Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you experiencing throttling after updating to iOS 14.5.1?

• Yes, I am!

• Nope, performance is the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.

amigosan

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2021
Because its simple. Your phone isn't being throttled. Once someone tells you it is, you suddenly notice things that are in no way related, but anecdotal enough for misguide forum witch hunts.
"your phone" haha, dude !

you proved to everyone here that you just don't know what you're talking about, but furthermore, you can't even read some simple posts ! lol

anyway, if some of you guys can give a feedback about the new beta update it could be nice, thank you

Reactions: maplingstorie

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
to be honest, nobody "should" do anything of that.
Especially on such a closed ecosystem like the apple's one !

It is meant to be perfectly optimized for the devices it runs on, that's why it is so expensive too.
So no, NOBODY should do ANYTHING you wrote (maybe you're giving some good advices, not judging that)

Welp, turns out its not optimized for many users, and we want to know why.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Hi! I'm glad I found this thread because I immediately noticed worse performance with 14.5.1, which was extremely frustrating because 14.5 seemed to actually improve the phone's performance, which I've been fairly unsatisfied with since getting the 12 Pro. I've been racking my brain over this for a week now.

First off it should be noted that you should not be running a benchmark immediately after an update, restore, or even a reboot. You should let the phone sit on charging for at least an hour after an update or restore before attempting a benchmark test, and give it at least 5 minutes after a reboot.

Second, you should try running two tests in a row. Sometimes, the second test will get improved scores. I know it's been stated that Geekbench has been giving unreliable scores with iOS 14, but I wouldn't have even checked it in the first place if I hadn't felt a noticeable performance downgrade.

I've been trying various fixes all week and determined a few things:

- I've tried multiple restore methods and also the 14.6 betas and they do not fix it, including beta 3.
- Sometimes a reboot fixes it, but not for long.
- The one consistent thing seems to be related to battery percentage. If my phone is almost fully charged, my benchmark scores are normal. Once the battery is below 90% they also start dropping. This seems to be pretty consistent. When the battery drops below 80% I start seeing test scores that are almost half of average. For the record, my battery's health is at 100% and Low Power Mode is not on.

So, I wonder if anyone else can produce similar findings related to battery charge?
Battery charge has nothing to do with it in my case, I’m at 35% and now performing at above the 12PM average benchmarks. This has been consistent for all the tests I’ve done since I managed to somehow restore my performance regardless of battery life.

I don’t know for certain how I managed to restore performance, but my guess is probably something to do with me hitting the processor with a full load the second it booted from a cold boot maybe triggering the processor to go up to its max clock speed and work as normal afterwards. People have said the issue seems to be the processor unable to ramp its clocks up to full speed so I wonder if forcing it to stay at full speed for longer just after boot bypassed the usual down clock for power saving and then afterwards everything has settled back to normal. I may be looking too much into this but after multiple restarts not fixing it and then turning the phone off for a few mins then hitting it with a Geekbench the moment it boots seems to be the only thing that has done the trick.

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
Battery charge has nothing to do with it in my case, I’m at 35% and now performing at above the 12PM average benchmarks. This has been consistent for all the tests I’ve done since I managed to somehow restore my performance regardless of battery life.

I don’t know for certain how I managed to restore performance, but my guess is probably something to do with me hitting the processor with a full load the second it booted from a cold boot maybe triggering the processor to go up to its max clock speed and work as normal afterwards. People have said the issue seems to be the processor unable to ramp its clocks up to full speed so I wonder if forcing it to stay at full speed for longer just after boot bypassed the usual down clock for power saving and then afterwards everything has settled back to normal. I may be looking too much into this but after multiple restarts not fixing it and then turning the phone off for a few mins then hitting it with a Geekbench the moment it boots seems to be the only thing that has done the trick.

Yeah, after doing a little more experimenting, my battery level hypothesis was wrong. The only consistent thing that seems to happen is, after a reboot and waiting about a minute, the geekbench scores will be normal. But then if I check it again a little bit after a reboot, the scores are much lower.

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I know it’s a pain but has anyone erased their config or wiped their phone to see if this is still occurring. Wondering if it is something lingering. So far on an old iPad that I have, it’s been fine. I did the restore via iTunes and wiped it back without a backup restore. Battery and performance seem to be on par with what I would expect in a public release.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
why the silence from Apple if this is an issue? or did I just not see anything from them yet. They have stopped signing 14.5 though

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
why the silence from Apple if this is an issue? or did I just not see anything from them yet. They have stopped signing 14.5 though
It feels pretty quiet in general. MacRumors is yet to even run an article about it.

Apple isn't going to bring attention to an issue that few people are talking about.

