Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amealy

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
Hi all, I picked up my Apple Watch Ultra yesterday around 12:30pm, drove straight to my carrier to get the cellular activated and it’s safe to say after having it for almost a day I’m glad I made the choice for the ultra. I’m also glad I bought other bands to go with it because I know I would get that white band super dirty super quick.
The band on in the pic is the XL Midnight Sport Loop
Beautiful! Looks way too tight on your wrist though- don’t cut off your circulation!😳

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Ok…so I WASN’T off the Alpine edge after all, haha!!

Went back and forth and back and forth. Finally realized that if I’m fighting it this much, time to jump ship.

Found a AWU with midnight Ocean for pickup near my house. Heading there in an hour!!

Oh the things these Apple gadgets make us do, haha!!

Here it is with a Tangerine sport loop. Looks great IMHO.

Funny reading that - there was exactly ONE AWU in this area with the midnight band. I just ordered it for pickup tomorrow. I may or may not actually pick it up - I won't unless I think it's a genuine candidate for "keeper" status. I actually think the trail loop might be a better choice (for me - YMMV) but those aren't delivering until November.

Camwin

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
When you say that the lugs don't fit, do you mean they aren't wide enough to be flush with the sides of the Ultra, or it is incompatible? From the pic, it looks like it doesn't curve with the body like it might with the smaller watches.
Awesome post, btw :D
Thank you very much, my friend. And yes the strap ends are fabric tipped, and technically go past the lug a little bit. It does not fill in the gap completely. Not a horrible look, just off enough to be aesthetically inopportune.

Reactions: ZacKaffeine

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
Well UPS appears to have lost my Ultra that was supposed to be delivered yesterday. I was able to find on at the closest Apple Store but it was a bit of a drive. Anyways I am kind of glad that it happened because I tried on all the ocean bands and alpine bands and decided I didn’t like the alpine. The orange one I ordered was dirty already from people trying it on, I also felt like it just looked kind of sloppy, ended up with the midnight ocean and I’m pretty pleased. Wish they made the ocean band in orange though to match the accent orange.

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Funny reading that - there was exactly ONE AWU in this area with the midnight band. I just ordered it for pickup tomorrow. I may or may not actually pick it up - I won't unless I think it's a genuine candidate for "keeper" status. I actually think the trail loop might be a better choice (for me - YMMV) but those aren't delivering until November.
This was at Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I see now that they are in-stock all over the Los Angeles area.

Just got home with it!! So glad I bailed on the Alpine. For those that love the Alpine, I’m happy for you!! It just wasn’t for me.

But that’s why they have choices, haha!! I’ve got the black/grey Trail Loop on order as well. Digging the Ti lugs!!

The Ocean will be perfect for pool/open water swims. And MAN is it comfortable. And much thinner in person.

Last edited:
Reactions: macsplusmacs

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Thank you very much, my friend. And yes the strap ends are fabric tipped, and technically go past the lug a little bit. It does not fill in the gap completely. Not a horrible look, just off enough to be aesthetically inopportune.

My 45mm leather loop link has a tiny gap, 1mm on each side. Not noticable unless you look really close. Zero effect on use:

IMG_1206.jpeg

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Well UPS appears to have lost my Ultra that was supposed to be delivered yesterday. I was able to find on at the closest Apple Store but it was a bit of a drive. Anyways I am kind of glad that it happened because I tried on all the ocean bands and alpine bands and decided I didn’t like the alpine. The orange one I ordered was dirty already from people trying it on, I also felt like it just looked kind of sloppy, ended up with the midnight ocean and I’m pretty pleased. Wish they made the ocean band in orange though to match the accent orange.
Wow, crazy. It appears UPS lost mine as well. It hasn’t moved since Thursday night. I opened up an investigation on it so who knows what will happen. I began checking almost every hour starting at 7am today in hopes on of the stores would get one in stock and it so happened that the same configuration that I ordered popped up at a store about 40 minutes away. I placed my order and picked it up this afternoon. I on the other hand also picked up the orange alpine loop in addition to the midnight ocean and am really enjoying the alpine band.

Amazing how our stories are so similar!

Have you reached out to Apple about the delayed arrival of your original order yet? I was going to wait another day or so to see what can come from UPS first and then reach out to Apple.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Did you decide to stick with the Ultra over the Hermés? I’m rocking the AWU since yesterday and love it, especially the battery and that flat bright screen! Only thing is the size on my wrist 😅. I’m getting used to it but wondering if an SS 8 might suit better, and await a smaller sized AWU2 🤔

Did you decide to stick with the Ultra over the Hermés? I’m rocking the AWU since yesterday and love it, especially the battery and that flat bright screen! Only thing is the size on my wrist 😅. I’m getting used to it but wondering if an SS 8 might suit better, and await a smaller sized AWU2 🤔
I am keeping the Apple Watch Ultra. The battery life is just way too good. This is the actual Apple Watch I've been waiting for a long time from Apple to introduce. Just can't go wrong with it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
This was at Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I see now that they are in-stock all over the Los Angeles area.
Just got home with it!! So glad I bailed on the Alpine. For those that love the Alpine, I’m happy for you!! It just wasn’t for me.
But that’s why they have choices, haha!! I’ve got the black/grey Trail Loop on order as well. Digging the Ti lugs!!
The Ocean will be perfect for pool/open water swims. And MAN is it comfortable. And much thinner in person.
Hey thanks! My wrist is 176mm, and I still have 3 open holes if I'm wearing it loosely—4 if I'm wearing it like I should lol.

I think those lugs are almost works of art. They're such a small detail, but they're exquisitely designed and, as you say, it's nice that they're titanium.

For you both, and anyone else with an Ocean band, if you are doing any workouts whee you're getting sort of sweaty, how does the Ocean band feel? I never liked the regular Sport bands, but I like the Nike bands, but maybe the difference is mostly in my imagination. What I'd really like is a Trail loop, but those are looking like they won't arrive until late October.

Reactions: julit0

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I think those lugs are almost works of art. They're such a small detail, but they're exquisitely designed and, as you say, it's nice that they're titanium.

For you both, and anyone else with an Ocean band, if you are doing any workouts whee you're getting sort of sweaty, how does the Ocean band feel? I never liked the regular Sport bands, but I like the Nike bands, but maybe the difference is mostly in my imagination. What I'd really like is a Trail loop, but those are looking like they won't arrive until late October.
The Ocean feels a lot like the Sport band when sweating. There’s a LITTLE more ventilation due to the undulating surface. It’s great for swimming.

I‘m with you, I wanted the Trail loop (The Sport loops are my favorite bands), but didn’t want to wait 4-6 weeks for the watch. I’ve got a black/grey Trail loop ordered with a November 4-18 (!) delivery. I’m sure that will be my daily driver band.

BTW, I’m still amazed at how comfortable the Ocean band is. And the midnight is a perfect blue against the Ti.

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
And when I have time, i will add a focus or shortcut or whatever that replaces one of them with "CheatSheet" since everytime I gas up I have to put in a code. I just store the code there.

Also can't wait to change faces based on work and daily context. Possibilities are endless. Maybe I just change the watch face to time and one big cheat sheet complication when I arrive at the gas station I always visit.
Wow never knew we could set up a shortcut to change complication good to know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.