Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you experiencing throttling after updating to iOS 14.5.1?

• Yes, I am!

• Nope, performance is the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Don‘t restart your phone once your scores are back to normal.

LOL, you’re a funny fella - you win the Internet today with that comment . This is Apple we’re talking about. I have to restart my devices almost every single day because of stupid little niggles!

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
What surprises me is that this is an iPhone only issue it seems, as my iPad is working perfectly. iOS and iPadOS are essentially the same thing with a different skin so I wonder what they’ve done to iOS that specifically impacts the phones only. Or it could be a processor generation thing as from what I’ve seen the A12 devices don’t seem to be effected and my iPad has an A12X.

Will check my daughters A14 iPad Air and report back.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
What surprises me is that this is an iPhone only issue it seems, as my iPad is working perfectly. iOS and iPadOS are essentially the same thing with a different skin so I wonder what they’ve done to iOS that specifically impacts the phones only. Or it could be a processor generation thing as from what I’ve seen the A12 devices don’t seem to be effected and my iPad has an A12X.

Will check my daughters A14 iPad Air and report back.
The daughters iPad Air is also working perfect, what a real bizarre bug.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
LOL, you’re a funny fella - you win the Internet today with that comment . This is Apple we’re talking about. I have to restart my devices almost every single day because of stupid little niggles!

My devices have only reset as part of iOS updates for the last year or so, never had to do it manually at all, let alone nearly daily.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
My devices have only reset as part of iOS updates for the last year or so, never had to do it manually at all, let alone nearly daily.

Without question I have to restart my phone and watch at least 3 to 4 times each a week. Email problems, notification problems, HomeKit problems, dictation problems, watch notification problems. And yes this is when set up from new as well.

• Wow
Reactions: orbital~debris

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
I can’t even get a consistent score, mine is all over the place. I did actually manage to get nearly full performance back but then it dropped again.

Hopefully a bug fix will be incoming soon, it seems as if Apple are aware of this issue now.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
Without question I have to restart my phone and watch at least 3 to 4 times each a week. Email problems, notification problems, HomeKit problems, dictation problems, watch notification problems. And yes this is when set up from new as well.
Weird, well I don't use any HomeKit stuff. Also, I don't use the native Mail app, as it's always had issues with Gmail and is sporadic with my Outlook accounts, so I use Spark. Have had 0 issues with Watch, Dictation and any other notifications. I've not set up as new for maybe 4-5 years.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
my iPhone 12 Pro Max can confirm multi core throttling a bit with 14.5.1 vs 14.5.

Attachments

• D8459A2A-FB37-4015-936C-F441E7433AAA.png
    D8459A2A-FB37-4015-936C-F441E7433AAA.png
    871.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 4D881DC3-10FD-4A0E-81F3-16B3B4A1C896.png
    4D881DC3-10FD-4A0E-81F3-16B3B4A1C896.png
    881.3 KB · Views: 76

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Oddly enough I’ve managed to restore mine to full performance, only temporary I suspect.

I powered off via the shutdown menu in the settings app, left it off a few minutes and then ran Geekbench the second it booted up and I put the unlock code and sim pin in.

The first test was back to normal and the 2 subsequent ones are normal too, in fact ever so slightly above average scores for 12PM

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
That's my thought also.
My 1st gen iPad pro is normal.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Hmmm, people are saying it’s happening on 14.6 as well. ?
I haven't seen a performance issue even once – not to say it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen it. Curious how people got onto 14.6 – I usually OTA upgrade but this time I wiped and restored. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Reactions: LFC2020

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
You have to go to the developer site on apple.com and turn on betas for your iPad/iPhone.

Trader05

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Not saying this was done on purpose, but can you imagine the upgrades from the non-techies Apple sold in the past week due to the slowdowns on random phones? ?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Installing a beta is asking for EVEN more trouble.
A beta build, by definition is not ready for general use, so can/will contain bugs.

Also wiping and re-installing an iOS is bloomin ridiculous, I have never done this since release of the very first iPhone.

Reactions: Trader05

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
Hi! I'm glad I found this thread because I immediately noticed worse performance with 14.5.1, which was extremely frustrating because 14.5 seemed to actually improve the phone's performance, which I've been fairly unsatisfied with since getting the 12 Pro. I've been racking my brain over this for a week now.

First off it should be noted that you should not be running a benchmark immediately after an update, restore, or even a reboot. You should let the phone sit on charging for at least an hour after an update or restore before attempting a benchmark test, and give it at least 5 minutes after a reboot.

Second, you should try running two tests in a row. Sometimes, the second test will get improved scores. I know it's been stated that Geekbench has been giving unreliable scores with iOS 14, but I wouldn't have even checked it in the first place if I hadn't felt a noticeable performance downgrade.

I've been trying various fixes all week and determined a few things:

- I've tried multiple restore methods and also the 14.6 betas and they do not fix it, including beta 3.
- Sometimes a reboot fixes it, but not for long.
- The one consistent thing seems to be related to battery percentage. If my phone is almost fully charged, my benchmark scores are normal. Once the battery is below 90% they also start dropping. This seems to be pretty consistent. When the battery drops below 80% I start seeing test scores that are almost half of average. For the record, my battery's health is at 100% and Low Power Mode is not on.

So, I wonder if anyone else can produce similar findings related to battery charge?

amigosan

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2021
Hi! I'm glad I found this thread because I immediately noticed worse performance with 14.5.1, which was extremely frustrating because 14.5 seemed to actually improve the phone's performance, which I've been fairly unsatisfied with since getting the 12 Pro. I've been racking my brain over this for a week now.

First off it should be noted that you should not be running a benchmark immediately after an update, restore, or even a reboot. You should let the phone sit on charging for at least an hour after an update or restore before attempting a benchmark test, and give it at least 5 minutes after a reboot.

Second, you should try running two tests in a row. Sometimes, the second test will get improved scores. I know it's been stated that Geekbench has been giving unreliable scores with iOS 14, but I wouldn't have even checked it in the first place if I hadn't felt a noticeable performance downgrade.

I've been trying various fixes all week and determined a few things:

- I've tried multiple restore methods and also the 14.6 betas and they do not fix it, including beta 3.
- Sometimes a reboot fixes it, but not for long.
- The one consistent thing seems to be related to battery percentage. If my phone is almost fully charged, my benchmark scores are normal. Once the battery is below 90% they also start dropping. This seems to be pretty consistent. When the battery drops below 80% I start seeing test scores that are almost half of average. For the record, my battery's health is at 100% and Low Power Mode is not on.

So, I wonder if anyone else can produce similar findings related to battery charge?
to be honest, nobody "should" do anything of that.
Especially on such a closed ecosystem like apple's one !

It is meant to be perfectly optimized for the devices it runs on, that's why it is so expensive too.
So no, NOBODY should do ANYTHING you wrote (maybe you're giving some good advices, not judging that) and that's very sad you already tested all of this lol

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.