Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Bad call giving Max that penalty. Lewis damn well knew he was there and slammed the door shut. But whatever doesn't matter.
Lando maybe deserved that penalty trouble is he bounced off the kerb into LeClerc.

Max had the option to pull out of the move much like Lewis had to on 5 occasions last season when Max either forced him off the circuit or missed his own braking point. It was commented that Max was in Lewis’ blind spot, but even if he knew he was there, why should he compromise his exit by taking an inferior line? Max was ambitious and Lewis wasn’t giving him an inch, penalty deserved.

Max also found himself in Lewis’ position a couple of seasons ago with Ocon and defended his right to turn in back then. He can’t have it all his own way when it suits. He’s clearly selfish and showed this later in by not doing his teammate a favour and even told his engineer ’never to ask him to let Checo through’. He expects it the other way around though, but I think those days are over judging by Checo’s comments.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Respectfully disagree. George demonstrated today what he is capable of when “The Team Principal “ lets them race. He is as good as Lewis on any given Sunday.

We can agree to disagree then. George had a brilliant race, but it’s not down to the team every time he doesn’t outperform Lewis. Lewis still has what it takes and yesterday would had been battling his team mate had he not had so much ground to make up.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Nah, it was a racing incident if anything. But whatever. Hope the stewards use the same rules next year too. They didn't last year from what I remember.
After having seen all the footage I think it is a racing incident, and Max came off much worse to give him 5 sec penalty I didn't think was necessary. It is like they only watched the second corner and not what happened beforehand. Max was actually already there, Lewis didn't give him much space and and reduced the space as well.

Max should have let Sergio through on that last lap as he was instructed to. His attitude towards it was not good I have to say. It won't damage the drivers relationships but Horner will remember it.
What by standing still and wait? Checo should get his pace up and race. No race driver should want that himself. Damn LeClerc sounded so pathetic begging.
I'm sure Crashtappen had nothing to do with it.
Oh dear oh dear oh dear, perhaps when you should join twitter/Facebook if you discuss in that style...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yea and no, George can still show he's a bit of a rookie at times and makes mistakes. But you can't argue these he's outpaced Lewis all year long.

I would say Lewis has been faster in the second half of the season out of the two overall. Remember, Lewis was playing development driver in the first half trying to find a balance in the cars setup. Mercedes said Lewis was trying new setups whereas George was often going with what they knew worked, hence why it didn’t always go in Hamilton’s favour in the first 8 races. I suppose it comes down to who gives the better feedback, the guy with 3 years experience or the guy with 15. It’s looking positive though towards the end of the season and hopefully much of the car issues are starting to be understood.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Max had the option to pull out of the move much like Lewis had to on 5 occasions last season when Max either forced him off the circuit or missed his own braking point. It was commented that Max was in Lewis’ blind spot, but even if he knew he was there, why should he compromise his exit by taking an inferior line? Max was ambitious and Lewis wasn’t giving him an inch, penalty deserved.

Max also found himself in Lewis’ position a couple of seasons ago with Ocon and defended his right to turn in back then. He can’t have it all his own way when it suits. He’s clearly selfish and showed this later in by not doing his teammate a favour and even told his engineer ’never to ask him to let Checo through’. He expects it the other way around though, but I think those days are over judging by Checo’s comments.

We agree to disagree then. Max was ahead of him just before the corner and it was naive at most on Lewis's part knowing full well Max would be going for the overtake. It's racing they overtake each other in corners. Only when it's Lewis and Max does everyone instantly blame Max. It was a racing incident.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I would say Lewis has been faster in the second half of the season out of the two overall. Remember, Lewis was playing development driver in the first half trying to find a balance in the cars setup. Mercedes said Lewis was trying new setups whereas George was often going with what they knew worked, hence why it didn’t always go in Hamilton’s favour in the first 8 races. I suppose it comes down to who gives the better feedback, the guy with 3 years experience or the guy with 15. It’s looking positive though towards the end of the season and hopefully much of the car issues are starting to be understood.

Not much of a come back when George is around 30 points ahead of Lewis still. I don't think Lewis can finish the season ahead now?

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
After having seen all the footage I think it is a racing incident, and Max came off much worse to give him 5 sec penalty I didn't think was necessary. It is like they only watched the second corner and not what happened beforehand. Max was actually already there, Lewis didn't give him much space and and reduced the space as well.

What by standing still and wait? Checo should get his pace up and race. No race driver should want that himself. Damn LeClerc sounded so pathetic begging.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, perhaps when you should join twitter/Facebook if you discuss in that style...

