Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
You have to by law, yes... Poland are launching a project with a goal to have a digital ID and drivers licence in some sort of app... It'll be interesting to see how that works out...

EDIT: Sorry, failed to read thread. Apologies.

zdfbe4ah

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2018
apple march event on 27th is confirmed ... but focus seems to be on education ... don't know how apple pay fits in therer ...

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Hmmm. Cook always talks about market development of their other products in forefront of the main event ...

Thinkable speech:

yadda yadda yadda
good morning
yadda yadda yadda
we're happy to be with you here today
yadda yadda yadda
unbelievable great
yadda yadda yadda
doing so well
yadda yadda yadda
apple pay starts in...
yadda yadda yadda
education is so important for us because only educated people are going to be rich enough to buy our products
yadda yadda yadda

;)

Reactions: Alanin

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
Apple released the 6th beta of iOS 11.3 and the 6th beta of watchOS 4.3 just a few days after the 5th.

This either shows that there was a very critical bug or the public release of the stable version is just around the corner. Something like next week. And as far as I remember they release new version on Tuesdays. Which would be the 20th when talking about next week.

So... we have a Keynote from a bank which is not allowed to talk about something cause of contracts to their parnter. We have a new iOS release around the corner. Maybe both on the same date. And we have logos for supporting banks not in the usual directory path on the Apple servers...

Maybe that means exactly nothing, but maybe it means that AP is coming to more countries in Europe...if not all EU countries.

So let’s hope, wait and see. It’s just a few days left to wait...

Karma_isA_8itch

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2018
Considering that it already is the 6th beta it is very likely that we are already very close to the release of iOS 11.3. But if you ask me I'm very confident that Apple will release it on 27th. Its a tuesday too. And thats the date where they will be holding their event in Chicago.

About bunq and their "event" on 20th. I dont want to crush your hopes about Apple Pay but if you followed bunq for the last couple of years you would know that most of these events happened on a Tuesday. Bunq calls those events simple "Bunq Update" and on March 20th they will be holding their 7th Update. First update 9/15/15 Tuesday. Second update 11/24/15 Tuesday. Third update 05/02/16 Monday. Fourth update 11/15/16 Tuesday. Fifth update 10/10/17 Tuesday. Sixth update 11/30/17 Thursday. And last but not least seventh update will be on 03/20/18 Tuesday. So from 7 events 5 happended on a Tuesday, one on Monday and another on Thursday. So I am pretty sure the day has nothing to do with Apple or some Apple releated informations or a iOS 11.3 release. And bunq made just some vagou comments about that event and I think they just want to push their event with all that "not allowed to talk about certain stuff". And those events take about 25 minutes and in the past they have been introducing features like dual pin, wildcards, their new pricing and so on. Is it possible that they show Apple Pay? Yes. Will this actually happen in two days? I dont think so. Why would Apple launch/announce Apple Pay a week before they hold off their own event where they would get much more peoples attention.

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
Considering that it already is the 6th beta it is very likely that we are already very close to the release of iOS 11.3. But if you ask me I'm very confident that Apple will release it on 27th. Its a tuesday too. And thats the date where they will be holding their event in Chicago.

About bunq and their "event" on 20th. I dont want to crush your hopes about Apple Pay but if you followed bunq for the last couple of years you would know that most of these events happened on a Tuesday. Bunq calls those events simple "Bunq Update" and on March 20th they will be holding their 7th Update. First update 9/15/15 Tuesday. Second update 11/24/15 Tuesday. Third update 05/02/16 Monday. Fourth update 11/15/16 Tuesday. Fifth update 10/10/17 Tuesday. Sixth update 11/30/17 Thursday. And last but not least seventh update will be on 03/20/18 Tuesday. So from 7 events 5 happended on a Tuesday, one on Monday and another on Thursday. So I am pretty sure the day has nothing to do with Apple or some Apple releated informations or a iOS 11.3 release. And bunq made just some vagou comments about that event and I think they just want to push their event with all that "not allowed to talk about certain stuff". And those events take about 25 minutes and in the past they have been introducing features like dual pin, wildcards, their new pricing and so on. Is it possible that they show Apple Pay? Yes. Will this actually happen in two days? I dont think so. Why would Apple launch/announce Apple Pay a week before they hold off their own event where they would get much more peoples attention.

