercedes.

We saw coronation of King George Russell today.

I think Lewis would have been in contention had he not been crashed into and demoted to 8th place earlier in the race. Lewis put in a hell of a drive today and got driver of the day on the fan vote. George is an excellent driver, but I don’t think he’s anywhere near Lewis yet, but then Lewis has extensive experience so nobody should expect that. George is clearly developing into a very competitive racer and has been given the opportunity to grow this year and this race showed his maturity. I’m still surprised how good Lewis is though considering his age against all these young guys. He can still battle at the front.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
They shouldn’t have allowed Max to pass Checco. He overtook him once they told him to go take points of Alonso and Leclerc. But yes Max is in the wrong. He disrespected his teammate who been there for him.

Relationship broken in my opinion. This might open the door for Ricardio in 2024 lol.
Listening to the radio the relationship was badly broken in Checo's view anyway. Seems to be the weekend for it as Alonso hit out as well. I don't mind people being critical of their team mates, but ultimately this is a sport for winners. Sure Checo is now shared 2nd in the standings, but he yet again didn't drive like he is. I know it is crazy to say it for someone who has so many points, but he just doesn't seem to be that hungry every week.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

Who is they? The only person who can not allow someone to pass Checo is Checo. Its a race, he should race.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Bad call giving Max that penalty. Lewis damn well knew he was there and slammed the door shut. But whatever doesn't matter.
Lando maybe deserved that penalty trouble is he bounced off the kerb into LeClerc.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I think Lewis would have been in contention had he not been crashed into and demoted to 8th place earlier in the race. Lewis put in a hell of a drive today and got driver of the day on the fan vote. George is an excellent driver, but I don’t think he’s anywhere near Lewis yet, but then Lewis has extensive experience so nobody should expect that. George is clearly developing into a very competitive racer and has been given the opportunity to grow this year and this race showed his maturity. I’m still surprised how good Lewis is though considering his age against all these young guys. He can still battle at the front.

Respectfully disagree. George demonstrated today what he is capable of when “The Team Principal “ lets them race. He is as good as Lewis on any given Sunday.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Respectfully disagree. George demonstrated today what he is capable of when “The Team Principal “ lets them race. He is as good as Lewis on any given Sunday.

Yea and no, George can still show he's a bit of a rookie at times and makes mistakes. But you can't argue these he's outpaced Lewis all year long.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Bad call giving Max that penalty. Lewis damn well knew he was there and slammed the door shut. But whatever doesn't matter.
Lando maybe deserved that penalty trouble is he bounced off the kerb into LeClerc.

To be fair to the Stewards, when you watch the incident initially Max has position and is in front. Then Lewis moves in front at the end hitting Max as Max did not move off the surface, as I wouldn’t expect him to do given their history.

The Stewards based their decision on Lewis being in front at the time of impact.

While I agree Lewis should have received the penalty for forcing Max to do something he knew he wouldn’t, IMO the Stewards made the correct call based on their observations and rules interpretations.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Ok, I listened to Max's radio, hmm what 'reasons' does he have? He was instructed to let Sergio through and point blank refused, yet Sergio has let him through plenty. I have to say that's pretty bad for Max.
The relationship isn't broken at all though. But it may make Christian think a bit more about his future if he acts like that.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
To be fair to the Stewards, when you watch the incident initially Max has position and is in front. Then Lewis moves in front at the end hitting Max as Max did not move off the surface, as I wouldn’t expect him to do given their history.

The Stewards based their decision on Lewis being in front at the time of impact.

While I agree Lewis should have received the penalty for forcing Max to do something he knew he wouldn’t, IMO the Stewards made the correct call based on their observations and rules interpretations.

Nah, it was a racing incident if anything. But whatever. Hope the stewards use the same rules next year too. They didn't last year from what I remember.

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
He had a clear run at George after the safety car but G was in the zone. So glad they got Bottas out. Finally Hamilton got competitive teammate.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Who is they? The only person who can not allow someone to pass Checo is Checo. Its a race, he should race.

Max should have let Sergio through on that last lap as he was instructed to. His attitude towards it was not good I have to say. It won't damage the drivers relationships but Horner will remember it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.