Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Champagne? Is it really good there or something? Or is this something that went over my head...?

NH and VT both have a pretty crappy distro when it comes to variety in champagne houses. Quebec has this wonderful thing of French Culture and their SAQ Stores (province ran liquor stores) have an amazing champagne selection. It helps that everything is 30% cheaper than we'd pay here due to the weak CAD.

So a $129 Dom is under $100.

The nearest city Boston (2 hours south) has a good wine selection but then you pay inflated Mass prices + taxes so GF and I just buy our wine in Quebec.

We don't spend thousands of dollars but if each of us spends $400 in wine, it's essentially costing us $250 more + Tax by buying it in Mass.

Reactions: lordofthereef

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
NH and VT both have a pretty crappy distro when it comes to variety in champagne houses. Quebec has this wonderful thing of French Culture and their SAQ Stores (province ran liquor stores) have an amazing champagne selection. It helps that everything is 30% cheaper than we'd pay here due to the weak CAD.

So a $129 Dom is under $100.
Not to be an ass...but last time I bought Dom, it was $212 a bottle.
Wine.com has it at $189US for a 2004? http://www.wine.com/v6/Dom-Perignon-2004/wine/124883/Detail.aspx?state=CA

Sorry, I know you get a good value for your $ up here, but let's not exaggerate too profoundly. :)

Edit: Ok, so I checked with the LCBO - Dom in Ontario is currently $232 a bottle here (2005). Checking on XE.com, that equates to $176US.

Last edited:

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Not to be an ass...but last time I bought Dom, it was $212 a bottle.
Wine.com has it at $189US for a 2004? http://www.wine.com/v6/Dom-Perignon-2004/wine/124883/Detail.aspx?state=CA

Sorry, I know you get a good value for your $ up here, but let's not exaggerate too profoundly. :)

Edit: Ok, so I checked with the LCBO - Dom in Ontario is currently $232 a bottle here (2005). Checking on XE.com, that equates to $176US.

http://www.liquorandwineoutlets.com/products/detail/8622/moet_chandon_dom_perignon

That's what I pay locally but 4 times a year, it's on sale for $130 and there's no sales tax in NH. It's still cheaper to buy in Quebec.

For the most part though, we grab things there we can't get here like Krug and some of the smaller houses.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Reactions: adamjackson

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I can't believe I read through this whole thread and didn't get to a final resolution. It's like binge-watching a series only to find out it's missing the final episode. OP, I hope you get your watch repaired or replaced and your AC restored.

As many creative designers there are on MacRumors, I'm really surprised I haven't been photoshopped into a Breaking Bad poster yet.

28.5K Views on this thread and I still don't have the watch. 24 hours to go! Should I post an update from the apple Store or just wait until Monday to tell you guys what happened?

Reactions: caligurl

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
As many creative designers there are on MacRumors, I'm really surprised I haven't been photoshopped into a Breaking Bad poster yet.

28.5K Views on this thread and I still don't have the watch. 24 hours to go! Should I post an update from the apple Store or just wait until Monday to tell you guys what happened?

Dude you should live stream that action.

Reactions: caligurl

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
*prepares 4X/year road trip*

You should. NH has a very limited selection compared to MA / NY / CT but what we do have is great prices. I buy a lot of my bourbon in Vermont and they always look puzzled because I'm from NH and I'm basically overpaying but NH only brings in what they can see 2-3K bottles of. Limited, small batch stuff doesn't make it over.

It's actually the same with beer. We don't have sales-tax but each brewery has to pay a tariff of a few grand for every label or ABV change so a yearly special release where the state would get 50 cases just won't come to NH because it's not worth it to the brewery. We miss out on a lot because of it. I'd prefer to just pay sales tax on alcohol and get more variety.
[doublepost=1475242150][/doublepost]
Dude you should live stream that action.

I was a bit ahead of the times on that one:

2255214795_39d46781ba_o.jpg

Sadly, Justin.TV is no more but I wore that damn camera for close to a year.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
You should. NH has a very limited selection compared to MA / NY / CT but what we do have is great prices. I buy a lot of my bourbon in Vermont and they always look puzzled because I'm from NH and I'm basically overpaying but NH only brings in what they can see 2-3K bottles of. Limited, small batch stuff doesn't make it over.

It's actually the same with beer. We don't have sales-tax but each brewery has to pay a tariff of a few grand for every label or ABV change so a yearly special release where the state would get 50 cases just won't come to NH because it's not worth it to the brewery. We miss out on a lot because of it. I'd prefer to just pay sales tax on alcohol and get more variety.
[doublepost=1475242150][/doublepost]

I was a bit ahead of the times on that one:

2255214795_39d46781ba_o.jpg

Sadly, Justin.TV is no more but I wore that damn camera for close to a year.