As I said. Maybe all this means exactly nothing.

The Apple event itself is educational, don’t think they will release new iOS Version on an educational event. I think they would just release it without loosing a word next thing is, the event is in an high school in the US.

If AP in Europe is that important, they would either just say nothing or make an own event for that, but tbh releasing AP in Europe is no topic Apple can talk for an hour. So I think, they just release it somewhen without saying a word. At least when there is no other topic being related to AP in Europe. Something like an investors call...

I am not able to say how possible it is that AP is coming to Europe next week or next quarter. But I hope they release it somewhen...

So, i cannot say something will be released, but there are signs that could be interpreted as some hints to AP. But maybe that all is just an coincidence

Conclusion:
Would I use AP when it’s released here? Definitely yes!
Will I be sad/mad when they don’t do next week/month/quarter/year? No. I am even not eager enough to go with a foreign bank account to get it working. I wouldn’t even switch my bank when they will not support AP.

I will use it when I am able to, but I won’t do much more than adding my existing card to AP

Last edited:
Reactions: docfred

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
Another thing about that bunq event. they were asked about Apple Pay for Netherlands and they answered with references to that event. so I don't really think its a not-mobile-payment related event.

maybe not Apple Pay, but at least something in that direction. but it wouldn't make sense to bring an own solution when having Apple Pay in other countries...

Karma_isA_8itch

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2018
Well I'm very interested to see what they are going to show tomorrow. Even if it is not about Apple Pay or mobile payment in general they always present neat new features with their new app releases. There will not be a livestream but you can follow bunq on twitter live tweeting about the update for all those who are interessted.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
An indicator for Apple Pay launching was adding new cards in advance (so at least T&Cs showed up). I tried adding my Sparkasse and ING cards. All four German bank cards I have in total didn't work at all. Does anyone have a bunq card and has tried adding it (switch to another region that has AP in settings temporarily)?

It is possible that they'll be launching a pan-Euro wide Apple Pay Cash. The regulation is in place to make that happen and would make Apple Pay immediately happen in all Euro countries. Add in a couple more banks that are certain to launch such as N26, boon, maybe this new "Allianz Prime" and we might possibly have some big news coming up. On the other hand it wouldn't have made sense to not announce anything on the earnings call, just mention Brasil and then release an Apple Pay expansion in Europe with just a press release. It's almost certain they won't talk about anything else then educational software and maybe a Mac/iPad refresh on the event next week. So it does look like we're heading into June/July (WWDC would be a fitting event to discuss this) and would coincide with several German banks launching their mobile wallet apps for Android.

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
@sir-hd on which version of iOS are you? As for me being developer I could try with the latest Beta on my iPhone. Otherwise, we just can wait 'till tomorrow what bunq has to say...

and lets remember that investor documents of that Czech bank (moneta I think) stating that AP would come to Czech Republic in Q1 or Q2 depending on Apples plans/intentions...

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
@sir-hd on which version of iOS are you?

I'm on the latest public version, must be 11.2.6 if I'm not mistaken. The only thing I noticed is that Girocards are completely unable to be added to Apple Pay. They would have to be added either through the bank app or some other method that is not yet implemented. But credit cards are definitely worth a try for everyone and if you have a bunq card, that would be interesting!

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
I tried adding my ING DiBa Card (don't have a bunq Card) using region set to Netherlands and Irleland. When setting to Netherlands I cannot add a new card. Using Ireland as setting lets me enter the details but is not able to complete the process when contacting the CC issuer...

Hemmik

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Amsterdam
An indicator for Apple Pay launching was adding new cards in advance (so at least T&Cs showed up). I tried adding my Sparkasse and ING cards. All four German bank cards I have in total didn't work at all. Does anyone have a bunq card and has tried adding it (switch to another region that has AP in settings temporarily)?

It is possible that they'll be launching a pan-Euro wide Apple Pay Cash. The regulation is in place to make that happen and would make Apple Pay immediately happen in all Euro countries. Add in a couple more banks that are certain to launch such as N26, boon, maybe this new "Allianz Prime" and we might possibly have some big news coming up. On the other hand it wouldn't have made sense to not announce anything on the earnings call, just mention Brasil and then release an Apple Pay expansion in Europe with just a press release. It's almost certain they won't talk about anything else then educational software and maybe a Mac/iPad refresh on the event next week. So it does look like we're heading into June/July (WWDC would be a fitting event to discuss this) and would coincide with several German banks launching their mobile wallet apps for Android.

