Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the Apple Watch (2023)?

• Total voters

Cirlonde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
I'm replacing my Nike S6 with a Starlight S9. Definitely worth the upgrade IMHO.
But no trade-in for me as in Switzerland, Apple deems my Nike S6 (bought in 2020 on launch day) to be only worth "recycling". Apparently, US customers are treated way differently than us in Europe. 💀
Wow, that sucks! I was really very surprised that the estimated trade value was as high as it was. My battery health is at 86%, and while I can still easily make it through an entire day on a single charge, I can tell it's degrading. And will probably degrade faster over the next year. So that alone is a temptation, even aside from wanting a color other than red (which is fine but really limits my band options and sometimes...red just seems inappropriate for certain situations!)

Reactions: geekiemac

Greatniss

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2018
Wondering if they allow me to exchange the band for a different one without returning the entire AWU2. Anyone have any luck with doing this last year?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'm really hoping the mag bands shows order-able tomorrow morning. It's holding up the order.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Cristim74

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
I didn't know that the watches can be preordered already; I thought preordering would start tomorrow at the same time as the iPhones. So I did order the Ultra 2; upgrading from a regular Series 6. Paid 870 euros in the EU, including VAT. Promised delivery date September 23rd. I keep my fingers crossed!

Reactions: djlythium

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
So I got the Ultra last year and have loved it all the way up until the OS10 betas killed the battery life. I bought the watch using apples Applecard installments and I’m half way paid off. When I saw that I could trade in my old watch and get $380 and finance the new one for only 12 months and only pay about $100 after taxes and AppleCare+ it became a no-brainer. I’m essentially turning in my old watch for a new one for $100. I’m really hope-timistic that the battery will be better on the new one since that’s how it always seems to go. Planned obsolescence …😳

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Just ordered the S9 Alum 45mm. Upgraded from S7. ($155 trade in) Xfinity is good, just hasn't been added to the list yet. I thought so but wanted to confirm before ordering. Del 9/22/23.

Reactions: rebretz000

emperormacnut

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
Going for the ultra 2 this year. I’m usually in the iPhone pre order thread, but I’m underwhelmed this year and passing for the first time since the 3S came out. Super excited for this Ultra, though!

Reactions: ebika and djlythium

brar.arsh

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
So I got the Ultra last year and have loved it all the way up until the OS10 betas killed the battery life. I bought the watch using apples Applecard installments and I’m half way paid off. When I saw that I could trade in my old watch and get $380 and finance the new one for only 12 months and only pay about $100 after taxes and AppleCare+ it became a no-brainer. I’m essentially turning in my old watch for a new one for $100. I’m really hope-timistic that the battery will be better on the new one since that’s how it always seems to go. Planned obsolescence …😳
Yes but if you calculate, you lost all the value that you have paid until now plus the $100 that you are going to pay now. So technically they sold you a watch for say 800, and you paid 400 by now and then they are taking it back for 380, and you are paying 100 on top of that. :)

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I'm really hoping the mag bands shows order-able tomorrow morning. It's holding up the order.
Yea, Apple has got to get their inventory together!

How can Apple advertise something and it's not available to order ??

I could not order the magnetic band on Tuesday, so I had to order the regular sport band just to get the watch on launch day.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Wondering if they allow me to exchange the band for a different one without returning the entire AWU2. Anyone have any luck with doing this last year?
I was told on Apple chat that I have 14 days from delivery day to exchange watch bands.

Asked what would happen if it doesn't make it - Apple chat said to return the entire watch and re-order....

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Yes but if you calculate, you lost all the value that you have paid until now plus the $100 that you are going to pay now. So technically they sold you a watch for say 800, and you paid 400 by now and then they are taking it back for 380, and you are paying 100 on top of that. :)
Yeah, I guess I rented the watch for the year. I could have kept it and sold it on eBay or Craigslist or something and got maybe a little more for it but I LOATHE trying to sell things online and in general. I’d rather lose money than go through that hassle.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Yeah, I guess I rented the watch for the year. I could have kept it and sold it on eBay or Craigslist or something and got maybe a little more for it but I LOATHE trying to sell things online and in general. I’d rather lose money than go through that hassle.
I got a $155 Apple trade in offer for my S7.

But then I can't complain as I got the watch for "free" - actually I had to sign up with a credit card (now defunct) and monitor my steps each day for a year.

So in my case, the free S7 watch is actually going to "pay" me $155 for my S9 that I pre-ordered.

Paceline credit card offer:
Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.46.33 AM.png

Reactions: GlenK

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
So the blue/beige/orange combo band is out until Nov?? Wtf? It’s just a band. How are you so short on bands?

solrunner

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I was able to exchange my size 6 solo loop for size 5 solo loop (same color), without having to exchange the watch it came with, back in 2020. I went into a local Apple Store to do it.

Reactions: Greatniss

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Just preordered an Ultra 2 for delivery on launch. Coming from a Series 6 Stainless Steel 44mm. Bit nervous on if I'm going to like the Ultras size. Might end up returning for a Stainless series 9 if I don't get on with it.
I love the size of my ultra for outdoor use. But for more formal use it’s kinda out of place. I’m thinking of getting a 9 for these other uses.

dustyblueheron

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015
Minnesota
IMG_0119.jpeg

I wonder what the difference is between orders that have moved to "preparing to ship" and those of us who are still "processing." My arrival date is still 9/22 - so plenty of time yet, but it's curious that some have already moved along.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Ordered two! One for my wife and one for me. Starlight aluminum 41mm for her, and a silver SS 45mm for me.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I do wonder how the ocean shipping will work with these orders. Given how long it takes to travel by cargo ship, I'm expecting some orders to come from warehouse locations in the states. Will be fun to see how the tracking info differs this year from previous years!
Yes, agree - I think a lot are already in warehouses in country.

Last year, the iPhone 14 - some had arrived by air while others were already at the Apple warehouses.

Mine was an example - 14+ showed no progress - no ship notification until the day before launch day and voila - arrived from my local Ontario, CA warehouse via FEDEX ground the next day.

Reactions: dustyblueheron

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
I do wonder how the ocean shipping will work with these orders. Given how long it takes to travel by cargo ship, I'm expecting some orders to come from warehouse locations in the states. Will be fun to see how the tracking info differs this year from previous years!
I don’t think they meant literally every single order is going to be fulfilled by sea route.

I think initial (pre)orders will be fulfilled by air due to their urgency and time sensitivity, and as that initial demand dies down and supply increases, they will gradually divert stock to ship via sea.

I think what Apple means by saying Carbon Neutral is that they will offset their carbon emissions (whether air or sea) by planting trees and other initiatives.

I could be wrong, but that’s how I understood it and that’s how I see Apple fulfilling the initial surge orders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.