Max was ordered by his team, end off, they will know how and when he could do it as they have all the data, they would have known he wouldn't need to stop on the track, Perez was only just behind him, it really wouldn't have taken much effort or been much drama.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I do not understand Max's stance on not allowing Perez to get the points he needed to get into second place on the leaders board and to say he ignored his teams instructions due to 'reasons' is just baffling. If Max wanted to proved to the world that he is not a team player then he just proved it with his actions in that race.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Great weekend of racing. If they were all like that it would be fantastic!
RBR have never had a 1-2 in the WC. The reason? Because their number one drivers are not team players.
As for all the Lewis is finished posts. Remember he probably would have had a better starting position in qualifying if George hadn’t binned it so he didn’t get a good second run.
Not to take anything away from George. I think he’s a great young driver who can do great things with Mercedes’.
I really hope the RBR and Mercs are more evenly matched at the start of next year.
Max being Max sums it up very well. He drives like everyone else is in the wrong all the time. Not a nice teammate. Not a nice person.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
If Perez fails to end the season in 2nd place due to a few points, points he would have got if Max had followed team orders then in my opinion it will tarnish this years F1 because people will not be talking about Max winning the championship but instead they will be talking about how Max's arrogance and stubborness prevented RBR from getting a 1 2 in the championship ending (if it ends up like that).

Max is F1 champion and thus he knows he can be as awkward as he want's because he knows RBR will not drop the F1 champion from their team because it would be a PR nightmare for RBR.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I do not understand Max's stance on not allowing Perez to get the points he needed to get into second place on the leaders board and to say he ignored his teams instructions due to 'reasons' is just baffling. If Max wanted to proved to the world that he is not a team player then he just proved it with his actions in that race.
I think, that maybe, just maybe, Max is an asshol.e.

I'm glad VER got that 5 second penalty but maybe HAM could have given him more room...?

Great result though and RUS led from flag to flag. Nice.

Reactions: fridayxiii

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
I think, that maybe, just maybe, Max is an asshol.e.

I'm glad VER got that 5 second penalty but maybe HAM could have given him more room...?

Great result though and RUS led from flag to flag. Nice.

Not really. Lewis was ahead and Crashtappen confirmed he crashed into Lewis on purpose in an interview. He always does this, puts his car in a position where he will crash if the other driver doesn't give up the position.

And without Checo, Crashtappen would not have been the WDC of 2021. So Crashtappen owes Checo big time. Checo has every right to be pissed.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
We agree to disagree then. Max was ahead of him just before the corner and it was naive at most on Lewis's part knowing full well Max would be going for the overtake. It's racing they overtake each other in corners. Only when it's Lewis and Max does everyone instantly blame Max. It was a racing incident.

Max could have driven off the circuit to avoid a collision though like Lewis had to do on 5 occasions last season when faced with Max closing the door on him. I think it’s naive of Lewis to yield when we know the other way around it would be Lewis being forced to drive across the ‘Senna S’. Max races with his elbows out and is defended by his fans when he is doing the pushing and it doesn’t work only one way.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Fascinating, Mercedes and especially George had their best race so far. Yet there is all this focus on Max, in this thread and on the internet. In my opinion it's almost like people can't be happy without conflict. Why not celebrate an amazing race and well deserved win. 🥰 George done really well, and the much bigger story in my opinion is that Mercedes miraculously got some race pace to the end. What did they do? Will it be enough for next season? Nor Red Bull nor Ferrari couldn't get close. Very interesting, and could indicate some amazing racing in the final race and next year...

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
If Perez does not get 2nd on the leader board and RBR does not end up being 1 & 2 on the leader board it is going to be a PR disaster for RBR because talk will not be about Max winning the championship but how Max prevented RBR from getting a 1 & 2 on the leader board. If it turns out like that then RBR is going to be in some trobule with their sponsors because their sponsors will be wanting to take advantage of having the team win and will want to go on a PR drive promoting that fact BUT it is going to be extremely difficult for them when more than likely the majority of questions being put to them will be about Max and how do they feel about him preventing the team from getting a 1 2 (if it turns out like that).

I mean look at it this way. How are the team sponsors going to show off Max as the new F1 champion when the shouts from the press will be 'Max, how does it feel to dump on your team mate?' or 'Max, how does it feel to have prevented a RBR 1 2?' or 'Max, what is the situation with you and Perez'.

Naturally all of this will only occur if RBR do not get a 1 & 2 on the final day of the leaderboard but you can see where I am coming from though can't you? Because oh boy if Perez fails to get the points to end up in 2nd place and it turns out he could of got 2nd if Max had listened to the team, let the crap hit the fan because oh boy if it does end up that way and Perez ends up in 3rd on the leaderboard I cannot see Max surving this.