Adding a bunq-Mastercard doesn’t work with Italy or Spain set as region. Seen that there is a reference to the bunq logo in the source of the Apple Pay pages of these countries these would make most sense. Then again, if they were to launch it tomorrow it probably wouldn’t work today, and me living in the Netherlands also doesn't help.

Reactions: docfred and Alanin

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Adding a bunq-Mastercard doesn’t work with Italy or Spain set as region. Seen that there is a reference to the bunq logo in the source of the Apple Pay pages of these countries these would make most sense. Then again, if they were to launch it tomorrow it probably wouldn’t work today, and me living in the Netherlands also doesn't help.
In those countries in which Apple Pay launched, it was often a possibility to get as far as terms and conditions sometimes even weeks in advance. It's always worth a try. Adding Apple Pay cards doesn't depend on where you live, the only thing that matters is that the region is set to somewhere where Apple Pay cards can be added (i.e. mine is set to UK, could be France, Italy, Ireland or even the US).

Last edited:

Tymen

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2016
In those countries in which Apple Pay launched, it was often a possibility to get as far as terms and conditions sometimes even weeks in advance. It's always worth a try. Adding Apple Pay cards doesn't matter on where you live, the only thing that matters is that the region is set to somewhere where Apple Pay cards can be added (i.e. mine is set to UK, could be France, Italy, Ireland or even the US).

Just tried it, but it doesn't work (location set to Italy). I'm getting the message that the card supplier doesn't support the card to be used with Apple Pay. (after adding card number/ date & cvc)

Hemmik

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Amsterdam
In those countries in which Apple Pay launched, it was often a possibility to get as far as terms and conditions sometimes even weeks in advance. It's always worth a try. Adding Apple Pay cards doesn't matter on where you live, the only thing that matters is that the region is set to somewhere where Apple Pay cards can be added (i.e. mine is set to UK, could be France, Italy, Ireland or even the US).

There supposedly is a difference between bunq cards between countries. Therefore the Dutch card doesn’t necessarily work for Italian Apple Pay. Same with N26, right?

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
There supposedly is a difference between bunq cards between countries. Therefore the Dutch card doesn’t necessarily work for Italian Apple Pay. Same with N26, right?
I don't know about bunq (to be honest I hadn't heard of them until just about a week ago). N26 does have different card numbers for different regions and is able to block German customers from adding their card through French region settings for example. The same can also be said for boon as well.

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
They don’t have to „block“ German cards. The number on paying cards contains the issuer and region. Apple scans the number on the card and compares it to their „address book“, if the card is supported.

A German boon credit card or a German N26 debit card will refer to Germany, boon and Germany, N26 -> „not supported, come back later“

Ritzel

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2018
I have just tested it with my Bank Cards (Region: FR):

DKB Debit Card: No reaction

DKB Creditcard: After entering and checking the csv number, the process was aborted because the Bank does not yet support Apple Pay.

Sparkassen Debit Card: Here i came to accept the terms and conditions and could accept them. However, since the Debit Card does Not have a CSV Number, i could not add the card final.

In particular, the behavior of the Sparkassen Card is interesting or is this nothing new?

wSchabby

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2018
I have just tested it with my Bank Cards (Region: FR):

DKB Debit Card: No reaction

DKB Creditcard: After entering and checking the csv number, the process was aborted because the Bank does not yet support Apple Pay.

Sparkassen Debit Card: Here i came to accept the terms and conditions and could accept them. However, since the Debit Card does Not have a CSV Number, i could not add the card final.

In particular, the behavior of the Sparkassen Card is interesting or is this nothing new?
Were these the terms & conditions from apple or Sparkasse?

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Which number did you enter? The debit cards wouldn't be possible as you either have the IBAN version, or the older card version featuring your account number and card number (which doesn't work with any implementation of Apple Pay so far)...

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
What did you enter into the field?
I used the camera to add the card. It recognized the bank account number. I can try it again this evening and make some notes.

The MasterCard is also recognized but declined as the bank does not support Apple Pay yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.