Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you experiencing throttling after updating to iOS 14.5.1?

• Yes, I am!

• Nope, performance is the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Next question. How do I remove the settings app software update notification badge??! Back when I was on iOS 13 I would download the tvOS beta profile and presto it was fine and gone but it looks like that is no longer available on the beta profiles website or it needs to be updated. Anybody have any ideas? Guess I’ll just live with the red number 1 for awhile again until 14.6 is out and is confirmed to not be as buggy!
In Settings go into storage and delete the update.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Little disappointed macrumors hasn’t even ran an article about it
Yeah this seems to be getting kept rather quiet for some reason. Considering the lawsuits and PR that came from something similar in the past it's in Apple's best interest to address it ASAP, which is more likely to happen if people actually know about it.

I already saw a video where the iPhone 7 was lagging and getting outperformed by a 6th gen iPod touch. That iPod only has the A8 (like iPhone 6) and is pretty slow itself, which just shows how much impact this throttling can have.

Trader05

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I tried this and it didn’t fix anything. So I used this method to go back to 14.5 and it is fixed now on 14.5. I’m going to stay away from 14.5.1. I bet they will fix it next week on 14.6 beta 3. Everyone will probably be stuck with this until they final release 14.6 at the end of this month.
YMMV obviously

I'm sure Apple will push out the 14.5.2 update this week. Apple would say "very small percentage of users experienced this"

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Need some more mainstream exposure for this issue and it sucks there is no acknowledgment about it from apple. I’m not wasting 99 cents on geekbench 5 just to see if my iPhone 12 is affected. I bought geekbench years ago to confirm my 6s was affected with the battery throttling.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I didn't even know there was an issue, nothing seems different to me.
Only saw the thread and it interested me, so spent the whole 99p on Geekbench (didn't realise it was so cheap on iOS).
Results I got match Geekbench site.

Reactions: skardvin

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
I didn't even know there was an issue, nothing seems different to me.
Only saw the thread and it interested me, so spent the whole 99p on Geekbench (didn't realise it was so cheap on iOS).
Results I got match Geekbench site.
When I initially updated to iOS 14.5.1, it was super laggy. In games, the frame rates were horrible, and when opening apps, frame rates were dropping; however, since I did a clean install, it has been running as it used to on iOS 14.5.

Reactions: VespiYT

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Don‘t know where I‘ve heard it (Marques brownlee maybe?!) and I don’t know if it’s true, but apparently after an update the iPhone keeps on updating files in the background which can take up to a day which would explain the problem.
But why, after a clean install, is my performance back to normal? Shouldn't it be updating files in the background after a clean install?

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
I've found a solution to my case, Reset the phone and do not restore any backup, basically fresh reinstall. My geekbench score multi went back to normal 4031 instead of 2336. The minute I restored back my old backups, the throttling is still there. Basically, clean reinstall of everything fresh.

purped94

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
I've found a solution to my case, Reset the phone and do not restore any backup, basically fresh reinstall. My geekbench score multi went back to normal 4031 instead of 2336. The minute I restored back my old backups, the throttling is still there. Basically, clean reinstall of everything fresh.
Are u just doing a simple factory reset once update to 14.5.1 ? Or u restore the clean ipsw files from itunes ?

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
Maybe it’s just a Geekbench app issue? I ran my app yesterday and got half score on Multicore. I ran it this morning and back to normal…I didn’t restart or anything.

Kibark

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2021
Maybe it’s just a Geekbench app issue? I ran my app yesterday and got half score on Multicore. I ran it this morning and back to normal…I didn’t restart or anything.
I would consider that the problem is in the application, if the iphone did not start to be stupid in opening applications and everything else :)

Reactions: ferretex

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
I have done the same erase all setting on 14.6 beta 2 unfortunately the result still the same. Maybe i should try a clean ipsw install
update: apparently after awhile it went back slow again, tried clean IPSW install but still the same. Oh well, I guess it's 14.5.1 itself. Probably have to go back to 14.5

Reactions: Kibark

philheaton

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
Scotland
12 Pro here. Multicore also bring throttled down from 3955 to 2405. Single core score unchanged. My iPad Pro 12.9 4th gen scores unchanged.

r.c.

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Multi core performance down for me significantly after update.

DF528AEA-DCDA-480C-BA37-66AC02DB8C56.jpeg

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Honestly this is a serious and legitimate issue. Surprised Geekbench hasn’t said anything when they were the first to report the differences in the batterygate days.
I personally do not think this is geekbench's. I noticed the problem when I was playing mobile legends after the update. Performance was horrible and I blamed Mobile Legend at first but then I went through this thread and noticed people are having the same throttling issue. I downloaded Geekbench later on and tested out and was right about the significant performance drop. So no, it is not Geekbench

VespiYT

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2016
No this is not just Geekbench, people have been using 3rd party software to check what speed cpu is running at when they experience throttle and it shows the cpu running very slow speeds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.