Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the Apple Watch (2023)?

• Total voters

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
I honestly was not even considering it...until I saw PINK. I know it's a pretty minor bump from S7/S8 to S9. But what are your thoughts on going from S6 to S9?

I got my S6 in April 2021 for $250 and Apple estimates trade in value at $115...so I'm struggling not to talk myself into. Especially since it seems like so often, Apple only offers the unique colors once! If I don't jump now...
If you have the money and are really feeling the pink, you should probably go for it. Cumulatively there are several changes from the Series 6. Whether or not any of those are of value to you? Not something I could say.

+ GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, BeiDou (s6: GNSS)
+ IP6X Dust Resistance (S6: none)
+ 256g Accelerometer (S6: 32g)
+ Crash Detection (S6: none)
+ HDR Gyroscope (S6: standard)
+ Trend-only Body Temperature (S6: none)
+ 64 GB storage (S6: 32GB)
+ 41mm & 45mm sizes (S6: 40mm & 44mm)
+ 2000 nits brightness (S6: 1000)
+ S9 chip (S6: S6)
+ U2 Chip (S6: U1)
+ Neural Engine (S6: none)
+ Bluetooth 5.3 (S6: 5.0)
+ Fast Charging (S6: none)
+ Battery ... slightly larger? (I can't find battery stats to compare yet) The S7 had higher-capacity batteries than the S6. The S8 had slightly less than the S7, but still more than the S6. So, it's anyone's guess which way they went this time, especially with the redesign of the watch's guts.

I think, personally, if I had an S6 I was entirely happy with and was uninterested in an Ultra, I'd stick with the S6 for another year. But there's always a chance they'll do something sad like eliminating a color or finish you really like (they've done that to me!).

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Just changed to "Preparing to Ship".

IMG_3A6935121614-1.jpeg

Reactions: dustyblueheron

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
I have a series 4 I use daily and been holding off for a while but have ordered the ultra 2. Looking forward to the upgrade! Going to get the battery serviced on my series 4 and pass it on to my wife who had a series 0 which has finally given up the ghost after all these years!

marchrose2011

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
USA
If my S6 was still working I prolly would have ended up holding out for another year since the rumored redesign is next year but I’m still pumped for the S9 I ordered. I feel like it’s gonna be a nice upgrade for sure

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Yea, they might have been staging iPhones too. I guess we’ll find out when folks here actual show shipment detail
Listening again to the event I think build-to-order will still ship by the usual method but maybe in-store stock will start coming by giant freighter because the stores can absorb the longer lead times.

Anyhoozle my 9 is 'Preparing to Ship'. Maybe it's SITTIN' ON A DOCK OF THE BAY WATCHIN THE TIDE ROLL AWAY.

Satanic Goat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Just preordered my Ultra 2 over the phone with EE. He told me it would arrive tomorrow. It won’t, but I’ll still keep an eye out just in case!

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Just preordered an Ultra 2 for delivery on launch. Coming from a Series 6 Stainless Steel 44mm. Bit nervous on if I'm going to like the Ultras size. Might end up returning for a Stainless series 9 if I don't get on with it.

nyermen

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2018
Just preordered an Ultra 2 for delivery on launch. Coming from a Series 6 Stainless Steel 44mm. Bit nervous on if I'm going to like the Ultras size. Might end up returning for a Stainless series 9 if I don't get on with it.
Loved the size of my first ultra personally. No issues on size, sleeping or otherwise. I have skinny arms (but big hands). Did previously have a big fat Garmin (but not at night, too big for that).

U2 on order. Still processing, no CC charge yet.

nyermen

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2018
I was going to go for store pickup, then realised that if a similar slot doesn't exist for the iPhone for me, id end up having to come back / rush home for DHL, etc etc.

Claudia P

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2016
I'm not planning on upgrading from my Series 8, but I'll listen to what they offer before saying a hard NO. For now I expect to hang on for anther year, but who knows.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
I honestly was not even considering it...until I saw PINK. I know it's a pretty minor bump from S7/S8 to S9. But what are your thoughts on going from S6 to S9?

I got my S6 in April 2021 for $250 and Apple estimates trade in value at $115...so I'm struggling not to talk myself into. Especially since it seems like so often, Apple only offers the unique colors once! If I don't jump now...
I'm replacing my Nike S6 with a Starlight S9. Definitely worth the upgrade IMHO.
But no trade-in for me as in Switzerland, Apple deems my Nike S6 (bought in 2020 on launch day) to be only worth "recycling". Apparently, US customers are treated way differently than us in Europe. 💀

Reactions: CarolG

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just ordered Apple Watch Series 9 GPS 45mm Midnight Aluminum Case with Midnight Sport Band - S/M with a delivery of Sep 22.

rebretz000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2018
S9 only shows AT&T, Verizon, and Tmobile as authorized carriers. I have Xfinity, looks like I'm out of luck.

I thought any carrier that recognizes Esim was able to have the Apple Watch on it. Does Xfinity use Verizon’s network or do they have their own?

Cirlonde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
If you have the money and are really feeling the pink, you should probably go for it. Cumulatively there are several changes from the Series 6. Whether or not any of those are of value to you? Not something I could say.

I think, personally, if I had an S6 I was entirely happy with and was uninterested in an Ultra, I'd stick with the S6 for another year. But there's always a chance they'll do something sad like eliminating a color or finish you really like (they've done that to me!).
Thanks so much for this! I looked at the comparison specs on the Apple site but it's a lot easier to digest laid out like this. Before Tuesday, I had tentatively been thinking about waiting for the 2024 iteration, based on the rumors of a complete redesign. Now that I want the new color...my brain has conveniently reminded me that it is not always a great idea to buy in on the first go at a redesign and that it might be better to wait for all the kinks to get worked out/perfected...in which case, I should take advantage of the S9 now! My brain is super talented at jumping through all the hoops required to talk me into doing what I want to do anyway. 🤣

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I thought any carrier that recognizes Esim was able to have the Apple Watch on it. Does Xfinity use Verizon’s network or do they have their own?
I'm not sure but I'm going to call them and check. I just went on Xfinity a few months ago and currently have a S7. At this point I'm just going by what the Apple site showed when I went in there to order, no option of Xfinity.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Just ordered a 41mm Pink S9 w/beige braided loop to go with the Ultra 2 I ordered on 09/12.

Shows arriving on 09/22!!

Reactions: CarolG

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm trading in my Granite SS S7 for an alum S9 in midnight. Am keeping my Ultra from last year, of course, but decided that my 2nd watch doesn't need to be up-market. I find that I always want to wear the Ultra anyway - but the 2 finger tap might be appealing. Will be fun to experiment with it. Next year I'll break the bank again with an iPhone 16 and the newest Ultra.
Have also ordered an Alpine Loop strap in the new Indigo color. Total sucker for watch bands of all types - I think making the bands interchangeable was the smartest thing Apple could have done!
LOVE that the band have always been interchangeable! I still have a bunch from my first watch in 2016.

Reactions: dustyblueheron
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.