Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you experiencing throttling after updating to iOS 14.5.1?

• Yes, I am!

• Nope, performance is the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Update: performance slightly better. GB scores still normal. Tried to play mobile legends, less FPS drop. There is still a problem with the performance which can be solved by toggling on low power mode. Very strange indeed.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Nope. It's not.

Geekbench app is buggy on iOS 14 and has been from the start. Do your research.

What is not?

And, what are you saying here? Are you saying that everyone should ignore/take with a pinch of salt the geekbench results because they mean nothing?

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
What is not?

And, what are you saying here? Are you saying that everyone should ignore/take with a pinch of salt the geekbench results because they mean nothing?
This is well known everywhere outside of this thread. The Geekbench app has not returned consistent results in back to back tests since iOS 14.

As usual the Macrumors doomers are clueless.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
This is well known everywhere outside of this thread. The Geekbench app has not returned consistent results in back to back tests since iOS 14.

Yes let’s all ignore the phones feeling slow, running games dog slow and dropped frames. That are fixed, along with GB5 scores, after some corrective actions.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013

The issue is seen across the OS and in other applications as well.

Geekbench has never given exactly the same result in every test, there's a reasonable margin of variance. When it's off by this much though something is going on.

Last edited:

amigosan

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2021
You clearly dont know what the problem is, I could feel my phone being slow in day to day usage
dude I registered just to answer to him but you did it, seriously WHY do those people comment and act as they were aware of something, when they clearly didn't even read about what they're talking about...

anyway, I am receiving an iPhone mini soon (from p30 to mini, Google is really annoying me) so I am really concerned about all those iOS things from now on haha

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
You clearly dont know what the problem is, I could feel my phone being slow in day to day usage
He does not. As if I would simply download geekbench just to find fault. I downloaded geekbench after days of figuring out why my phone was lagging with big huge FPS drops in games and after numerous hard resets and restore. SMH

CastleConsultants

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2021
Gurgaon, India
same here I am having terrible scores on my iPhone 12

hCf14xnp.jpg-large.jpeg k9nPlPLG.jpg-large.jpeg Rq-w0aWe.jpg-large.jpeg

I am just so done with Apple and its crap 1990 relic phones, time to switch to android and something superfast like one plus 9 pro

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I have voted with no but my XS Max is veeeeery laggy and Slow these days. Ram management is awful.

My iPhone from work doesn’t even work anymore. I only see black widgets and I can’t even open the settings app. xD

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
I have voted with no but my XS Max is veeeeery laggy and Slow these days. Ram management is awful.

My iPhone from work doesn’t even work anymore. I only see black widgets and I can’t even open the settings app. xD
My XS works fine other than having the throttling. You might have this issue or possibly another one.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
dude I registered just to answer to him but you did it, seriously WHY do those people comment and act as they were aware of something, when they clearly didn't even read about what they're talking about...

anyway, I am receiving an iPhone mini soon (from p30 to mini, Google is really annoying me) so I am really concerned about all those iOS things from now on haha
Because its simple. Your phone isn't being throttled. Once someone tells you it is, you suddenly notice things that are in no way related, but anecdotal enough for misguide forum witch hunts.

• Haha
Reactions: 0057252

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Because its simple. Your phone isn't being throttled. Once someone tells you it is, you suddenly notice things that are in no way related, but anecdotal enough for misguide forum witch hunts.
Dude, I don’t think this is just a glitch with GB... many other apps that actually display the CPU frequency show that is is not ramping up
properly. In an ideal environment, the CPU will clock down to conserve power and produce less heat when the device is idling. Usually, when the system calls for it, it is supposed to ramp to to the max clock unless power policies dictate otherwise. Many people have been having issues where the frequency is not ramping up properly.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
No, you couldn't. But that's OK. I expect as much to be claimed.

Strange how Apple have just released another beta update addressing this exact issue (amongst others) that you say doesnt exist.

darkinners

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
I spoke to Apple Support about this. They told me to shut down my phone, wait 30 seconds and then restart. geekbench scores seem to be back to normal now, tested it immediately after and after 12 hours. Your mileage may vary.
update: I restarted the iPhone due to another issue I was trying to solve and upon restart, the multicore scare revert back to the 2300-2400 range, after couple pass of shutdown -> 30s -> turn on. Still stuck at 2300-2400 range.
So I guess if you fixed it by this method, please don't reboot your phone.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Looks like it’s fixed in 14.6 beta 3. They have listed it as an issue on startup.

General​

Resolved in iOS & iPadOS 14.6 Beta 3​

• Fixes an issue during startup where iPhone may experience reduced performance. (77540788)

Reactions: Td1970

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
My XS works fine other than having the throttling. You might have this issue or possibly another one.
Well… nope. There is something wrong with iOS. I have this problem on 2 iPhones here.

Attachments

• B411B39A-B34C-479C-B469-3ED4D3BBAACA.png
    B411B39A-B34C-479C-B469-3ED4D3BBAACA.png
    744.9 KB · Views: 72
  • F17F62EC-1441-46D2-9792-740C7CD22415.png
    F17F62EC-1441-46D2-9792-740C7CD22415.png
    745.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Wow
Reactions: LFC2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.