For example, for all of his successes, look at the crap Schumacher got and still gets for taking out Hill in the 1994 championship decider at the Australian GP and then practically doing the same in 1997 against Jacques Villeneuve. The same will happen to Max if RBR does not end up with a 1 2 on the leaderboard due to a small points issue.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Ok, I listened to Max's radio, hmm what 'reasons' does he have? He was instructed to let Sergio through and point blank refused, yet Sergio has let him through plenty. I have to say that's pretty bad for Max.
The relationship isn't broken at all though. But it may make Christian think a bit more about his future if he acts like that.

I doubt Christian cares - Max is their #1.

Max was ordered by his team, end off, they will know how and when he could do it as they have all the data, they would have known he wouldn't need to stop on the track, Perez was only just behind him, it really wouldn't have taken much effort or been much drama.

I would not call four seconds adrift "just behind" so Max would have had to slow down significantly to let Perez catch up and I could legitimately see Max being concerned about not being able to get back up to speed to stay ahead of whomever was behind Perez. Doubly so if the team did not tell Max that Ocon was four seconds behind Perez which might have been enough of a cushion to protect Max.

If Perez fails to end the season in 2nd place due to a few points, points he would have got if Max had followed team orders then in my opinion it will tarnish this years F1 because people will not be talking about Max winning the championship but instead they will be talking about how Max's arrogance and stubborness prevented RBR from getting a 1 2 in the championship ending (if it ends up like that).

I doubt most F1 fans will even remember who was second in the WDC and since the FIA does not award money for WDC positions, it won't cost RBR anything financially should LeClerc finish ahead of Perez at Abu Dhabi (and considering Ferrari and even LeClerc's performance over the year, that's not a given, IMO).

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I doubt Christian cares - Max is their #1.

I would not call four seconds adrift "just behind" so Max would have had to slow down significantly to let Perez catch up and I could legitimately see Max being concerned about not being able to get back up to speed to stay ahead of whomever was behind Perez. Doubly so if the team did not tell Max that Ocon was four seconds behind Perez which might have been enough of a cushion to protect Max.

I doubt most F1 fans will even remember who was second in the WDC and since the FIA does not award money for WDC positions, it won't cost RBR anything financially should LeClerc finish ahead of Perez at Abu Dhabi (and considering Ferrari and even LeClerc's performance over the year, that's not a given, IMO).
Trust me. We all remember who finished second (first!) in 2021!
But yes I agree. A 1-2 is nice but in the long term no one really cares and clearly Christian’s job is to keep Max happy and performing. He has all his eggs in that one basket (case!).

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
For the record, I feel for Perez, but he did lose four seconds to Max once Max was allowed past and Max had worked his way up the field to get behind Perez so he was clearly the faster driver that day. So I find myself more in agreement with those who are of the opinion that if Perez wanted to finish ahead of Max for those points, he should have driven harder and stayed close to Max in case Max could not make it past Alonso (as ended up happening).

Zest28

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2022
Non-sense. Even guys like Ayrton Senna have donated race wins to their slower team mates after winning the championship. Senna had no problems with it out of respect for his teammate who did help him in the past.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
For the record, I feel for Perez, but he did lose four seconds to Max once Max was allowed past and Max had worked his way up the field to get behind Perez so he was clearly the faster driver that day. So I find myself more in agreement with those who are of the opinion that if Perez wanted to finish ahead of Max for those points, he should have driven harder and stayed close to Max in case Max could not make it past Alonso (as ended up happening).

Verstappen has secured his title and the money now depends on Checo finishing second in terms of super license costs for the team. He could have slowed down a little and even if he lost another place, it would have been taking it for the team in what is a team sport. He’s number one at Red Bull and that’s all they are focused on which can’t be a pleasant situation for Checo knowing the support he gives won’t be reciprocated by his teammate who is only interested in himself. I really hope Perez outperforms Max in Abu Dhabi and we have a repeat of last year where Max was lost in the pack but obviously without the addition of being given a win. Hopefully Lewis or George have 1-2, not bothered in which order, but with Perez on the third spot with his second place secured .

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Absolutely; I mean he was in 2nd place, and dropped all the way back. He got to work for it. And I don't believe for one second that they've not gone over these scenarios, the radio message seemed to clearly indicate that and they agreed what they would do but then changed it.

Let's not forget, Checo has been 2nd for a good part of the season. We aren't talking about some third rate driver. He needs to work on consistency and keeping that pace as otherwise he'll always be second/third and never win...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
An interesting fact: The first British 1-2 finish since Canada 2010 .

Edit: found a pic

0839b26d592c7fe4768c8fbb13693dd7.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.