The 14.6 beta mentions a fix for "performance issues after start up" so Apple is clearly (at least somewhat) aware.

Reactions: Act3 and Samdh90

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
It feels pretty quiet in general. MacRumors is yet to even run an article about it.

Apple isn't going to bring attention to an issue that few people are talking about.

The 14.6 beta mentions a fix for "performance issues after start up" so Apple is clearly (at least somewhat) aware.

I thought folks are having issues with the 14.6 beta? has a new 14.6 beta taken care of it?

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I thought folks are having issues with the 14.6 beta? has a new 14.6 beta taken care of it?
There have been reports that beta 3 is still problematic, maybe not as common as 14.5.X. Apple stated that a bug was fixed affecting startup performance in iOS 14.6 beta 3. As I said though, users are still having the throttling issue with 14.6b3

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
There have been reports that beta 3 is still problematic, maybe not as common as 14.5.X. Apple stated that a bug was fixed affecting startup performance in iOS 14.6 beta 3. As I said though, users are still having the throttling issue with 14.6b3
Still going strong here, installed beta 3 as soon as the public beta was available.

recommend people on the latest beta that are still having issues, turn your phone off for 30 seconds and the throttling should stop.
78BDA623-7A9F-497A-B2A3-D08465D95417.jpeg

Reactions: Samdh90

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
It seems like it was supposed to but didn't fix it completely. Hopefully another update will address it properly.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
same here I am having terrible scores on my iPhone 12

View attachment 1772678 View attachment 1772677 View attachment 1772680

I am just so done with Apple and its crap 1990 relic phones, time to switch to android and something superfast like one plus 9 pro
Too early conclusion. This just one sloppy iOS version anyway. You can downgrade (few days ago) to the stable 14.5. The sad one is why Apple close downgrade window so quickly given there are still major issues in recent version.

Reactions: Samdh90

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Too early conclusion. This just one sloppy iOS version anyway. You can downgrade (few days ago) to the stable 14.5. The sad one is why Apple close downgrade window so quickly given there are still major issues in recent version.
Probably because that version had a major security flaw. Perhaps they rushed to get this update out which could be why there are performance issues.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Well since managing to restore my performance I don’t appear to have had that screen dimming bug I asked about in my first post of this thread, also my battery life seems improved too.

Looks like some kind of power management bug to me, although I’m not a developer so I can’t say for certain.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Hi! I'm glad I found this thread because I immediately noticed worse performance with 14.5.1, which was extremely frustrating because 14.5 seemed to actually improve the phone's performance, which I've been fairly unsatisfied with since getting the 12 Pro. I've been racking my brain over this for a week now.

First off it should be noted that you should not be running a benchmark immediately after an update, restore, or even a reboot. You should let the phone sit on charging for at least an hour after an update or restore before attempting a benchmark test, and give it at least 5 minutes after a reboot.

Second, you should try running two tests in a row. Sometimes, the second test will get improved scores. I know it's been stated that Geekbench has been giving unreliable scores with iOS 14, but I wouldn't have even checked it in the first place if I hadn't felt a noticeable performance downgrade.

I've been trying various fixes all week and determined a few things:

- I've tried multiple restore methods and also the 14.6 betas and they do not fix it, including beta 3.
- Sometimes a reboot fixes it, but not for long.
- The one consistent thing seems to be related to battery percentage. If my phone is almost fully charged, my benchmark scores are normal. Once the battery is below 90% they also start dropping. This seems to be pretty consistent. When the battery drops below 80% I start seeing test scores that are almost half of average. For the record, my battery's health is at 100% and Low Power Mode is not on.

So, I wonder if anyone else can produce similar findings related to battery charge?
go to settings > general > shut down. wait 30 seconds. and reboot. it worked for me, use Geekbench to test for the scores. I noticed each boot up gives me a different score performance. but I managed to keep doing until I got nice 1594 single 4178 multi and then don't turn off and just phone normally. exciting times

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I wonder if the Geekbench score will stay the same as you use your phone launching and closing apps. If everytime you reboot and get a different Geekbench score then it may not truly representative.
go to settings > general > shut down. wait 30 seconds. and reboot. it worked for me, use Geekbench to test for the scores. I noticed each boot up gives me a different score performance. but I managed to keep doing until I got nice 1594 single 4178 multi and then don't turn off and just phone normally. exciting times

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
I wonder if the Geekbench score will stay the same as you use your phone launching and closing apps. If everytime you reboot and get a different Geekbench score then it may not truly representative.
my games do not lag anymore. no more fps drops. everything is smooth and fast it's unbelievable.