Justin.TV! Good times :)

Reactions: bornblind

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
I honestly don't know. I have an event at noon in Montreal so I only have like an hour of time to sit there and plead my case.

Essentially, if I owe $329 for a watch because the warranty was marked invalid by someone at Depot a month ago, I won't pay it but I'm not going to accept the fact that my warranty was cancelled w/o any cause. I owe Apple money under AppleCare+ to replace my watch w/ a refurbished unit due to accidental damage. I accept that reality.

I won't accept paying full replacement price when I specifically bought $99 AppleCare+ to avoid this situation.
I saw someone's post about prices at Best Buy the other day. Can't you go buy a new one for around this same price?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I saw someone's post about prices at Best Buy the other day. Can't you go buy a new one for around this same price?

The black 38mm model with link can be had new right now at BestBuy for $349.99 but the OP has a 42mm which is still quite pricey everywhere for a new one.

You could also buy a used one that still has AC plus for MUCH lower than that.

I just bought this SS Black 42mm with black sports band from a friend. He just bought it at the end of June and it has Apple Care + until 2018. I paid him $250.

Last edited:
Reactions: npolly0212

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
The black 38mm model with link can be had new right now at BestBuy for $349.99 but the OP has a 42mm which is still quite pricey everywhere.

I just bought this SS Black 42mm with black sports band from a friend. He just bought it at the end of June and it has Apple Care + until 2018. I paid him $250.

Yeah. Just figured I would throw that out! Lol

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008

Excellent point. Apple charges a flat $329 to replace a Stainless Steel 42MM Space Black Watch (no band) if it's out of warranty. I can get one on eBay w/ a sport band for $350.
[doublepost=1475246069][/doublepost]
Have never heard of Justin TV before. When was this?

Justin.TV was the bomb!!!! Started in 2007, I was friends with Justine Ezarik around 2002 (she and I were old-school Spymac users) and talked her into doing a stream on JTV back when it was just Justin Kan the founder. She ended up taking it up full-time in late 2007. I started doing it at home late-2007 just having my home-office always broadcasting. Then starting January 2008, I moved to San Francisco and borrowed a camera + backpack from JTV that had a Sony netbook + Verizon EVDO Card and it would run for 7-10 hours w/o needing a charge with the screen closed.

In late 2008, I started AdamsBlock which was a 24/7 stream of my corner in SF. I'll probably start back up on Ustream if that's still around when I close on my house soon. IT's a pretty nice view of a lake.

Adam's Block
My view today which would be good for a streaming cam especially since we have a lot of ice-fishers in the winter-time

---

You may also know Justin.TV as Twitch. Michael and Justin hired a girl named Tia in 2008 to run community management. She was a HUGE gamer and recommended that JTV embrace the people streaming video games. She did a lot of nurturing and eventually, gaming became hugely profitable that JTV launched Twitch. Eventually, JTV closed their doors and focused purely on gaming (long after Tia left) and amazon bought them for a billion dollars. Michael and Justin are both working at YCombinator now (a startup incubator) and enjoying their millions :)

JTV kick-started a lot of vlogger careers including iJUstine's

Last edited:

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Excellent point. Apple charges a flat $329 to replace a Stainless Steel 42MM Space Black Watch (no band) if it's out of warranty. I can get one on eBay w/ a sport band for $350.
[doublepost=1475246069][/doublepost]

Justin.TV was the bomb!!!! Started in 2007, I was friends with Justine Ezarik around 2002 (she and I were old-school Spymac users) and talked her into doing a stream on JTV back when it was just Justin Kan the founder. She ended up taking it up full-time in late 2007. I started doing it at home late-2007 just having my home-office always broadcasting. Then starting January 2008, I moved to San Francisco and borrowed a camera + backpack from JTV that had a Sony netbook + Verizon EVDO Card and it would run for 7-10 hours w/o needing a charge with the screen closed.

In late 2008, I started AdamsBlock which was a 24/7 stream of my corner in SF. I'll probably start back up on Ustream if that's still around when I close on my house soon. IT's a pretty nice view of a lake.

Adam's Block
My view today which would be good for a streaming cam especially since we have a lot of ice-fishers in the winter-time

---

You may also know Justin.TV as Twitch. Michael and Justin hired a girl named Tia in 2008 to run community management. She was a HUGE gamer and recommended that JTV embrace the people streaming video games. She did a lot of nurturing and eventually, gaming became hugely profitable that JTV launched Twitch. Eventually, JTV closed their doors and focused purely on gaming (long after Tia left) and amazon bought them for a billion dollars. Michael and Justin are both working at YCombinator now (a startup incubator) and enjoying their millions :)

JTV kick-started a lot of vlogger careers including iJUstine's

That's an outrageous price! Hell at this point I'd give up and sell it for parts/not working and collect some cash and just buy one off eBay or from Best Buy (check open inventory items also - got an iPad for 200 bucks off because it was open box)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.