Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you experiencing throttling after updating to iOS 14.5.1?

• Yes, I am!

• Nope, performance is the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.

VespiYT

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2016
Just did a reset and scores now look fine.
Did you do a Factory reset?

I hope this get fixed but mine went
back to normal speed after a factory reset and restore from icloud, but have not restarted phone yet,

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Hadn't really thought about it until I came across this thread..

My 12 Pro Max seems to run extremely hot basically whenever I use my phone.

Ran GB5 and sure enough I am seeing some throttling. Not anywhere near as bad as some I've seen on here, but definitely not running at full performance.

I guess we just need to report it to Apple and it will get fixed in a future SW update.

Attachments

• IMG_3396.PNG
    IMG_3396.PNG
    792.4 KB · Views: 90

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Coincidence or not, but I updated the Facebook app like a fellow member earlier did, and now my figures are back to normal. They were rubbish before and are fine now even after multiple restarts. As I say, coincidence… No idea?

VespiYT

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2016
Coincidence or not, but I updated the Facebook app like a fellow member earlier did, and now my figures are back to normal. They were rubbish before and are fine now even after multiple restarts. As I say, coincidence… No idea?
Does everyone with throttle have Facebook app installed? I have

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Did you do a Factory reset?

I hope this get fixed but mine went
back to normal speed after a factory reset and restore from icloud, but have not restarted phone yet,

What kind of reset?

Yea just a factory reset and setup as a new phone eg didn’t restore from a backup.

Here is GB5 now.
203BD055-3FDA-4361-9A92-1551E3649A07.png

Here it was this morning before a reset. Single core is fine. Metal score was also about 50% slower.

F50834D9-19E7-4156-90BE-C657CAF317C3.jpeg

Chartz

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
I didn’t connect it to iTunes at all, by the way. I’ve never said that.
I just plugged it to the laptop (well actually to the adaptor) and immediately noticed it went back to normal operation, as soon as the blue taskbar appeared.
Since I plugged it to the MBA yesterday the phone has been running smoothly.
No battery drain.
Oh, and I have no Facebook account! ;)
What went wrong is anyone’s guess.
But Apple’s job was (has been?) definitely sloppy here. They should say something about it.

Last edited:

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
As a side note, it’s just incredible that a phone is now twice as powerful as my old laptop that I still regularly use.

Reactions: orbital~debris

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
So I think I found the fix!

The temp fix of the iTunes connection method didn't work for me, my 11P was still sluggish after connecting.

I originally downloaded this update OTA. Tonight, I downloaded the ipsw update for my 11P and installed it through iTunes by holding shift, clicking update and selecting the downloaded file.
After the install I ran a GB benchmark and the scores were normal. I was scared to reboot but pulled the trigger and the scores are indeed normal and my phone is back up to speed.
No resetting or installing a beta necessary!
I tried this and it didn’t change a thing on my 7. I wonder if I could “update” back to 14.5 or if that would screw things up! I don’t have a backup of 14.5. I should have known better but it’s been so long since I’ve had a buggy iOS update.

VespiYT

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2016
I tried this and it didn’t change a thing on my 7. I wonder if I could “update” back to 14.5 or if that would screw things up! I don’t have a backup of 14.5. I should have known better but it’s been so long since I’ve had a buggy iOS update.
I wish Apple made it easier to rollback updates on iOS, why cant we just downgrade without the hassle and without resetting everything, I dont backup my phone before a public release bcus this should not happen with public releases.

Chartz

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
Especially with small intermediate updates!
Those were the worst 100 megs ever!

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Based on my experience with different iPhones and iOS versions, this really sounds like this update messed up power management on some devices. I have seen symptoms like this before. Probably a software error in data between the chip on the battery and motherboard. Plugging in fixed the issue.

Yeah, looks like it fixed the issue with my watch and phone having communication problems. Also, saw about a 10-15 pt boost on performance too. Battery *seems* to still be okay, but aside from texting, emails, and using relatively light weight apps, I couldn't tell you if there's much of a change (I've only ever really needed to charge every other day).

VespiYT

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2016
Same problem on my iPhone Pro Max on ios 14.6 beta. Reboot did not help.
I had to Factory reset to fix it, but I dont know if its fixed permanent or if it will come back, but been god for 20 hours pr something now, I have not tried reboot my phone yet

Reactions: Statusnone88

Kibark

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2021
iPhone 11. After updating to 14.5.1, I noticed slowdowns. found this forum. I decided to check through GB5 - the performance dropped significantly.
C559817B-2A44-487B-BEF9-61BE30F12E99.png

• Sad
Reactions: skardvin

jackbauer1909

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2016
I have done some testing on my 12 PM with 14.5.1
When I reboot the phone and unlock it immediately, the Multi-Core Score is around 2300.
When I wait 5-10 minutes after rebooting before unlocking, the score will be above 4100.
For me, this does not make any sense and I hope it will be fixed ASAP.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
I wish Apple made it easier to rollback updates on iOS, why cant we just downgrade without the hassle and without resetting everything, I dont backup my phone before a public release bcus this should not happen with public releases.

You can install 14.5 over 14.5.1 without issues using the IPSW file and iTunes or Mac.

Going backwards from a .x version to an older .x version requires a full restore process.

VespiYT

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2016
You can install 14.5 over 14.5.1 without issues using the IPSW file and iTunes or Mac.

Going backwards from a .x version to an older .x version requires a full restore process.
So I dont need full restore to rollback to 14.5 from 14.5.1?

Reactions: Samdh90
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.