Vadim Russia

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2021
Hello everyone. I have an old iphone 6s. ios 14.5.1 is the most terrible axis. I also encountered such a problem as lag degradation. Especially when you turn on the machine. I wrote to the support team and they don't respond. Also wanted to roll back to ios 14.5 release apple banned the signature. It's horrible. All the installation methods are clean and over the air did not help anything.The only thing I noticed is that the battery has become a little longer to hold. But it's so funny that with the low frequencies of the iphone processor, it's clear to a fool that it will work longer .This is the same as taking and putting on energy saving. I ask anyone who has such a problem on the iphone 6s to share describe the problem.Let's all those who have a problem collectively write to apple maybe they will return the signature of the release ios 14.5 for a while This already happened a few years ago.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Hello everyone. I have an old iphone 6s. ios 14.5.1 is the most terrible axis. I also encountered such a problem as lag degradation. Especially when you turn on the machine. I wrote to the support team and they don't respond. Also wanted to roll back to ios 14.5 release apple banned the signature. It's horrible. All the installation methods are clean and over the air did not help anything.The only thing I noticed is that the battery has become a little longer to hold. But it's so funny that with the low frequencies of the iphone processor, it's clear to a fool that it will work longer .This is the same as taking and putting on energy saving. I ask anyone who has such a problem on the iphone 6s to share describe the problem.Let's all those who have a problem collectively write to apple maybe they will return the signature of the release ios 14.5 for a while This already happened a few years ago.
Update to 14.6 public beta for now

Vadim Russia

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2021
Обновите публичную бета-версию 14.6 на данный момент
Do you have an iphone 6s on beta? Or you're just giving advice. How is it when you start the device, you need to lock it again and then unlock it so that everything falls into place. Here you can clearly see that the problem remains .

gapher

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2021
Updated from iOS 14.5 yesterday to iOS 14.5.1 on my iPhone 11. After the update finished, I was playing CODM and noticed the frame rates were horrible. I checked my settings to make that it was set to the max frame rate, which it was. I then ran a geekbench test, and the scores I got were horrible for the multi-core. I then rebooted my phone to no avail; it was still super slow in games and in opening apps. I then proceeded to do a clean install which seems to have fixed the issue. Now my geekbench score is normal, and performance is what it used to be. What is going on, Apple? Anyone else having this issue? Upload a screenshot of your geekbench score on iOS 14.5.1 and tell us what device you have.
I have an 11 Pro Max 512GB and was amazed at how slow and glitchy it became after the update.
I finally did a fresh install which seems to have fixed the problem. I don't think it's any kind of throttling just a bad update. See my before and after Geekbench results below.

IOS 14.5 Update Issue.png

Reactions: skardvin

Vadim Russia

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2021
Yes, it is very bad that apple closed the rollback on ios 14.5, you just need to write a complaint to everyone who has problems in apple support. At the same time, like fools, we were offered to fix this ban on tracking, but it does not work properly and will not .But there are more lags than fixes. What vulnerability ? Security if apple itself creates more stupid problems and on the most level place after the release. A very ugly attitude not only to old devices but also to new ones. Probably people will slowly start switching to android and here you can understand why.

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
Okay, a little more periodical testing and I have some new results.

- Restoring your device, trying the betas, wiping your device... none of this works. It comes back.
- If you reboot the phone, assuming you have NOT recently updated or performed a restore... wait a few minutes, kill your background apps, and THEN do the test... you should then get normal results.
- If your phone has been on for a while, however, it will start giving lower benchmark results again.
- It's possible the lower your battery charge, the lower the test score will be, provided you have not recently rebooted.

But on the hand I could just be obsessing due to having a lot of time on my hands. Another poster said that this has been happening for a while with Geekbench. While I didn't witness this issue until now, I also didn't frequently check Geekbench until 14.5.1 seemed to give a noticeable performance drop.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Okay, a little more periodical testing and I have some new results.

- Restoring your device, trying the betas, wiping your device... none of this works. It comes back.
- If you reboot the phone, assuming you have NOT recently updated or performed a restore... wait a few minutes, kill your background apps, and THEN do the test... you should then get normal results.
- If your phone has been on for a while, however, it will start giving lower benchmark results again.
- It's possible the lower your battery charge, the lower the test score will be, provided you have not recently rebooted.

But on the hand I could just be obsessing due to having a lot of time on my hands. Another poster said that this has been happening for a while with Geekbench. While I didn't witness this issue until now, I also didn't frequently check Geekbench until 14.5.1 seemed to give a noticeable performance drop.
Mine has been on for nearly 48 hours since I managed to restore my performance and it’s still at full performance.

Reactions: grover5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.